PDA

View Full Version : I want to own a 1911 someday.

novabrian
02-22-2010, 12:45 PM
I was thinking of the one Turners has onsale for later down the road.Its a Sig Sauer GSR 1911 Stainless.Any thoughts on this? Are there any 1911's that hold more than 7 rounds?

Lucky7
02-22-2010, 12:47 PM
You can get 8 and 10 round magazines and I don't know anything about the sig.

sholling
02-22-2010, 1:27 PM
I've shot the Sig and it was pretty nice but it wouldn't be my first choice. For one thing Sig wanted to give it a Sig look and changed some of the dimensions and it may or may not properly fit common holsters. I personally prefer S&W's SW1911s for about the same price. Just stick with stainless because Smith's bluing can be a bit thin.

Black Majik
02-22-2010, 1:32 PM
There's a lot of discussion about the SIG 1911s, I would research heavily into it before committing to one. It says a lot when Bruce Gray from Grayguns can't recommend a SIG Revolution, even though the folks at GG primarily customize SIGs. I only say this because I want your first 1911 experience to be a good one. :D

For similiar price, a S&W1911, Springfield Loaded, Kimber TLE II, Colt XSE or Dan Wesson PM7 may be better suited. If you can swing one, a lightly used TRP is also an excellent 1911.

armedoffroader
02-22-2010, 2:41 PM
I was thinking of the one Turners has onsale for later down the road.Its a Sig Sauer GSR 1911 Stainless.Any thoughts on this? Are there any 1911's that hold more than 7 rounds?

I believe Para Ordnance makes a double stack 1911 that has greater capacity

MasterYong
02-22-2010, 2:43 PM

I'm 99% sure Smith makes a double-stack too...

leelaw
02-22-2010, 2:49 PM
I'm 99% sure Smith makes a double-stack too...

I'm 99% sure S&W doesn't make a double-stack 1911.

If you're going for a double-stack 1911, get oe based off an STI frame (Infinity, STI, SVT, etc).

If you just want more than 7 rounds, then most good 1911 magazines these days hold 8, and there are 10 round magazines available.

armedoffroader
02-22-2010, 2:55 PM
Oh yeah, Springfield too:cool2:

MasterYong
02-22-2010, 2:56 PM
I'm 99% sure S&W doesn't make a double-stack 1911.

If you're going for a double-stack 1911, get oe based off an STI frame (Infinity, STI, SVT, etc).

If you just want more than 7 rounds, then most good 1911 magazines these days hold 8, and there are 10 round magazines available.

Fair enough... I was too lazy to look. When I bought my MC Operator recently I coulda sworn the double-stack 1911 on the shelf was a S&W. Musta been a different brand. He had para, sig, other SAs, S&W, Colt, and Kimber. Thought it was the S&W that was double.

novabrian
02-22-2010, 3:31 PM
I have also noticed that I can't release the slide with my thumb.The slide release/catch is too far forward.Anyone else experience this?

liketoshoot
02-22-2010, 4:11 PM

A word with you, don't do it! 1911's are like Lays potato chips YOU CANN"T have just one, I'm on #3 now and looking at #4 but......

Hi my name is liketoshoot and I have a problem.....................
:D

Leesan82
02-22-2010, 4:11 PM
Edit: I would say most of the shooter can't access the "factory" slide release on a 1911 with their shooting hand. :D

Rekrab
02-22-2010, 4:24 PM
I would say most of the shooter can't access the slide release on a 1911 with their shooting hand.

I can, but that's because I installed an extended slide release. I rather like it.

novabrian
02-22-2010, 4:30 PM
I figured they made an extended slide release.I think I would opt for one.

Greg-Dawg
02-22-2010, 4:36 PM
I'd rather get a Colt or Kimber...for a true 1911.

4literranger485
02-22-2010, 4:39 PM
i too am shopping for a 1911! i'm looking at either a higher end kimber, or a dan wesson. but the dan wesson's seem to be rather hard to find right now?

I'm loving all this 1911 input!

nrvnqsrxk
02-22-2010, 4:48 PM
How much are you going to shoot it? How much are you willing to spend? Are you sure you want to get into the 1911 world? Gotta be willing to learn about the platform, how to maintain and keep it functioning. Kinda like owning a Ducati.

Judging from your avatar you're an MGS fan. I would stick to the gun that Eva gave Big Boss in MGS3. It's basically a Les Baer Custom Carry, hehe.

FreedomMom
02-22-2010, 4:49 PM
I can, but that's because I installed an extended slide release. I rather like it.

I'm thinking of getting an extended mag release, didn't know about the slide release. Do you have one that you'd recommend?

Uriah02
02-22-2010, 4:49 PM

I got one... not the greatest thing on earth and it had major minus points of metal shavings left in the barrel when I got it delivered 2 months after their promised date. The biggest thing, I got small hands and it requires both hands to effectively reload and chamber a round. All in all it was a good deal I got while I was active duty so I can't complain too much. I am more privy towards non-1911's for form and function.

leelaw
02-22-2010, 4:57 PM
I have also noticed that I can't release the slide with my thumb.The slide release/catch is too far forward.Anyone else experience this?

I've noticed that. It's a slight stretch in order for me to reach the slide release with my strong hand, so I installed an extended slide release. I ended up taking it off when I practiced manipulating the slide release with my off-hand as it moved from inserting the magazine, into a shooting grip. Seems a little faster that way.

