PDA

View Full Version : Savage MK II TR, 10 days to go......

FMJBT
02-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Ordered one of these yesterday, will post pics and a review once I've had a chance to take it out to the range:

http://www.savagearms.com/images/firearms/finder/big/markiitr.png

iareConfusE
02-17-2010, 10:41 PM
I've been looking into this rifle recently to use as my precision .22LR, assuming I ever get enough money to pay for it.

Looks pretty good.

rkt88edmo
02-17-2010, 11:15 PM
How was the pricing compared to the BV model?

FMJBT
02-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Retail is $469.00 IIRC. Since it's so new, and had to be special ordered, I got charged retail too. It ended up being $550 out the door after shipping, DROS, tax, and transfer fee. Probably still less than I would have spent trying to build a comprable rifle.

Arteel
02-27-2010, 9:40 PM
I really like that stock. Are there any other differences from the TR compared to the BV other than the stock?

Wonder if we will be able to purchase that stock seperately?

FMJBT
02-28-2010, 4:28 PM
No range report yet, but I did snap some pics:

http://forums.hybridz.org/uploads/1267067193/gallery_207_725_8774.jpg

http://forums.hybridz.org/uploads/1267406095/gallery_207_725_101196.jpg

http://forums.hybridz.org/uploads/1267406095/gallery_207_725_40552.jpg

Side by side with the Savage 10FP McMillan:
http://forums.hybridz.org/uploads/1267406095/gallery_207_725_112853.jpg

Swapped out factory two piece mounts with an EGW 20 MOA mount. Scope is a Famous Maker/FM Optics 4-14X44 FFP Mil Dot mounted in TMS low rings.

FMJBT
02-28-2010, 4:39 PM
I really like that stock. Are there any other differences from the TR compared to the BV other than the stock?

Wonder if we will be able to purchase that stock seperately?

The stock is pretty nice, although I wish it were scaled up a bit. It's like they took the McMillan stock and scaled it down to about 80%. It feels similar, but the grip is a bit slimmer. Supposedly the stock is made for Savage by Boyd's. It's actually a wood or laminate stock that's been painted. I would have prefered one of the new Choate Tactical stocks that are basically clones of the McMillan.

Other than the stock, I think the fluted 22" barrel and tactical bolt knob are the only major differences between this and the BV. I think if there were more stock options available for the MKII, I'd probably opt for the BV or FV and just upgrade from there.

Arteel
02-28-2010, 7:25 PM
I like it! Although the price tag seems a bit steep.

FMJBT
02-28-2010, 7:48 PM
I like it! Although the price tag seems a bit steep.

I think the street price will drop quite a bit once they have been out for a while. I think it's a great rifle as it is, but Savage definitely could have made some improvements on it, like a synthetic stock with aluminum bedding block. I'll have to see how this one shoots, but I'm already thinking about glass bedding the action.

DirtRacer151
02-28-2010, 8:23 PM
hows the FM scope holding up in the long term?

been thinking about getting one to match the Falcon on my Sako

FMJBT
02-28-2010, 8:51 PM
hows the FM scope holding up in the long term?

been thinking about getting one to match the Falcon on my Sako

The FM is a great scope for the price. The one on my 10FP has held up to 200 rounds of 308 so far without issue. I have one on an AR-15 as well that has had about 300 rounds through it. I robbed the FM scope off of my Remington Sendero 300WM to put on MKII, it had 20 rounds of 300 without any problems. Not a high count, but they have only been out for la little less than a year, 7 months of which I spent deployed to Kuwait. Tracking on all 3 scopes has been flawless. I'd say mechanically, they are every bit as durable and accurate as the Falcon scopes. I plan on buying several more for my other rifles so I can have the same reticle and adjustments between all my scoped rifles.

Arteel
03-01-2010, 3:55 AM
Sounds good. Definitely looking forward to a range report. :thumbsup:

I think the street price will drop quite a bit once they have been out for a while. I think it's a great rifle as it is, but Savage definitely could have made some improvements on it, like a synthetic stock with aluminum bedding block. I'll have to see how this one shoots, but I'm already thinking about glass bedding the action.

FMJBT
03-14-2010, 9:15 PM
Took it out today for a pretty informal sighting in and blasting session. Initial sight in was at about 70 yards to get on paper, then moved out to 100 for zeroing. First impression: OMFG this thing is accurate! Using Wolf 40gr match ammo, it seems easily sub moa even at 100 yards. Like I said, this was very informal, but aiming for the center of a plain white piece of paper, I was able to get a 5 shot group measuring just under an inch. If I would have had an actual point to aim at, this would have been even less. Next time I think I'll take some bacon out there to hang near the targets so I'll have some flies to shoot at :D It's also extremely quiet. The sound of the firing pin dropping is actually louder than the report of the rifle when shouldering it. I tried lobbing some rounds out to the steel plate set up at 450 yards. Unfortunately the soil is still damp enough out there that I couldn't see a dust print from my impacts. I have no way of knowing where my shots were landing. Eventually I plan on getting it out there though :) Once I get some more trigger time behind it with some different ammo at various ranges I'll write up a more detailed review in the rimfire forum.

surfNshoot
03-19-2010, 3:08 PM
Just Got one of these on sale at Turners. Can't wait to pick it up and shoot it!!! I'll add my thoughts to your thread after a little time with it.

usmcchet9296
03-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Nice I have one on layaway at Turners