PDA

View Full Version : Taking a road trip from CA to TX - will be getting Utah CCW permit - holster question

Deadbolt
02-22-2010, 9:18 AM
Going to see a lot of car time in the beginning of June driving through AZ / NM / TX and back to CA. I'm getting my Utah CCW and im wondering if anyone has had any experience with a good CCW holster for long drives.

pistol would be a S&W 6906

Thanks in advance

CornFedWB
02-22-2010, 10:12 AM
What do you think about shoulder holsters?

Black Majik
02-22-2010, 10:14 AM
I would have to say a crossdraw holster if you plan to spend a lot of time in the car. Strongside OWB or IWB holster can dig into the hip after a prolong period of time driving. A good quality stiff gunbelt also helps tremendously.

paul0660
02-22-2010, 10:22 AM
For long drives I use a Tommy's gun pack in the crossdraw position. It screams gun but is very comfortable. I think the sale is still on:

http://www.tommysgunpack.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TGP-001-FREE

Untamed1972
02-22-2010, 10:50 AM
From personal experience unfortunately holster choices for the 6906 can be fairly limited. Plus being a decent size gun might be a little uncomfortable to wear while actually driving, especially depending on the kind of seats in your vehicle. Seats with any kind of side bolstering tend to make hip carry uncomfortable.

You might consider just holstering when you're out of the car and then have the gun on the seat or center console while you're driving. In which case some kind of a paddle holster would be good for quickly taking holster on and off when getting in and out of the car.

Deadbolt
02-22-2010, 11:12 AM
From personal experience unfortunately holster choices for the 6906 can be fairly limited. Plus being a decent size gun might be a little uncomfortable to wear while actually driving, especially depending on the kind of seats in your vehicle. Seats with any kind of side bolstering tend to make hip carry uncomfortable.

You might consider just holstering when you're out of the car and then have the gun on the seat or center console while you're driving. In which case some kind of a paddle holster would be good for quickly taking holster on and off when getting in and out of the car.

thats a good suggestion, i could just velcro a paddle onto the side of the dash or under it or something -thanks everyone!

duc748bip
02-22-2010, 11:45 AM
I think Galco used to make a crossdraw holster that sort of place the gun horizontally on the weak hand side. it was designed specifically for your situation. But I cannot find it on their website anymore.

aermotor
02-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Just make sure it's actually concealed...