PDA

View Full Version : Private Party Shipping to a FFL

Big Dog Howie
02-22-2010, 11:26 AM
I recently sold my XD here to a fellow member who lives in the East Bay area,I am in So Cal.I need to send it to a FFL in that area,He tells me no one up ther will accept my XD from a private party,it must be sent by a FFL.Is there any dealers in that area that will accept it from me with a copy of my drivers license,and do I ship it Fed Ex or UPS?

leelaw
02-22-2010, 11:32 AM
A copy of your DL should be fine - call the shop to confirm first, though.

A handgun must go via UPS or FedEx overnight service - no ground or two-day service.

paul0660
02-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Ask this question in the FFL forum.

j1133s
02-22-2010, 11:43 AM
I recently sold my XD here to a fellow member who lives in the East Bay area,I am in So Cal.I need to send it to a FFL in that area,He tells me no one up ther will accept my XD from a private party,it must be sent by a FFL.Is there any dealers in that area that will accept it from me with a copy of my drivers license,and do I ship it Fed Ex or UPS?

Each FFL dealer can make up its own rules regarding accepting firearms from private party. I've never encountered an FFL transfer dealer not willing to take a private party shipment, so ask your buyer to look around more. (You can also use gunbroker type sites to looks for FFL dealers and call them directly from so cal.)

Before you ship, call the FFL dealer receiving your firearm and verify their info on ez-ffl (I don't remember the full address, but do a search; it is a gov site). They'll give you a number and you type it into ez-ffl form to check the correct shipping address. Do not ship to any other address.

You can use FedEx or UPS, and you will have to pay next day shipping. I usually let the buyer decide how they want me to send the gun (since they are paying for it). I've found $75 always seem to cover everything, so I ask that amount. If the actual cost is much cheaper, I mail buyers a check for the difference.

You must declare it is a firearm, but you cannot have any marking on the box indicating so. And you should always insure it for your sold price. You have to ship from FedEX or UPS "shipping centers", so you can't ship firearms thru the numerous UPS stores/Kinkos.

A money saving strategy (helping buyers) is that I ship the firearm separately from accessories so cut down next day air costs. A lot of sellers do this.

Big Dog Howie
02-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the info,and if anyone knows a dealer in the area that would be helpful.

leelaw
02-22-2010, 12:37 PM
What area? Something more specific than "East Bay" would help.

sixniner
02-22-2010, 12:41 PM
RMB in Milpitas
Nice guy to deal with

Big Dog Howie
02-22-2010, 1:30 PM
Sorry,its actually Berkley

Katana
02-22-2010, 2:38 PM
You might try calling Old West Gun Room in El Cerrito. I haven't been there in years, but the owner at that time was a pretty reasonable guy.

http://www.oldwestgunroom.com/index.html

Big Dog Howie
02-22-2010, 2:53 PM
Ok thanks,I will contact the buyer and let him know

dfletcher
02-22-2010, 3:24 PM
Just my opinion, but I think it is the responsibility of the fellow buying the gun to arrange the receiving FFL and whatever requirements must be met. That ensures he is dealing with an FFL of his choosing and I think pretty much cuts you out of the blame game if there are any issues not related directly to the gun.

I think City Arms will accept from a nonlicensed individual.

Big Dog Howie
02-22-2010, 5:00 PM
Thanks

tba02
02-22-2010, 5:07 PM
I was hard pressed to find an FFL in the SF/OAK area that would accept from a non-FFL. My shipment was coming from out of state.

Here's a copy of an exchange and the manner in which City Arms wanted it handled - and they did my transfer as pleasantly as always.

As part of that process, the shipping FFL must register w/CA via the CFLC.
The FAQ's are at
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview.php

The registration page is at
https://webapps.doj.ca.gov/cflc/index.jsp

Once registered, the shipping FFL can obtain a Firearms Shipment Approval letter online via the CFLC system. They will also need my FFL's assigned number - XXXXX
They can then ship to the receiving FFL, keeping a copy of the approval letter, and sending one with the pistol. THey should also include my name for reference.

CFLC does not explicitly prohibit shipments from private parties, but does impact FFL's. That being said, I checked local FFL's and all wanted the shipper to be an FFL. In my case, the shipping FLL charged $25 bucks for his service.

About CFLC
As of July 1, 2008, California Penal Code Section 12072(f)(1) [PDF 30 kb / 1 pg] prohibits all Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs), other than Type 03 or 06 FFLs, from shipping firearms to an FFL in California unless, prior to delivery, the FFL intending to deliver, sell or transfer the firearms obtains a verification approval number from the California Department of Justice (CADOJ) Bureau of Firearms. This includes transfers that occur at gun shows.

Big Dog Howie
02-22-2010, 7:23 PM
CFLC # I thought was only required for out of state shipments of firearms to CA,not in state sales or PPT or transfers.