PDA

View Full Version : 1911

mxadam579
02-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Well guys and gals i want to add to my small gun collection. I am looking to get my first 1911 in .45 sumthing around the $1000 range and also sumthing i can possible convert to a 10mm please help...thanks adam

mxadam579
02-22-2010, 11:03 PM
mostly gonna be just for plinking and HD not sure which length to get i have a baby eagle compact 45 now thanks

9mmepiphany
02-22-2010, 11:38 PM
the most reliable length will always be the 5" models...they have the most leeway in the timing of the action, which would become more important if you decide to convert to a higher pressure cartridge.

i think your best my in the lower-medium priced 1911s would be a Dan Wesson PM-7

jbooker9
02-23-2010, 7:24 AM
Get one of the gsr sigs at turners there on sale for $949, either that or a smith and wesson.

http://www.turners.com/engage/displayads.php

bear
02-23-2010, 7:49 AM
I've never heard of any one model of 1911 being particulary easy to 'convert' to 10mm. But certainly if you do that, a full size, 5 inch barrel, would be the ticket. Just about any reputable brand, emphasis Kimber, who I think makes a 10mm also. I haven't checked the DOJ 'LIST' for 10mm as I have no interest in that caliber. I would suggest considering a used gun, they often times offer a better value than new, especially in this state. What guns have you handled in gun shops or shows? The more you touch, the better you can tell which one feels right. Springfields feel a bit blocky compared to Kimbers or Colts. Do you care about the Firing Pin Safety thingies? Or External Extractors? Made in USA ? These make a difference to purists (like myself) but not to any reasonable person. Just about any brand will make a good one, but in your price range, I suggest Kimber or Colt makes the best value.

i1800collect
02-23-2010, 8:17 AM
for a new 1911, look into a springfield loaded and s&w1911. dan wesson raised their prices for this year and they're really now priced out of the $1000 range. if you do happen to run across a used/new dan wesson for $900-$1000, jump on it.

AFAIK, there isnt a way to quick swap a 1911 chambered in .45ACP to fire 10mm.

wamphyri13
02-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Sure there is. Just buy a complete upper in 10mm plus an ejector, plus magazines. If it's a Colt, no fitting should be required. They're sloppy fit anyway.:rofl:

mxadam579
02-23-2010, 1:15 PM
so i should stay away from a colt

wamphyri13
02-23-2010, 4:51 PM
so i should stay away from a colt

Sorry, that's not what I meant. People who know Colt, know what I meant.
I'll explain. Colt is usually the loosest fitting gun. If you hold it, and shake it, they make a lot of rattling noises. This is an ongoing joke. It's like Coke vs. Pepsi, Ford vs. Chevy, etc. With today's higher end 1911's with tighter tolerances, Colt is still closer to mil spec. Actual mil spec. Loose fit generally means will shoot anything, run through anything, mud, sand, wet, etc., while tight tolerance guns have trouble if you sneeze on them on a cold day. (sic)
I have a Colt Elite Ten Forty. Nothing really wrong with Colt.
Ryan

sofine354
02-23-2010, 5:13 PM
Plinking and HD? And you're looking to spend $1000 on one pistol? Instead, buy two springfield GIs, ramp and throat 'em yourself. Or, if you look hard enough you can find reimported WWII Colts and might be able to afford two of 'em. I have one and it is the best HD gun. It protected a guy in the pacific theater in '44 and that's good enough for me.

Any HD situation is close range, and a sloppy mil-spec is more than addequately tuned for under 20 yard accuracey. For your first 1911, I would recommend getting two no nonsense GI style pistol, and then tailor them to your liking as the years go by. You will be much happier than dropping that much cake on one gun that won't be any better for your needs.

Plus, with two you can do wicked "Last Man Standing" style shootouts. Ya know, if you have to.

huckberry668
02-23-2010, 5:15 PM
My Colt Gold Cup National Match rattles but doesn't chamber Federal Hydra Shocks. My Entrerprise Titleist has a tight fit but chambers everything and shoots on par with the Gold Cup.

Tightly fitted 1911s do have a better accuracy potential. I like my Colt 1911 but wouldn't buy another one again since there are so many good ones out there.

For around $1k you might want to think about Springfield Operator from Buds Gunshop. We had one came in for transfer for $1089. Rail, night sight and match grade components, fitting and accurate too.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/ST_Springfield_200803/index1.html

tiko
02-23-2010, 6:01 PM
My TRS and Premium II are very tight but eat everything, never got a single failure for 2000 rds, and I do not clean them so often, just every 500 rds.