FreedomMom
02-22-2010, 5:01 PM
so, now getting my pistol out, won't an extended slide release get in the way of the grip? anybody have pics to post? (is this hijacking the post?...sorry)

Beelzy
02-22-2010, 5:31 PM
I've got a GSR and it shoots works, only time will tell if it holds up like a Colt.
So far so good, except that the factory 8rd mags won't feed my Cor-Bon HPs.

I think the Rep about SIG is the use of MIM parts and not forgings on some parts.
That's probably why that one chap doesn't endorse them...Too new still??

(MIM: Metal Injection Molding)

Ducman
02-22-2010, 5:54 PM
Kinda like owning a Ducati.

ummmmmmmmm.... Ducati and a 1911 :chris:

Great advice been given here, look at the SA Loaded for your first 1911.

23 Blast
02-22-2010, 6:11 PM
1911's and their clones are so abundant and so many different companies make them that there are HUGE variations in quality and function, reliability, etc.

If I knew then what I learned only through direct experience with some of the less expensive 1911's, chances are I'd only own a Springfield Loaded or something more expensive. My first foray into the 1911 world was an Armscor EFS. Basically this is a gun that has lots of the features that many 1911 aficionados wind up putting on their guns, such as a beavertail grip safety, extended slide release and safety levers, front slide serrations, etc. In terms of outward appearance, it looks much like a SA Loaded. However, that's where the similarities end. It's like taking a Corvette frame, dressing it up to LOOK like a 'Vette, but installing a Ford Fiesta engine in it. The gun ran like crap. Heavy trigger, feeding problems, extracting problems, you name it. The machining on the inside looks like it was done by a high school shop class. Swirl marks, shavings, sharp edges everywhere.

Anyway, despite its uber-crappiness, it made me appreciate he 1911 design and I quickly acquired three more. Since I always wanted a Colt, I eventually bought a Colt XSE, and that quickly became my favorite gun. The trigger is so nice and crisp that it makes even a mediocre marksman like myself feel like a champ when I take it to the range.

So the lesson is basically, save your pennies and spring for at least a middle-of-the-road model like a SA Loaded or Kimber Custom II. The difference in price might seem daunting at first because some of these middle of the roaders cost double what entry-level models from RIA cost, but if I could do it over, I'd just buy the more expensive 1911 first and use the money I spent wasted on the cheapo POS on ammo and practice time.

Shiloh13
02-22-2010, 7:44 PM
My 9mm Colt holds 9 rounds per mag... :jump:

novabrian
02-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Ok in order to properly decide I guess I am going to have to shoot everybody's different 1911s on this thread.:)

sqroot3
02-22-2010, 11:02 PM
i have above-average-sized hands and my fingers aren't stubby, and i have the same problem with disengaging the factory slide stop with my right hand. on one of his youtube vids, Todd Jarrett uses his left thumb to disengage the slide stop on the way to supporting his right hand's grip (this was also mentioned in another post on this thread). if todd jarrett does it, i'll do it too! :P or you can rack the slide back instead of pushing down the slide stop, thereby hopefully eliminating the possibility of wearing down the metal either part.

My first foray into the 1911 world was an Armscor EFS...The gun ran like crap.
It has been mentioned in other gun forums that armscor/rock island's quality has improved significantly over the past several years. i finally picked up a RIA tactical, and it has been eating up my shiddy personal reloads like none other. trigger is so-so compared to other 1911s i've handled and shot, with some creep but minimal overtravel. i will no doubt be getting another 1911 in the future, and will probably be getting something mid-range like a DW or used WC/LB--but the RIA tactical has been an excellent and very positive introduction to owning a 1911.

23 Blast
02-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I've read that Armscor/RIA has improved their QC tremendously, but that EFS really gave me a bad taste. However, I found myself buying a RIA in .38 Super and, after fixing the extractor tension, it runs like a champ. The quality on my RIA was also worlds better than my EFS.

I also just like bling, what can I say? :D

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd128/BasinBictory/100_1544.jpg

sqroot3
02-22-2010, 11:15 PM
that is sweet! bling indeed..

MRpink
02-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Gotta be willing to learn about the platform, how to maintain and keep it functioning. Kinda like owning a Ducati.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/MRpilot/Ducati-720088.jpg;)

23 Blast
02-22-2010, 11:22 PM
that is sweet! bling indeed..

I know - I kind of admit that it embarassed me that I really and truly bought that gun because I thought it was pretty (but hey, I've made similar mistakes with many women for much the same reason! :P), and if it were in .45 I'd probably shoot it as much or more than my XSE. However, I see why .38 super is such a popular caliber for competition 1911 shooters - the recoil is very gentle. In fact when I shoot it, I can actually feel the spring contracting and the slide shooting forward again. Kind of like shooting a Mini14 compared to an M1A.

I also get lots of compliments on it when I bring it to the range. Still, it's in a weird caliber and once I burn up all my .38 super ammo, I'm looking to convert it to a 9mm.

sqroot3
02-22-2010, 11:24 PM
HAHAHA you make it sound like you are buying women because they're pretty! :P jk

Fobanginvtek
02-22-2010, 11:27 PM
springfield armory 1911 champion *drooling

23 Blast
02-22-2010, 11:32 PM
HAHAHA you make it sound like you are buying women because they're pretty! :P jk

Well, I've never used the services of "professional" women, if that's what you mean!:o No one told me, however, that these "amateurs" could bleed you for even more money! :TFH:

.....and less service! :mad::D

novabrian
02-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I think I like the Springfield Armory TRP.

Black Majik
02-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I think I like the Springfield Armory TRP.

Solid choice. :thumbsup:

ocspeedracer
02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
i second that