PDA

View Full Version : What is this COLT 45 Series 70 and Luger 22cal worth? Please Help!

supermario
02-22-2010, 9:02 PM
Hello guys, my father in law has 3 guns but has no idea what they are worth. Neither do I. Here are some crappy cell pics, hope you guys can help.

First is a Stainless (i think, kinda looks like nickel) Colt 45cal, it reads
Colts MK IV/ SERIES 70 Government Model 45 Automatic Caliber. It has pachmyer grips and the bore is a decent shape. It does appear to have scratches here and there and a couple of what appears to be pit marks? Not sure though. What would you guys think this could sell for on here or wherever. I may make him an offer, depending on price.

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/supermariov/Colt45.jpg

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/supermariov/co.jpg

Second up is a very old 22cal "LUGER" (not ruger) it says Manufactured in USA
by Stoeger Arms Corporation, S. Hackensack, New Jersey. This gun appears in fair shape, no rust or scratches, just a dull old finish and appears to function fine.

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/supermariov/22luger.jpg

The 3rd gun is an older Ruger 22. I dont have a pic but it looks just like a Ruger Mk11 but it just says Ruger 22 cal on it. This Ruger is in perfect shape, no blemishes or scratches and funtions fine. The serial number is in the 5200 range. It must be the first model becus i think this was giving to my father in law when he was younger. He is now 55yrs. Anyways, i hope you guys can help me out with what these are worth.

bear
02-23-2010, 7:59 AM
Hard to say without seeing them, but look these up on Gunbroker and Gunsamerica, etc. I would hazard a guess the Colt is around $1,000-1,500.
The Luger between $350 to $450. The Ruger might have 'collector' status due to age. Say between $300 to $650-ish? "Worth" in this economy is way different from 3 years ago, or, hopefully, 3 years from now.

supermario
02-23-2010, 8:29 AM
Probably best to take them into a Gunsmith huh, to see the condition they are in? Thanks for helping me out though.

ivanimal
02-23-2010, 8:44 AM
First run Ruger MKI's are very collectible as Sturm died and they changed the grips to signify this.Grips from the first year are rare. I have one and would value it at 6-800. Because it was my first semi auto handgun it will never leave my collection.

From wikipedia;
From the time of its introduction in the fall of 1949, the new pistol was a success, and though it faced competition from the beginning it soon dominated a large share of the rimfire pistol market segment. Unfortunately Alex Sturm did not survive to see the corporation's ultimate success, suffering an untimely demise from viral hepatitis in November 1951. In memorial and as a mark of respect and bereavement, Ruger ordered the background of Sturmís eagle emblem changed from red to black on future production models of the popular and successful firearm they produced and marketed together.

The series 70 looks to be electroless nickel, again a rarer gun. With the blemishes I would pay7- 800 or so. It is still a series 70 and a great gun. The little luger replica has had a huge following and a perfect one could get as high as 800 dollars. Most go for between 4-600

supermario
02-23-2010, 3:06 PM
First run Ruger MKI's are very collectible as Sturm died and they changed the grips to signify this.Grips from the first year are rare. I have one and would value it at 6-800. Because it was my first semi auto handgun it will never leave my collection.

From wikipedia;

The series 70 looks to be electroless nickel, again a rarer gun. With the blemishes I would pay7- 800 or so. It is still a series 70 and a great gun. The little luger replica has had a huge following and a perfect one could get as high as 800 dollars. Most go for between 4-600

:eek: WOW, where are you located? Are you in SOCAL? It would be great if you could see them in person and maybe get a better look at them. I didnt think they were worth that much. thanks for the info! Im gonna try to get some good pics of the Ruger and make sure its the older model.

ivanimal
02-23-2010, 4:41 PM
Sorry, I am in the bay area. But I am not sorry I live here!:)

rabagley
02-23-2010, 7:45 PM
I'm in socal and I'd jump on that series 70 for $800 in a heartbeat except... I'm trying to buy and equip a fishing kayak for the summer season so all of the gun funds are tied up for the next 3 months or so!!!

AAuuugghhh!!!

Don't let that Colt go for less than $950. It's a non-roster gun and worth plenty in CA. Especially to "old school" handgunners like myself.

supermario
02-23-2010, 8:20 PM
I'm in socal and I'd jump on that series 70 for $800 in a heartbeat except... I'm trying to buy and equip a fishing kayak for the summer season so all of the gun funds are tied up for the next 3 months or so!!!

AAuuugghhh!!!

Don't let that Colt go for less than $950. It's a non-roster gun and worth plenty in CA. Especially to "old school" handgunners like myself.

Thanks for the info, I will find out if he really needs $ now, if not, maybe he will hold it for you;) He is not doing well financially and probably wont be getting any better, so he may sell them. Or maybe, since i am family, i will give him $600 for it :D

Khram
02-23-2010, 9:39 PM
Thos Luger .22lr Stoegers can be problematic and jam quite a bit. The Erma version is supposedly a bit better. I paid $150 for one in 2002, sold it for $250 like in 2003. Early Ruger MK I's can vary in price, I'd need to see it for a better evaluations. I have bought or seen offered more modern common variety MK1's sub $200 quite often.