PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Swap Between Laptops, Possible?

Stormfeather
02-17-2010, 6:32 PM
Well, looks like my laptop finally bit the dust. Its a laptop I got in Iraq, so its had to deal with a lot of abuse. Dust Storms, bumping, yanked power cords, ect ect. The power connection finally broke in it, so it wont power up/charge now. So I have a question, since the hard drive is fine, is it possible to buy another laptop, same make, model. specs, ect ect, and just swap out the hard drives from the old broken down one to the new one I am purchasing? Will it work ok with no issues? The reason Im asking is there are tons of pics on the hard drive that are from Iraq, my last vacation, the last Shoot-N-Que, my welcome home party, and my going away party that I would love to make sure are safe. Any help you guys can give me on this would be awesome before I buy the next laptop.
Thanks all!

ke6guj
02-17-2010, 6:35 PM
its possible, but a better solution would be to just buy the laptop you want and then just remove the old HD and plug it into the new laptop as a slave unit. Copy off the stuff you want and then you can do whatever you want with the old HD, either use it as a portable, or as a backup device.

use something like this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186036&cm_re=usb_to_sata-_-12-186-036-_-Product

I use one and it makes copying data off random drives a piece of cake.

RookieShooter
02-17-2010, 6:42 PM
The simplest way is to get one of this USB to IDE/SATA converter cable (http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/USB-2.0-to-IDE-SATA-Converter-Cable/4370814/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=12338551) and connect the old hard drive to your computer through a USB port and then just copy everything into a new drive or burn a DVD to archive your pictures.

bigmike82
02-17-2010, 6:43 PM
" it possible to buy another laptop, same make, model. specs, ect ect, and just swap out the hard drives from the old broken down one to the new one I am purchasing"
Yes.

What kind of laptop was it?

ac427cpe
02-17-2010, 6:47 PM
You could, or just buy a harddrive enclosure. Then you can transfer everything over via usb/firewire and then reformat the old drive. Then you end up with an external harddrive and don't have to worry about finding the exact same make/model.

I've got one of these, works great: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182143

RookieShooter
02-17-2010, 6:50 PM
I've got one of these, works great: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182143

Excellent idea. I have one of this too and then you can use your old drive as a portable drive.

CpuFixrMan
02-17-2010, 6:52 PM
My short answer would be... possibly, if you are willing to endure some pain. The suggestion to get an external adapter, and connect the old drive to the new system and drag your old files off, is a good one, and one I recommend frequently. First though, you need to know what interface the drive is. (IDE vs. SATA). If you want to PM the make/model to me, I can send you some suggestions. The benefit to hooking this up externally is two-fold. One, you aren't locked into any one model of replacement. Two, you now have a drive that is an archive of your files that you can store in your gun safe.

ke6guj
02-17-2010, 6:55 PM
The suggestion to get an external adapter, and connect the old drive to the new system and drag your old files off, is a good one, and one I recommend frequently. First though, you need to know what interface the drive is. (IDE vs. SATA).

which is why I recommended an adapter that has both the IDE and SATA connectors. That way he is covered no matter what. And some of hte external enclosures have both connectors in them as well.

Stormfeather
02-17-2010, 7:16 PM
The old unit is a Compaq Presario C50-115RN model. Its about a two years old, and it does everything I want it to do. Simple, easy to use, and works great for my limited computing knowledge. As far as using it as a secondary hard drive, thats great and all, but will I be able to open programs on it that I have on it currently? eg: I have a Kodak camera and the kodak pictures all on it, will I be able to open that program like I would on my old computer? I have no idea if its IDE/SATA or whatever. Im just not that computer saavy guys, thats why I thought this may be the easiest solution to my problem. Replace the old hard drive into the same make/model laptop it came out of. I mean, its just a case of pull the old one out, put it into the new/refurbished laptop thats been flashed and has nothing on it yet. right. . . ?

ke6guj
02-17-2010, 7:31 PM
No, programs that were installed on the old laptop probably won't work just by reading them offf a secondary drive on a new laptop. Some might, but most won't. You'd need to re-install those programs on a new laptop. but a new laptop with WIndows 7 will have built-in photo transfer software, so you might not need to reinstall any Kodak software.

the reason we are recommending just buyin a new laptop and not try to find an old one is that you have to match it exactly. Otherwise, if there is any difference inthe hardware, you may have driver compatability issues. Many times it can be fixed, but as you said, you aren't that computer savy, so you might get a situation that you just can't get the old HD to boot up the "new" laptop properly.

DOn't worry if ithe HD is IDE or SATA, just buy an adapter cable that has both. It'll actually have 3 plugs, one SATA, and 2 IDE ports (one for 3.5" HDs and another one for 2.5" HDs).

Stormfeather
02-17-2010, 7:44 PM
Ok guys, Im going to try out that USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Adapter with Power Adapter that you guys reccomended. I hope this works, I will go ahead and pick up another laptop tomorrow and order that cable thingy off of newegg. If I have any problems, I will hit you guys up and blame you for it! :thumbsup: Im J/K! Thanks guys, you all rock!

chiefcrash
02-18-2010, 7:59 PM
Bill: I would get one of the external boxes and stick the drive in it. Just copy stuff of it and try getting used to the new computer. That's the best way to go about it.

But, if for some reason there's something on the old one you can't get on the new one, and must have, then let me know before you start deleting/screwing with the old drive too much (copying stuff off it is fine). I got some nifty software you can try...

Stormfeather
02-18-2010, 8:05 PM
Jason, thanks buddy, sandy went out and got me a new laptop tonight, Im on it now. Im going to try and stick the old drive into one of those cases and hook up those cables they recommended for me. If I have any issues, I will let ya know!
Thanks Buddy!

JDay
02-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Just buy an external enclosure for the drive since the installed copy of windows probably wont boot on the new laptop. Should be a 2.5" SATA drive. Something like this will work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817193061

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/17-193-061-Z01?$S180W$

You may need to take ownership of the files on the drive to get access to them.

http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

gn3hz3ku1*
02-27-2010, 6:08 PM
hey check out slickdeals.net for a deal on a laptop if your not in a rush