View Full Version : steel case .45 and my Taurus

02-22-2010, 8:57 AM
I get to pick up my Taurus Mil Pro .45 today. Are there any issues with putting steel case rounds through her? Brass still seems hard to come by unless I pay the range ridiculous prices.

02-22-2010, 9:27 AM
EDIT: OH! You mean brass ammo. Turner's has had a fairly good supply lately. Big5, but there ya get the ridiculous prices... ($55/100 for WWB!:eek:) I have a WalMart on the way home from work. I haven't seen .45ACP there in awhile.

As for steel cases. Depends on who ya ask. I won't touch it, but there are people who use it all the time & report no problems. Might want to see if it's mentioned in your warranty. I would think that any damage caused would be a long term thing.

You can get brass any number of places. Cabela's sells new brass. Used brass is available online from dealers & individuals.

.45ACP is a pretty low pressure round so as long as it looks OK it usually is. Someone once made a pretty good point that most range pickup is actually once-fired. If it wasn't once fired, a reloader would have taken it home. ;)

I'd tell you where I get mine but then I'd have to kill you...:D
Seriously, used .45ACP isn't hard to come by. .357 Magnum now...:(

02-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Turners in West Covina had new brass .45acp in both Remington and Winchester for $23 and $27 a box for 230 grain ball. This was 2 days ago.
I put some steel case ammo (bought at Big 5) through my brand new PM7 last month. I had 2 FTE's out of 100 fired. Everybody suspected the steel case ammo was the most likely culprit. I cleaned it after firing last month and put 100 rounds of Remington down the pipe yesterday. ZERO failures with brass.
Good luck.

02-22-2010, 2:11 PM
You just cannot beat brass as a cartridge case. A case needs to expand under pressure to seal the chamber, then relax back to allow for extraction. Steel and aluminum do no have the same qualities.

Within the last year, I got 1000 rounds of brass .45 ACP 230 gr Ball from White Castle Armory in TX -- both Speer and Remington. Not cheap though.

02-22-2010, 2:19 PM
, used .45ACP isn't hard to come by. .357 Magnum now...:(

357 mag ive seen it at HB wally and Westminster Wally. usually 2-3 boxes so its out there. Personally i shoot a lot of steel case ammo out of all my guns. I feel if a gun cannot shoot steel case or "inferior" ammo then something is wrong with the gun.
I have a ton of 45 brass ammo and hell I like my 9mm so much better really i rarely shoot my 45 anymore.

02-22-2010, 2:24 PM
I would have no problem shooting steel cased ammo in your pistol..... don't even think of putting it in any of my pistols

02-22-2010, 3:42 PM
Thanks guys, I guess all that is left now is to shoot my box of steel case out of five five-six's guns. Every last one of them.

02-22-2010, 3:47 PM
It's cheap which makes it tempting, but I've heard of several problems it can have. Improper expansion, gunky stuff on russian made steel casings, and premature wear on the gun. I cant confirm all this but I wouldnt use it, kinda like running octane 87 in a sportscar.