PDA

View Full Version : Colt Defender .45ACP

Fobanginvtek
02-22-2010, 11:22 PM
I am going to be 21 in 2 weeks. Going to purchase my very first pistol. I was looking into a Colt Defender .45ACP (love my dads colt iv mustang .380 pocketlite). Anyone have any experiences with this? .45 is kind of a pricey caliber for me, but im willing to put out. Also thinking of browning hi-power mark III .

9mmepiphany
02-22-2010, 11:49 PM
be aware the the .45ACP 1911 platform begins to show increasing reliability issues as the barrel/slide length goes below 4.25". the 3.5" Officer's ACP was pretty borderline and the 3" Defender's shortened barrel/slide makes the action's timing even more critical.

if you want a 1911 style pistol in that size range with more reliability, might i suggest the Springfield Armory EMP, which has good reliability and is cheaper to feed as it is chambered in 9mm

Fobanginvtek
02-23-2010, 12:16 AM
I also considered the EMP. Have you fired either? My only issue in the EMP in 9mm is it doesn't hold as much ammo. If im going to get a 9mm I want it to be a home-security type pistol, that will hold atleast 10rnd mag. But the EMP for some target shooting would be great IMO.

Fobanginvtek
02-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Im searching some more, and a few years ago people had problems that shells were flying back at them no matter how hard they gripped it. Also having to change the recoil spring every 2,000-3,000 rounds fired. I wonder if they have fixed the problem....

9mmepiphany
02-23-2010, 12:47 AM
here's some pictures i took of my new EMP
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=271236

i used to carry a Colt Officer's LW ACP and like the feel and workmanship of the EMP better. i handled a Defender, before i settled on the EMP...the resizing of the action and adjusting the timing...plus the ramped barrel won me over. the EMP holds 9+1 rounds, i may case, it will be Ranger 127gr +P+

the EMP i had previously fired kicked the shells off to the side, i haven't had a chance to shoot mine yet...hoping for tomorrow...the angle that shells fly has to do with the ejector, SA will adjust it if you're not happy

you're suppose to change recoil springs between 3000-5000 rounds on full sized gun anyway, 2000-3000 seems like a pretty normal interval for a compact, much less a sub-compact

a lot of smaller guns require that their recoil springs be changed at 1000-1500 rounds

Miltiades
02-23-2010, 3:13 AM
I've had a Colt Defender for about 5 years and have put 1000 rounds through it. It has worked reliably for me and is a well made gun. If this is your first gun and is not intended for concealed carry, however, I would recommend a larger .45 than the Defender. Because of its small size, it is not as easy to shoot well as a full size 1911 or some alternative .45s like the Sig P220 or the H&K USP.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/ColtDefender71.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/pogo2/Three45s02-1.jpg

Mr. Joshua
02-23-2010, 3:30 AM
If this is your first gun and is not intended for concealed carry, however, I would recommend a larger .45 than the Defender. Because of its small size, it is not as easy to shoot well as a full size 1911 or some alternative .45s like the Sig P220 or the H&K USP.

Couldn't agree more.

To the OP, do yourself a favor and get a full size 1911, you'll be much happier in the long run.

dfletcher
02-23-2010, 7:49 AM
Is this your "first handgun" or just your first handgun purchase? I have an EMP and a Colt Defender and I like them very much - but I really can't think of a worse choice for a first handgun (3" 44 Mag, 2 " 357?) unless it's for concealed carry, which I'm guessing it is not.

The EMP holds 10 rounds which is "more" than the conventional 1911, but they are 9mm and not 45 ACP.

If it's a 1911 you want get a full sized version and if you like add a 22 conversion kit so you can do ACP and 22 lr. You could do the same thing with a Browning Hi Power.

The Defender and EMP are great guns, but I don't think they suit the purpose in this instance - maybe the Defender should be "the next" 1911 you get.

dachan
02-23-2010, 8:59 AM
Couldn't agree more.

To the OP, do yourself a favor and get a full size 1911, you'll be much happier in the long run.

On the otherhand, think about why you're buying this gun. If you're the 1/100 twenty year old with the maturity to be interested in learning marksmanship or historic traditions, then get your grandfather's gun. If instead you want a shiny new toy to flash at your buddies and/or girlfriend a couple of nights a month at the range, then the Defender is the one to get.

Fobanginvtek
02-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys. This is my first Handgun/pistol purchase being that I will be 21 very soon. I have shot a variety of pistols and calibers. Im seeing pros and cons about both EMP and the Defender....maybe get both....who knows. I am using for target and homedefense for now. I will have a collection in the future, but since this is my first and I wont be getting a pistol for a few months, I want this to serve as my range and home-defense pistol. If this is the case, i think im leaning towards the EMP since it would be cheaper ammo, and hold a decent load.

jimmythebrain
02-23-2010, 2:38 PM
I have a Colt Defender. Mine is a nice, accurate (enough) pistol. I also have two full size 1911's and a Commander size 1911. I had at on e time thought to sell of my Defender but every time I shoot it I talk myself out of it. Recoil is more than a full size secondary to size and an alloy frame (compared to a steel frame).

I would definitely get a 45 ACP over a 9 MM in this size gun, 1911 platform. Don't get me wrong I have a compact polymer 9 MM so I am not dogging the 9 MM. But if you are going to have a reduced magazine capacity, then carry the biggest round that you can shoot accurately.

The only addition I made to my Defender was Trijicons. Also, use Wilson Combat magazines instead of the factory ones.

This maybe a little off topic but I would say that my Dan Wesson CBOB is an excellent compromise between conceal-ability and accuracy in the 1911 platform. The CBOB is more accurate than I am able to shoot/hold at 25 yards. Both my 5 inch 1911's are capable of greater accuracy than I am.

Fobanginvtek
02-23-2010, 7:02 PM
i agree...maybe this will be my second pistol i get or something...

macey109
02-24-2010, 4:09 AM
love my defender- no problems at all... Don't limpwrist it and you should be fine. I would agree that is probably not the best place to start.

Mr. Beretta
02-24-2010, 7:47 AM
Being lightweight, they seem to "kick" alittle more than a GM. With practice however, you can master it. I love mine!