PDA

View Full Version : I want a new .22 handgun! Help me choose.

RANash
02-19-2010, 6:15 PM
I bought a .22 conversion kit for my 1911, and now I want a real .22 handgun. I know about the Buckmark and the Ruger. What else is out there? Suggestions?

Also, who makes modification parts to upgrade the stock .22's?

Thanks in advance!

Esquire
02-19-2010, 6:25 PM
I have a Heritage revolver. It is inexpensive, and comes with 2 cylinders - 22lr and 22 mag. Being a single action and having 6.5" barrel, it was also exempt from the infamous roster. I've been taking it out to the range, and fun to shoot. The look and feel is totally Old West, cowboy style.

Thefeeder
02-19-2010, 6:51 PM
Look into High Standard pistols.....the older the better.

Turo
02-19-2010, 6:56 PM
I like my Beretta U22 Neos. It's definitely different than most the others, plus there's a carbine kit for it.

tempdrummer
02-19-2010, 7:28 PM
My Glock 17 with Advantage Arms .22 Conversion is by far the most fun pistol I have owned. I used to have a ruger 22/45 which was a great pistol but I never really liked the sights on it.

P.S.
This is in the wrong forum

CSACANNONEER
02-19-2010, 7:45 PM
Besides Ruger Mk I, IIs, IIIs and buckmarks, look for:

Any High Standard, S&W 41 (not the POS 22A), Ruger SP101, Ruger Single Six, Heritage Arms Revolvers, any S&W revolver.

trickyvic
02-19-2010, 8:35 PM
My recommendations are Ruger MK series, Buckmark, S&W 617. If you ever want to shoot a 617 or MKIII Hunter, I invite you to join me over at Yolo Sportmens. Good luck with what's sure to be a tough decision.

SkiDevil
02-19-2010, 8:42 PM
I bought a .22 conversion kit for my 1911, and now I want a real .22 handgun. I know about the Buckmark and the Ruger. What else is out there? Suggestions?

Also, who makes modification parts to upgrade the stock .22's?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Ranash,
I would seriously take a look at the Browning Buck Mark .22 Pistol. I purchased one several weeks ago and I have absolutely no regrets. I have owned several Ruger Mark pistols and a couple of others including a revolver.

Initially I was considering another Ruger Mark .22 Pistol but after handling and firing a Browning I was sold. It is much lighter than the Standard Ruger and easier to clean with greater access to the chamber area of the gun.

Try to find one to shoot. It is a nice gun. However, the only problem is that right now the Buck Marks are somewhat scarce. If you are not in a terrible hurry, I would suggest placing an order for one.

I have shot several hundred rounds through mine and it runs like a sewing machine. Very reliable and accurate. At 20 and 30 feet I was shooting-out the bull of a standard 50' Bullseye target, off-hand and unsupported.

Also, it points extremely well and is reminiscent to me of a 4-4.5" centerfire pistol. I was practicing double-tap drills, and multiple target drills on Silhouette targets and it handles/ feels similar to a Glock or SIG pistol (The Browning Buck Mark with 5.5" barrel is around 34 oz./ A Glock is approx. the same weight empty). A good practice tool.

I tried a couple of rimfire pistol kits (SIG and Glock) and just didn't care for them. I dislike having to disassemble my primary handgun to use the kit. But it may be an option for you.

The only negatives that I would pass-on is like so many other guns, Browning is using more plastic in the gun. I purchased a 5.5" Stainless Camper and both the rear sight assembly and the front sight blade are made of plastic [I will be replacing the plastic sights with metal ones myself]. Also, the magazines are more difficult to find and cost ($30 Each) around $10 more than the Ruger.

All total the Pistol and a few extra-mags cost me around $450. A little on the high-side but considering the guns are harder to locate than almost any other .22 pistol right now I didn't feel short-changed.

Try a few guns and see what suits you.

Good Luck with your search.
SkiDevil

P.S. If you are on a budget, then the Ruger Mark III 22/45 may be another option as well with the standard Blued model selling for around $300 after taxes and DROS. I have shot a few of them and it is an accurate gun as well. I just liked the over-all feel, appearance, and handling of the Browning better. But to each his own.:D

Link: http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=006B&catalog_=B

.22 Pistol Pistol Accessories/ Tactical Solutions: http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/home.asp

RANash
02-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks all for the information and advice. Any more?

Moderators - feel free to move this to the right location in the forums. I inadvertantly started it in the wrong place.

lorax3
02-20-2010, 12:26 AM
I like my Beretta U22 Neos. It's definitely different than most the others, plus there's a carbine kit for it.

Be careful when getting these carbine kits, you are playing in NFA territory at that point.

The Thomson arms case makes things interesting.

Excitable Boy
02-20-2010, 12:32 AM
I've had a basic Buckmark for many years and love it. I've tried a bunch of Rugers and own other Ruger guns, but like the Buckmark for a .22 rimfire. I'd like to get a higher end version with a longer Bull barrel and adjustable trigger, but when I start thinking of spending that much money, my mind wanders over to the Smith & Wesson 41. I don't own a S&W gun and that seems like it would be a good representation of the brand in my small collection.:)

tempdrummer
02-20-2010, 8:08 AM
Ah yes. I forgot about the S&W 617. That's my next .22 pistol for sure. They are pricey but awesome.

RANash
02-20-2010, 11:22 PM
After a lot of thought and comparison, I bought a Buckmark Camper. Very basic, but if .22 turns out to be a passion, a SW 41 may be in my future. In the meantime, the Buckmark is going to be fun, I think.

Thanks for all the information!

FEMUN
02-21-2010, 1:29 PM
Besides Ruger Mk I, IIs, IIIs and buckmarks, look for:

Any High Standard, S&W 41 (not the POS 22A), Ruger SP101, Ruger Single Six, Heritage Arms Revolvers, any S&W revolver.

why is the S&W 22A a POS?

SoCalRandy
02-21-2010, 3:21 PM
After a lot of thought and comparison, I bought a Buckmark Camper. Very basic, but if .22 turns out to be a passion, a SW 41 may be in my future. In the meantime, the Buckmark is going to be fun, I think.

Thanks for all the information!

No pics for us yet?

tempdrummer
02-21-2010, 3:53 PM
No pics for us yet?

Its only been 1 day. That leaves at least 9 to go :D

anniepoks
03-07-2010, 10:10 PM
may i suggest .22 magnum revolver?
taurus or S&W not bad. you can shoot 22LR as well if you like to.
i guess it would be worth getting one.

MotherGoose
03-12-2010, 9:06 AM
I love my Sig Sauer Mosquito, Yes it is very picky about ammo, Federal game shock high velocity runs smoothly though my little gun,

dlouie87
03-29-2010, 10:43 PM
I love my buckmark.

freonr22
03-29-2010, 10:44 PM
model 41 end of story

usmcchet9296
04-03-2010, 10:11 PM
7 yards unsupported with my Kimber Rimfire Target today
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2788/4488855642_b5b60c9729.jpg
hard to beat that