PDA

View Full Version : Compensated Glocks

f33dback
02-22-2010, 7:09 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see that I can buy Glock "C" models here in Sacramento, however the pistol I currently own isn't compensated.
Anyone have any experience with buying 3rd party drop in barrels that have ports?
I do know I can contact the DOJ for the legals, more curious about the benefits.

4literranger485
02-22-2010, 7:17 PM
it'll blind you if you ever shoot it at night lol

f33dback
02-22-2010, 7:37 PM
I've heard that, though honestly nothing else, including whether or not they improve accuracy.
Some how I have trouble believing the blinding at night/in the dark, your eyes would have to be fully dilated to be blinded by a compensation flash, how much worse than a muzzle flash would that be?

4literranger485
02-22-2010, 7:40 PM
the comp ports are atop the barrel. seems like it'd put the blast right in your face. and even shooting a pistol at dusk shows a pretty big muzzle flash. just dont notice it much in daylight.

my comment is purely from a self-defense in your home standpoint. i'm sure they are fun for target shooting all day long! seems like it'd help with TA on follow up shots.

Voo
02-22-2010, 7:40 PM
There's nothing "illegal" about having ports in a barrel.. SOME compensators however sometimes require that you 'thread' the barrel for them to attach.. Once you thread it, that becomes a big No-No in Kaliforniastsan..

Glock's version of the a compensated gun is simply ports cut into the slide and barrel.. Other compensators are actually "attachments" that you would place onto the end of an extended barrel via threads, bolts, bubblegum etc etc..

If you shoot a compensated glock side by side with a non-comped OEM glock, you'll notice the difference.. I've only done the pepsi challenge on a G17-C and a regular G17.. As I said, it's noticeable but IMHO, it's nothing to write home about.

Compensators are designed to redirect gas to counteract the muzzle rise/flip.. The more gas you have, the more effective the compensator can be. From talking to IPSC Open shooters, this lack of gas makes it more difficult to reduce the muzzle flip as you just dont have much volume to work with.. This is when comparing 9Major vs. 38 super. - With standard pressure 9mm, you're talking even less volume.

As for shooting a compensated glock at night.. This has been discussed before.. There was this enormous debate about "if" it blinded you or not.. Some said it did, some said it didnt.. Some guessed.. When it comes to low light shooting, I say unless you've done it, opinion isn't very useful... Its simply based on guesses and conjecture.. It's like asking a 6 yr old his opinion.. The answer you get will probably be just as valid.. no offense, but that's how i see this topic..

The G17C i shot had nightsights.. At night, under just starlight? moonlight? You could see the metal target and the tritium dots... With every shot, you could see the ports jet a dull red flame maybe an inch or two from the gun... after a few shots, I had trouble finding the front sight.. Thats MY experience.. YMMV..

Doheny
02-22-2010, 7:44 PM
I have a G23C. It won't blind you at night and it won't throw anything in your face. My only complaint is that it makes my front sight dirty. I use gun show reloads which tend to be dirty and the soot gets on the front sight. After cleaning it a number of times, I wore the white ring off of the front sight (the white ring around the tube.)

Other than the above, they're fine. Not sure what caliber you're thinking about, but there really isn't a need for one on a 9mm. Where it really helps in on the G23 which is .40 and pretty snappy. The ports/compensation help a lot with the recoil and allow you to stay on target.

In regards to drop in barrels, you're fine. You obviously are going to need a barrel with ports that extend past your slide since it (the slide) is not ported.

bondmid003
02-22-2010, 7:49 PM
I've heard the compensation helps alot in the G20

f33dback
02-22-2010, 7:50 PM
Yes apparently "volume compensators" are illegal (a joke), the drop in comp's I'm looking at extend the barrels past the slide so the ports are outside of the slide.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9iOHitiy5U&feature=player_embedded
Good point here about close in shooting and getting debris in the eyes.

Glock "C" have the ports in the barrel and in the slide just above
http://conspiracyx0.tripod.com/weapons3/Glock22C.jpg
Any chance you have tried the drops ins I am looking at?

There's nothing "illegal" about having ports in a barrel.. SOME compensators however sometimes require that you 'thread' the barrel for them to attach.. Once you thread it, that becomes a big No-No in Kaliforniastsan..

Glock's version of the a compensated gun is simply ports cut into the slide and barrel.. Other compensators are actually "attachments" that you would place onto the end of an extended barrel via threads, bolts, bubblegum etc etc..

If you shoot a compensated glock side by side with a non-comped OEM glock, you'll notice the difference.. I've only done the pepsi challenge on a G17-C and a regular G17.. As I said, it's noticeable but IMHO, it's nothing to write home about.

Compensators are designed to redirect gas to counteract the muzzle rise/flip.. The more gas you have, the more effective the compensator can be. From talking to IPSC Open shooters, this lack of gas makes it more difficult to reduce the muzzle flip as you just dont have much volume to work with.. This is when comparing 9Major vs. 38 super. - With standard pressure 9mm, you're talking even less volume.

Greg-Dawg
02-22-2010, 9:20 PM
Your picture doesn't work.

Are you talking about a compensated barrel that will extend out of the muzzle? Because the holes continue through the barrel and on top of the slide.

Just buy a full-on compensated stock Glock.

dchang0
02-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Ignore the urban myths about blinding, etc. I use my 19C at night competitions and night training all the time without trouble.

There are only a couple of legitimate complaints about porting: 1) they're louder, and 2) the blast can be annoying if shooting close to your body and can burn if you have bare skin above the port (within 6-8 inches).

Nynvolt
02-23-2010, 7:41 AM
Do compensated Glocks really have any advantage? I have yet to shoot one for a comparo but a buddy has and he claims there was no noticeable felt or perceived recoil or muzzle flip. I believe he tested his g23 against his bro-in-laws g23-c.

I'm curious from others who have tested them side by side since he may have been bias to his non-compensated g23.

Dieseldog
02-23-2010, 10:12 AM
I've got a compensated G20. There's a slight reduction in recoil. It depends on the loads you're using. The flash will blind you night or day.

Gio
02-23-2010, 10:18 AM
I did a somewhat dark room test at Reeds Indoor Range with my G17, G34 and G17C and I actually did better with the 17C over the 34 and way better than the 17. I use Titegroup powder and anything under 10" bbl according to most folks will flame really bad. I actually do not think the flame is as blinding as folks say but if you get a chance to test them out side by side I would say you should try them out.

I would seriously watch out if you were to try and shoot from the hip in a defensive stance, other than that the C models are great. I ended up selling off my 34 and 17 and ended up with the 17C.

-Gio :53:

Voo
02-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Do compensated Glocks really have any advantage? I have yet to shoot one for a comparo but a buddy has and he claims there was no noticeable felt or perceived recoil or muzzle flip. I believe he tested his g23 against his bro-in-laws g23-c.

I'm curious from others who have tested them side by side since he may have been bias to his non-compensated g23.

ive tried on 9mm, and i personally wouldnt bother with a compensated over a non on the merits of recoil reduction alone... With the higher pressure rounds like .40 or 10mm, you'd probably have much better success doing the pepsi challenge..

honestly, the only time i notice how bad something recoils is when I switch to a softer shooting gun.. you could say it's somewhat relative?

Gryff
02-23-2010, 12:10 PM
I could see compensating a 10mm. Any other caliber offered by Glock, and I would say that you need to have 8-year-old-girl muscles to get any serious benefit from a compensator.