PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Near Angeles Range Have Kahr PM9/PM40/PM45?

aermotor
02-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm going to get one of these soon and would like to be able to shoot one first, but can't find any for rent. I was wondering if anyone goes to Angeles, has one and would be willing to let me check it out? Let me know, thanks!

AbbyCat
02-22-2010, 4:48 PM
Hmmm...I'm thinking about a P9... ;)

twotap
02-22-2010, 6:15 PM
I'm still sopping up drool over a pm9 I saw last week?Anybody got info???

aermotor
02-22-2010, 7:05 PM
Been doing A LOT of reading on these... Looks like from the first hand user accounts: The PM9 and PM40 are great and reliable. The PM45... not so much. I'm hearing lots of problems and fees from Kahr to fix their errors!!!

It sucks because I went to Gun World today to hold them and see the differences. Honestly, the 9/40 were a bit too small in my hands, max grip is only 2 fingers with the flush mags. The 45 allowed for an easy, standard 3 finger grip and felt really nice, but from what I've read about reliability, I'm definitely nervous about the 45 now...

Perhaps, the 9/40 might be better with the flush mag finger extension. I really don't like the extended mags themselves, but the finger extension seems nice.

Would still love to test fire these...

lumwilliam
03-11-2010, 9:33 AM
The PM9 and PM40 are great and reliable. The PM45... not so much. I'm hearing lots of problems and fees from Kahr to fix their errors!!!
...the 9/40 were a bit too small in my hands, max grip is only 2 fingers with the flush mags. The 45 allowed for an easy, standard 3 finger grip and felt really nice

I'm really hoping a PM45 owner will chime in here. American Shooting Center in San Diego has a PM9 in their rental case. It is a difficult fit into most adult male hands, and the recoil is pretty snappy. Not unpleasant, but I worry about my ability to get off a quick 2nd shot. I've read that the PM40's recoil is substantially greater.

So that leaves the PM45. Slightly bigger for a little bit better of a grip, but still light and small and with the great stopping power of the 45ACP round. From what I've been reading, the .45, as a slower moving load, might be ideal for the mousegun platform - I'm hearing that felt recoil (not specifically on the KAHR), might be even less than on a subcompact 9mm. Somebody PLEASE let me know so I can start tracking how KAHR addresses any defects. I don't think any range in SoCal has a PM45 to shoot!

aermotor
03-11-2010, 11:45 AM
I ended up buying the PM40 over the PM45 due to it's reliability and wanting ti stay all in the same caliber, we'll see how she shoots next week. The PM45 is definitely nice because you can get a true 3 finger grip on it, unlike the PM40. I'll try and do a thorough range report when I have the time on my PM40.

J&B
04-16-2010, 2:32 AM
Very intrested in this little 9mm. Does anyone know if its true that you cant put in a full mag and then rack the gun? I heard that you have to lock the slide back insert the mag then release so it will pick up a round.

Spyder
04-16-2010, 4:16 AM
K40 = AWESOME. I freaking love it. If you find yourself in N. California anytmie soon, let me know and you can shoot the hell out of it!

macey109
04-16-2010, 4:44 AM
I have a p9. Was going back and forth between the P and PM. The question is- how much do you plan on shooting? If it's a straight carry okay I can understand the PM9 (not something you want to be comfortably putting a few hundred rounds through at the range). That being said the p9 is .9in thick and quite concealable. trigger pull is quite long and requires some getting used to. Not sure if it helps but thats my two cents...

geeknow
04-16-2010, 4:54 AM
Very intrested in this little 9mm. Does anyone know if its true that you cant put in a full mag and then rack the gun? I heard that you have to lock the slide back insert the mag then release so it will pick up a round.

not true. the slide is simply really, really tight for the first 300-500 rds. In fact, the instructions state that you need 500 rounds down the tube to 'break it in'.

I own a PM9. I have the all-black model with night sights. I have also added the crimson trace system to it.

Couple of things that I noticed.

1. it is freaky accurate, especially for a 'little gun'.
2. i have fired both the standard sight and night sight model. For me anyway, I can pick up the sight picture more quickly with the night sights.
3. when stuffed into my pocket, the PM9 prints smaller than my wallet.

I will be out at Angeles on the 27th, I believe. If you want to, you can meet me there and squeeze off some rounds.

best,

g

geeknow
04-16-2010, 4:57 AM
I'm going to get one of these soon and would like to be able to shoot one first, but can't find any for rent. I was wondering if anyone goes to Angeles, has one and would be willing to let me check it out? Let me know, thanks!

same goes for you too. I will be at Angeles on the 27th. If you want to meet me there, you too can fire my PM9 until your hearts content. :)

g

J&B
04-16-2010, 9:51 AM
Thanks geeknow very helpfull info if you do go to angeles let me know i will bring the ammo. The reason I posted this concern is because there is a couple of guys on you tube that say this but they probably didnt break in the pistol properly.

cineski
04-16-2010, 10:07 AM
I have a PM9. Despite what people say, I feel it is a fun range gun. It's accurate and jumpy, but not harsh to shoot unless you're feeding it 124 +P's which can be a bit jarring. Shooting 115 range ammo or 147 grain SD loads it handles the recoil well for such a small gun. I also really like the Kahr trigger. Very smooth and good for fun range sessions. Just take note, you will invest half the cost of the gun making sure it runs well. My PM9 had to go back to Kahr for some work. It is, once proven, a very reliable gun and there's nothing like a PM9 when CCW is concerned. I would steer clear of any 45 variant of the Kahr lineup.

AbbyCat
04-16-2010, 7:16 PM
I picked up a P9 and I'm very happy with it. The slide is still very tight and you need to be very positive when racking it. I haven't had a chance to shoot it as much as I would like, but I did shoot a compact IDPA match with it. I like the way it feels and performs.

Kelvrick
04-16-2010, 7:48 PM
I have a PM9 and I think you'll really like your PM.

I loaded up on the flush "MK" magazines. Half of them are flush for easier pocket carry and the other half has the pierce pinky extensions for better grip when I iwb.

I'm planning on getting rid of it soon though and replacing it with a P9 and cutting down the grip. I want my "P9 convert" or a PM9 with a 3.5 barrel.

jyo
04-16-2010, 8:05 PM
Well, at this time, I own two of the CW-9 (pretty much same as P9) and one "Black diamond" coated P45 pistols---I found the PM series to be a tad too small for my hand (my wife has smaller hands, but finds the CW-9 fits her hand better than the PM guns) and much prefer the slightly larger pistol. Both 9mm and 45 are reliable after some attention when new (mag releases and their springs on the 9mm and some FTE on the 45 when it was owned by someone else)---all three now work fine. The 45 does have some kick! The 9mm are easy and pleasent to shoot. These pistols are quite slim and lightweight with a very nice DAO trigger system and as an added bonus, all three shoot right to point of aim. I live in L.A. and once a week head to the north SFV on business, so possibly could meet up (at Angeles) for a few rounds, maybe even on the 27th---what time?