PDA

View Full Version : First time post, first time gun buyer

okim08
02-23-2010, 6:31 AM
Hi all, just purchased my first handgun a luger p95. Can you guys/gals recommend good ammo for it? I plan on taking it to the range this weekend. Thanks!

nn3453
02-23-2010, 6:48 AM
You mean a Ruger, not a Luger. A Luger is a German WWII era collectible pistol.

Most store bought 9mm should function fine.

Here is a discussion on whether you should shoot 9mm +P through your Ruger P95.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=145420

okim08
02-23-2010, 7:09 AM
Thanks! Sorry I was looking at ammo with the name luger.

Nynvolt
02-23-2010, 7:20 AM
In 9mm Luger target ammo I have always had good luck with fiocchi and blazer (aluminum case). Blazer is one of the least expensive also witch is a bonus.

For home defense, opinions vary wildly. I like Winchester pdx1 bonded hollow points but admit I only bought them due to internet reviews, which have been positive.

redhemi
02-23-2010, 7:34 AM
Congrats on you purcase. The P95 will probably outlast you and give you very few problems if any. I don,t have is model but I do own several Rugers and I am very happy with all of them. I do have a buddy who has this model and it shoots everything he puts in it. I got mad at him one time when we were at the range and I took a turn at shooting it, I noticed it has kinda dirty and asked him about it and he said he hasn,t cleaned it the last 3 times we had been shooting :eek: so I,d say it had about 300 rounds through it and it still functioned perfectly of course I told him he should clean it after we were done that day. As always be safe and enjoy your new gun, Redhemi

Old4eyes
02-23-2010, 7:37 AM
Congrats on your new gun. Hope the two of you enjoy many safe hours together at the range.

As a former newbie (we all got to start somewhere) just a note on the luger thing.

9mm ammo can be purchased in 3 sizes, and you need to pick the right one.

9mm Luger - Luger is German for large. It is 9x19 mm. AKA 9mm Parabellum
9mm Kurz - Kurz is German for short. 9x17mm, commonly known as 380 ACP
9mm Makaraov - A Russian designed Gun / bullet. 9x18. Actually 9.3 x 18mm

So when you are buying ammo you'll be looking for the magic words:
Luger, 9x19, Parabellum - that sort of thing.

As to which FMJ, Self Defense, Weight +p, not +p, +p+ etc, Google is your friend.

If you haven't done so, take a course from a qualified instructor.

And my opinion was free, and worth what you paid for.

okim08
02-23-2010, 9:31 AM
thanks guys for all your help. I went with the blazer 9 mm to start with. I'll be taking a certified gun course in the next few weeks. Do you recommend cleaning the gun before I head to the range? I've hear differing opinions, at the very least clean out the excess oil in the barrell.

ocspeedracer
02-23-2010, 9:40 AM
Old English outfitters had a good deal on +p spear golddot, not sure if it still does...my Glocks love the stuff

Black Majik
02-23-2010, 9:54 AM
Congrats on your first handgun. Definitely clean the gun before bringing it to the range. A quick patch through the barrel, wipe off old grease/oil and relube with your favorite lubricant.

Good luck and safe shooting!

pogo
02-23-2010, 9:58 AM
Hey welcome okim08!!

How did you happen to find your way here to calguns?

All of the Rugers I've owned have been built as strong and solid as tanks, and were/are very reliable.

There's a good 'new member' intro board here you might find interesting .....
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=63

.... not to mention regional boards where you can check local issues and items of interest, palaver, and meet up with and shoot with folks in your area:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=183

-pogo

BunnySlayer
02-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Old4eyes has it right. Make sure the ammo you are using/buying is the correct 9mm for your gun. It's amazing how confusing the 9m cartridge can be.
9mm Luger, Parabellum, Nato, 9x19 are all one in the same,
9x21, 9x23, 9mm Steyer, 9mm Bergman-Bayard, and those mentioned above by old4eyes are NOT suitable in your gun and may even be dangerous. It can be confusing for a begginning shooter. If in doubt....ask.

boredin818
02-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Hey welcome okim08!!

How did you happen to find your way here to calguns?

All of the Rugers I've owned have been built as strong and solid as tanks, and were/are very reliable.

There's a good 'new member' intro board here you might find interesting .....
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=63

.... not to mention regional boards where you can check local issues and items of interest, palaver, and meet up with and shoot with folks in your area:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=183

-pogo

Probably the same way that I found my way here. Everytime I called an FFL to get info on things I was looking for I was told about this site :)

okim08
02-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Found my way here thru a friend. Great site, and will be on here to check out all the blogs. I settled on these for ammo - 9MM CCI BLAZER 115GR FMJ. Sounds about right for the P95.

redhemi
02-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Definitely clean it, most guns come from the factory with lots of oil and grease so my suggestion would be to get out your manuel and field strip it,clean it good and lightly reoil it per manuel, it will make for a better first time experience, Redhemi

cindynles
02-23-2010, 12:29 PM
My P95 eats anything from the cheapest range reloads to the most expensive hollow point ammo. In the last 10 years I have not any firearm or ammo related malfunctions. One of the best values out there for a semi auto hand gun.

okim08
02-23-2010, 12:55 PM
My P95 eats anything from the cheapest range reloads to the most expensive hollow point ammo. In the last 10 years I have not any firearm or ammo related malfunctions. One of the best values out there for a semi auto hand gun.

Great to hear, that's one of the reasons I bought it. Crossing my fingers for the same reliability as yours.

tiko
02-23-2010, 6:05 PM
Congrats on the P95.
I found my way here by Google.

ElvenSoul
02-23-2010, 6:08 PM
For the 9MM Corbon was tested as deadliest by the FBI a few years ago.