PDA

View Full Version : Ideneb?

NSR500
02-23-2010, 6:15 AM
Anybody here running with ideneb on a machine? I'm getting pretty dangerous with Windows 7, and Ubuntu 9.10 already. Not too much of a Mac guy, but I've worked on a few. I'm just wondering if it is worth the PIA to run a third partition and try a triple boot with ideneb.
Anything worthwhile on Snow Leopard to actually wow me?

bigmike82
02-23-2010, 6:51 AM
"Anything worthwhile on Snow Leopard to actually wow me?"
Not if you don't have the slick hardware with it. I don't think there's anything in OSX that Windows or Linux can't do better, for cheaper.

If you're supporting Macs at work, it's a different story. There, it could be helpful to allow you mess with a mac install without screwing up someone's machine (worse).

NSR500
02-23-2010, 1:19 PM
Thanks!
I was just going to do it to hone the skills, but if it's so hardware reliant, it may not be worth the headache.

sfwdiy
03-02-2010, 3:09 PM
Thanks!
I was just going to do it to hone the skills, but if it's so hardware reliant, it may not be worth the headache.

I don't know about hardware reliant. I run a hackintosh media center in my house on generic hardware and it's pretty bulletproof. You don't need a screaming fast machine to run OS X well, but if you want to do a hackintosh install you need to make sure the hardware you get is compatible.

If you head over to http://www.osx86project.org/ there's a huge amount of information there about the various types of installs and a large hardware compatibility list. See if your hardware is listed there. If so, you may be able to do a vanilla install with just EFI strings to get it working, with minimal hacking.

--B