PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a handgun... not in a car.

boredin818
02-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Hey everyone.

A) I have a soft case for my handgun with a zipper... if i zip it up and then put the zipped up case inside my backpack (used for a laptop) can I carry it around like that? Unloaded... with no ammo anywhere, including in the bag or on my person.

B) If the answer is no.... does the answer change if my eventual destination that day is the target range?

Thanks guys!

CornFedWB
02-23-2010, 10:30 AM
I wondered the same thing. Were in Commifornia, i'll just assume "place your hand on your head and walk backwards towards the sound of my voice" is the answer.

djleisure
02-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Hey there, this has been asked and answered quite a few times. I know the site search sucks, but if you hit the "CGN Google Search" link in the upper right hand corner of the nav, you can then search "handgun trasnsport" and get a TON of info.

Give that a shot and if you don't get your answer, come on back here!

asgalindez
02-23-2010, 10:32 AM
As long as the handgun is secured (meaning locked up), I don't see any problem.

Run a cable lock through the gun, then put it in the soft case, then in your backpack. (<--Disregard that...because of what Turo said...and he's right. This would be ok if you throw it in the trunk of a car.)

Put the gun in the soft case, put soft case in backpack, then lock the backpack.

OR

Put the gun in the soft case and lock the soft case, then put in your backpack.

SJgunguy24
02-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Is the gun in a locked container? If yes then what are you worried about?

boredin818
02-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Hey there, this has been asked and answered quite a few times. I know the site search sucks, but if you hit the "CGN Google Search" link in the upper right hand corner of the nav, you can then search "handgun trasnsport" and get a TON of info.

Give that a shot and if you don't get your answer, come on back here!

I tried that first... but most of what I found was transporting in the car.

Turo
02-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Run a cable lock through the gun, then put it in the soft case, then in your backpack.

This does not meet the law's definition of "locked container." The pistol must be completely enclosed by the locking container with no ammo in the gun.

To the OP:

If the soft case you have can be locked, usually by padlocking the zippers together, then you can throw it in your backpack and be on your merry way.

If it doesn't, you better make sure you lock the zippers on your backpack.

If neither are locked, you are transporting a concealed handgun and breaking the law.

asgalindez
02-23-2010, 10:47 AM
This does not meet the law's definition of "locked container." The pistol must be completely enclosed by the locking container with no ammo in the gun.

To the OP:

If the soft case you have can be locked, usually by padlocking the zippers together, then you can throw it in your backpack and be on your merry way.

If neither are locked, you are transporting a concealed handgun and breaking the law.

I adjusted my post to correct my error.

SJgunguy24
02-23-2010, 10:50 AM
As long as the handgun is secured (meaning locked up), I don't see any problem.

Run a cable lock through the gun, then put it in the soft case, then in your backpack. (<--Disregard that...because of what Turo said...and he's right. This would be ok if you throw it in the trunk of a car.)Put the gun in the soft case, put soft case in backpack, then lock the backpack.

OR

Put the gun in the soft case and lock the soft case, then put in your backpack.

In bold not needed if handgun transported in trunk of car. The trunk is a locked container.

GrizzlyGuy
02-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Turo is correct, see this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=163061). See also here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=235940) for some ideas on containers, and here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=271977) where a similar question came up a few days ago.

boredin818
02-23-2010, 12:27 PM

To the OP:

Ok cool... the soft case is locked with a combo lock. So I'm good :)