PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 Magazine Question

huck
02-23-2010, 9:08 AM
I have a friend who purchased a new Glock 17 in September. It came with two, 10 round magazines. He has since purchased four more 10 round magazines for it (authentic Glock brand) - making a total of six mags.

He just noticed that he can easily get 11 rounds into each magazine - the two that came with the gun and all four that he purchased later.

Is this common? Should he be worried?

McCrown
02-23-2010, 9:16 AM
He should enjoy his hi-cap mags. He did nothing illegal, but if he is worried he could send them back to glock and let them know, they should take care of it.

If he does keep them then he has to abide by the hi-cap law, meaning no lending, giving, or selling them except as parts.

Voo
02-23-2010, 9:16 AM
I can do this on one of my 10 round magazines as well.. It's far from easy though..

I dont see any issues legally, so long as he hasnt modified them to hold more than 10.. Nobody is going to come kicking down your door over OEM magazines that hold one extra round, especially if they came that way from the factory..

I would only be concerned with putting excessive force on the feed lips..

SJgunguy24
02-23-2010, 9:17 AM
None of the 10 round mags I had would fit 11. If they did I really don't think i'd walk around telling on myself if they did. Somethings are just better left alone.

CornFedWB
02-23-2010, 9:21 AM
Lucky! I'm always wondering if one of the 10/30 pmags I get from riflegear is gonna have room for one more. If I were him, you wouldnt know :shifty:

Turo
02-23-2010, 9:25 AM
I have a friend who purchased a new Glock 17 in September. It came with two, 10 round magazines. He has since purchased four more 10 round magazines for it (authentic Glock brand) - making a total of six mags.

He just noticed that he can easily get 11 rounds into each magazine - the two that came with the gun and all four that he purchased later.

Is this common? Should he be worried?

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be
manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity
magazine.

Did your "friend" :p do any of the above bolded things? No.
Therefore, your "friend" broke no law and legally acquired high capacity magazines after Jan 1, 2000. No harm no foul.

That said, even though no law was broken, I'd still tell your "friend" to keep his/her mouth shut in reference to the magazines. Did nothing illegal, but just to be on the safe side...

One other thing, now that this person owns high (>10 round) capacity magazines, he/she can legally rebuild them into standard Glock 17 magazines. Which I believe are 15(?) rounds.

*Disclaimer*This isn't legal advice which can only be given by a lawyer.

SJgunguy24
02-23-2010, 9:29 AM
Did your "friend" :p do any of the above bolded things? No.
Therefore, your "friend" broke no law and legally acquired high capacity magazines after Jan 1, 2000. No harm no foul.

That said, even though no law was broken, I'd still tell your "friend" to keep his/her mouth shut in reference to the magazines. Did nothing illegal, but just to be on the safe side...

One other thing, now that this person owns high (>10 round) capacity magazines, he/she can legally rebuild them into standard Glock 17 magazines. Which I believe are 15(?) rounds.

*Disclaimer*This isn't legal advice which can only be given by a lawyer.

G17 mags=17 rounds.
G19 mags=15 rounds

huck
02-23-2010, 9:34 AM
Voo: By "easily", I mean it doesn't require a tool or anything and it doesn't appear to damage the magazine.

Turo: It REALLY IS a friend and not me. I prefer American built weapons with strict tolerances and not sloppy European stuff that allows extra bullets to be put where they don't belong.:patriot:

ocspeedracer
02-23-2010, 9:37 AM
ya but since it's a single stack i think it might compress the springs as much as a 17 round mag plus an extra thereby overcompressing the springs...I'm not positive, i'll have to compare when i get home tonight

BamBam-31
02-23-2010, 9:41 AM
Turo: It REALLY IS a friend and not me. I prefer American built weapons with strict tolerances and not sloppy European stuff that allows extra bullets to be put where they don't belong.:patriot:

Okay, that's a ten page thread all on it's own. :p

I would keep my mouth shut and not worry about it either. I also wouldn't build them into 17-rounders, but that's me. :shrug:

Scratch705
02-23-2010, 9:41 AM
would one be walking a grey area if they purchase .40s&w mags to use in a g17/19 specifically b/c it can hold over 10+ 9mm rounds?

Turo
02-23-2010, 9:42 AM
G17 mags=17 rounds.
G19 mags=15 rounds

Ahh, yes. I need to do some more studying. *scampers off to read more about glocks*

Lol I'm just messin'. The whole hypothetical "my friend" thing always makes me laugh;).

SJgunguy24
02-23-2010, 9:52 AM
Turo, it's cool. BTW my G17 mags hold 22 rounds.

huck
02-23-2010, 9:59 AM
Lol I'm just messin'. The whole hypothetical "my friend" thing always makes me laugh;).

Yes, I like the "friend" posts, too.

Dear Calguns,

I know this guy... Let's say his name is Bob. Well, Bob went to Vegas last weekend and maybe he messed around with a questionable female one night and after about 3 days later, he had this funny burning feeling that wouldn't go away and...

Turo
02-23-2010, 10:04 AM
:rofl2: