PDA

View Full Version : hammer bite?

Burnout
02-22-2010, 4:07 PM
I’ve got my first 1911 a few months back and love the gun but this is what I get after a hundred rounds through it

…200-300 will make me bleed. Is it somehow grip related and can be fixed with a proper technique or more of the gun thing ( rebuilt colt commercial ~ 1916)?

GunDog
02-22-2010, 4:37 PM
I remember back in the 70's before beavertail grip safeties became popular I was always getting the web of my hand chewed up by the hammer of my Colt .45 auto. Eventually it calloused up and I was quite proud of it; wore it like a badge of honor so to speak. Other shooters would see it and know that I shot a .45. Nowadays all my .45's sport beavertails and they are much more comfortable to shoot.

PatriotnMore
02-22-2010, 4:45 PM
You can use a power grip, where if you are right handed the left thumb locks over the right thumb, and keeps the gun from coming back and biting you.

Burnout
02-22-2010, 4:52 PM
You can use a power grip, where if you are right handed the left thumb locks over the right thumb, and keeps the gun from coming back and biting you.

not clear, got a pic?

PatriotnMore
02-22-2010, 4:58 PM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/HGcombatg_100206B.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/combatg_100306/index1.html&usg=__e6iT-v1_QRpIr7rpOUaJV_2amCk=&h=244&w=420&sz=26&hl=en&start=22&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=859R6o-rTeBhPM:&tbnh=73&tbnw=125&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlocking%2Bthumb%2Bgrip%2Bhandgun%26st art%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26ndsp%3D20%26tbs%3Disch:1

Burnout
02-22-2010, 5:00 PM
thanks, will try it out.

barrym66
02-22-2010, 5:13 PM
....Eventually it calloused up and I was quite proud of it; wore it like a badge of honor so to speak.

BTDT.... I have added beavertails where possible as I have 'fleshy' hands. Tough to avoid getting bitten, esp. if you are trying for a high grip...I've now got a pretty big scar/callous as well but still occasionally get bitten.

Not sure how well it shows up in this pic...

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab307/dbarrym/Misc%20for%20forums/IMG_2933.jpg

9mmepiphany
02-22-2010, 6:01 PM
rather than use a less efficient grip, i'd recommend just grinding the hammer spur a little shorter...or you could go whole hog and change out the hammer to a commander style and add a beavertail grip safety

f33dback
02-22-2010, 6:06 PM
Hey no offense meant here, but why do you guys put up with 1911's? They seem to need constant maintenance and then there's "hammer bite", they are large (yes I know there are smaller models), over priced, and I keep seeing negative comments on their reliability due to the above.
I've felt the trigger, it's nice, they are pretty but it seems like you have to put up with a lot with these hot house flowers.
Educate me.

nickvig
02-22-2010, 6:13 PM
I don't understand how this happens to people. I have a 1991 and the hammer doesn't come close to touching the web of my thumb and first finger when it's cocked back. Take a pic of your grip, I'm interested to see how you grip the gun and what is causing the hammer bite.

barrym66
02-22-2010, 6:21 PM
Hey no offense meant here, but why do you guys put up with 1911's? They seem to need constant maintenance and then there's "hammer bite", they are large (yes I know there are smaller models), over priced, and I keep seeing negative comments on their reliability due to the above.
I've felt the trigger, it's nice, they are pretty but it seems like you have to put up with a lot with these hot house flowers.
Educate me.

Take this with a grain of salt as I'm primarily a Glock shooter (G35/G22/G34)...but I really, really like the superior feel and ergonomics of the basic 1911A1 design...and they are far sexier than the polymer guns.

If I could afford the $6K+ it would take to replace the 3 Glocks I now shoot (for Limited 10, Production, and Open classes) with CA-rostered, comp quality 1911's... I'd switch in a minute. ;)

Agreed however that they tend not to be as reliable and are a LOT more maintenance and tuning sensitive than Glocks, XD's, etc.. Every class I've attended has had a few 1911's fail, but I've yet to see a Glock stop running unless the shooter does something stupid (like loading 9's in a 40...no, not me!).

But I still roll out my Colt and Springfield 1911's occasionally...and I also get the "Glock slide cut" if I'm not as careful with my grip on the production Glock's as I am when shooting the 1911 with hammer bite. :D

YMMV....

f33dback
02-22-2010, 6:41 PM
Yes a gentleman at a gun store (to remain unnamed) dropped a $2500 1911 into my hand and it felt great, much better than my Glock 21 SF, at 5 times the price.
He spent 45 minutes of his time trying to convince me to buy a 1911.
I'll stick with the gun that can do this: http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90

Off topic as usual but thanks for your input.

9mmepiphany
02-22-2010, 6:58 PM
Educate me.
it's a lot like owning a Porsche 911, more practical than a Prancing Horse or Lambo...but so much more soul than a Camry or Accord

I'll stick with the gun that can do this:
it did...just in 1910

Voo
02-22-2010, 8:09 PM
Yea, this has to be one of the biggest fails on the 1911.. Hammer bite.. So many people have experienced it... I know it's not something that is going to stop anyone from shooting if a badguy was RIGHT there.. But using it to practice on a weekly basis, or giving a non-beavertailed 1911 to a new shooter is not something I see as desirable..

As for altering my "master" grip.. I'd rather not compromise as it works extremely well on every other pistol platform I've ever come across.. It's a horrible selling point to say you need a "special" or "modified" grip to avoid getting scraped up while shooting a gun.. The gun has a bad design feature is all.. It's easily remedied with a bobbed hammer or beavertail..

Now, before some of the 1911' afficionados go and get their pitchforks and torches, Im not bashing the 1911.. Im simply pointing out that it has a flaw or two.. I absolutely love the platform.. I have several Ponies myself.. It's just that Im simply being objective about some of it's weaker points..

To be fair, I really cant' think of a better 'feeling" gun when the grip is hi-cut beneath the triggerguard, 30LPI'ed along the front strap and combined with a flat MSH..

JTROKS
02-22-2010, 8:25 PM
A commander style hammer and a beavertail and all is solved. The reason for 1911s is, because they are about the best platform to build on a very accurate pistol. Aftermarket parts are everywhere with all sorts of manufacturers and flavor. Just go to an USPSA club match and you'll see what pistols rule the top bracket.

bigcalidave
02-22-2010, 8:50 PM
I've had my kimber pro cdp 2 for 10 years, fired thousands of rounds through it, never had a problem (other than night sights went dim so they replaced them for free). If you buy one of these to shoot, you will probably never have an issue, just like a glock. Why are you assuming that you will have so many issues with a 1911? Have you owned one, or are all your opinions formed on the internet! Get one, try it for a few months, and if you don't like shooting it, sell it! More happy 1911 owners than any other type of gun for a reason. Try it and find out. Or not. But you won't know till you try.

lazs
02-23-2010, 9:07 AM
Hammer bite is different for different shape hands. I have big hands but they are not fleshy. No gun bites me, even my PPK which had drawn blood on more than a few people.

I hate the beavertail safety thing. you can't thumb back a commander hammer very easy with one of em on the gun. I cut (horrors!) down the one on my Kimber.. much handier and easy to operate and doesn't catch on everything anymore.

Why an expensive 1911 just because it has the best trigger out there and is accurate and looks great and feels even better in the hand?

I mean... it costs twice as much or more right? Yes and no. The real cost in shooting (especially these days) is the ammo. Most of us shoot 10 times or more the original cost of the gun in the ammo we shoot out of it in a few years. The 1911 has been shooting cheap lead slugs for decades. If you are stuck with jacketed factory loaded ammo.. you will come out on the losing end of the cost equation in short order.

I have learned long ago.. If you lust after a gun that fits and feels the best and gives you pride of ownership. buy it no matter the cost. It won't take long to be worth it..

Or.. you could just hang out with glock guys and pretend no other guns exist and that...even if the do.. they are old fashioned and not really good for the hordes of bad guys you have to fight off every day.

barrym66
02-23-2010, 9:30 AM
Hammer bite is different for different shape hands. I have big hands but they are not fleshy. No gun bites me, even my PPK which had drawn blood on more than a few people.

I hate the beavertail safety thing. you can't thumb back a commander hammer very easy with one of em on the gun. I cut (horrors!) down the one on my Kimber.. much handier and easy to operate and doesn't catch on everything anymore.

Why an expensive 1911 just because it has the best trigger out there and is accurate and looks great and feels even better in the hand?

I mean... it costs twice as much or more right? Yes and no. The real cost in shooting (especially these days) is the ammo. Most of us shoot 10 times or more the original cost of the gun in the ammo we shoot out of it in a few years. The 1911 has been shooting cheap lead slugs for decades. If you are stuck with jacketed factory loaded ammo.. you will come out on the losing end of the cost equation in short order.

I have learned long ago.. If you lust after a gun that fits and feels the best and gives you pride of ownership. buy it no matter the cost. It won't take long to be worth it..

Or.. you could just hang out with glock guys and pretend no other guns exist and that...even if they do.. they are old fashioned and not really good for the hordes of bad guys you have to fight off every day.

I think this thread has run its course...it's now degenerating into the inevitable Chevy vs Ford stage (and I contributed, my bad).

Last... there are as many (or likely more) 1911 bigots as there are Glock devotees. Any gun that works is great - viva la difference! I'm just glad we still have (some!) choice...

ARDude
02-23-2010, 10:09 AM
I’ve got my first 1911 a few months back and love the gun but this is what I get after a hundred rounds through it

…200-300 will make me bleed. Is it somehow grip related and can be fixed with a proper technique or more of the gun thing ( rebuilt colt commercial ~ 1916)?

Could be hammer bite, or sharp edges of the tang on the grip safety cutting web of hand during recoil.

ocspeedracer
02-23-2010, 12:36 PM
i know, i know, but you could try a glock

MasterYong
02-23-2010, 1:30 PM
.........they still make 1911s that have a hammer-bite problem???

.......................really???

Never even thought about it before. I thought that had been addressed decades ago. My Springfield and Kimber don't have that problem. Maybe I'm not understanding what hammer-bite is? I thought it was like the old high-powers where you had the ability to put the web of your hand between the hammer and the frame...

MasterYong
02-23-2010, 1:35 PM

I hate the beavertail safety thing. you can't thumb back a commander hammer very easy with one of em on the gun. I cut (horrors!) down the one on my Kimber.. much handier and easy to operate and doesn't catch on everything anymore....

um.... dude... you shouldn't EVER have to thumb back the hammer on a 1911, since the hammer shouldn't ever be down unless its firing a round. 1911s are designed to be carried condition 1 (cocked & locked). Its not like an M9/92FS... that's why the 1911 doesn't have a decocking lever...

BamBam-31
02-23-2010, 2:02 PM
Ditto the not changing your grip thing.

Also a big ditto on the pleasure of shooting a 1911 w/ beavertail, undercut trigger guard, and flat MSH.

As for why the 1911 is popular, I'd say it's probably because if it's straight-pull trigger, slim grip, low bore axis, big bullets, and handsomely good looks. In no particular order.

Burnout
02-23-2010, 4:39 PM
i know, i know, but you could try a glock

i prefer XD

Burnout
02-23-2010, 4:46 PM
.........they still make 1911s that have a hammer-bite problem???

.......................really???

it's an old old colt...in c34xxx range. I never liked aesthetics of the newer beavertail models.

Donk310
02-23-2010, 7:29 PM
Educate me.

Because its a 1911.:D

randy
02-24-2010, 12:01 AM
I think a Commander hammer will solve your problem if you don't what to go the whole beavertail route. You could grind off the back of your hammer and that would solve your problem.

E. Fudd
02-24-2010, 10:54 AM
You can easily grind off just enough of the end of the hammer spur to reduce or eliminate hammer bite. I was able to eliminate hammer bite on a older gen Springfield Milspec by using a Dremel tool and grinding off two hammer serrations worth of material and that took care of it for my hands.

I didn't even take the hammer off the gun... :) Just be careful and, of course, make sure it's unloaded... :p

MasterYong
02-24-2010, 11:01 AM
it's an old old colt...in c34xxx range. I never liked aesthetics of the newer beavertail models.

That makes MUCH more sense.

For some reason my brain took your "first 1911" and changed it to "new 1911"

LOL

xxdabroxx
02-24-2010, 11:42 AM
You either have to grip it lower, chop the spur off the hammer, or install a beavertail or duck bill.

Bird of Fire
02-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Educate me.

We like 1911's for the same reasons we put up with women and their crap. You feel pretty good when yer playing with em.

Snake eyes
02-24-2010, 9:40 PM
The 1911 is a sexy b!tch, sometimes they bite. Call it passion.

I've never been bitten myself, one of the few reasons I'm glad I've got small hands. Plus, I don't like beavertail safeties. I've got an SA Mil-spec and an SA Loaded and I far prefer the GI style grip safety on the Mil.

1911's not reliable huh, guess that's why they were issued to US troops for all those years. Deserts, jungles, snow, tropical downpours, mud, dust, it's a wonder any troops made it home relying on those crappy 1911s. Perhaps they just used em as paperweights.:rolleyes:

sofine354
02-24-2010, 10:23 PM
My 1911 is a '44 production, and I've never been bitten. I think it may be more to do with the continuous movement against your web. I work with my hands, so for me, pumping 300 rounds out of my Colt is no problem. I never even realized people had this problem so often. My 1911 is the "glock" of its day. I've seen glocks jam at the range many time. My only problem is that after 1000 rounds without blowing out the throat, I will get a stovepipe.

It is just my old-school opinion, but if you put a beavertail on a 1911, you might as well have bought a glock. They are both lame.

Someday I will get into a gunfight with an assailant weilding a glock. We will both be spent and resort to hand to hand, where he will pistol whip me with what amounts to a child's toy ray gun, and I'll return the favor with what amounts to Thor's hammer. After it happens, I'll be sure to post it in the glock forums.:D

J-cat
02-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Put a bandaid there and the hammer will bite the bandaid.

will227457
02-25-2010, 9:34 AM

bite it back see if that cures it

Black Majik
02-25-2010, 9:48 AM
( rebuilt colt commercial ~ 1916)?

Rebuilt to working order? That's definitely why.

1911 pistols don't have the larger grip safety like it is found on current "GI style" pistols such as the Springfield GI/Milspec, Colt Government or RIA GI. The wide spur hammer coupled with a short grip safety will definitely bite. The 1911A1 helped, but a beavertail found on modern 1911s will eliminate hammer bite.

Shoot it for nostalgic reasons, but a modern 1911 with a beavertaill will cure hammerbite. Safe queen that Colt 1911.

CHS
02-25-2010, 9:52 AM
Hey no offense meant here, but why do you guys put up with 1911's?

Because nothing else shoots better or feels better?

They seem to need constant maintenance and then there's "hammer bite", they are large (yes I know there are smaller models), over priced, and I keep seeing negative comments on their reliability due to the above.
Educate me.

I've never gotten hammer bite from any of my 1911's.
They really aren't that large. In fact, 1911's are very slim compared to any other full-size gun.
Overpriced? What's overpriced? HK USP's are 800-1000$. So are quality 1911's. RIA USGI's can be had for under $400 and are good performers. That's not overpriced.

As to reliability, keep them lubed like any other weapon, use quality magazines like any other weapon, and use quality ammo like any other weapon, and they are extremely reliable.