PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new computer to connect?

Acorn556
02-17-2010, 11:02 AM
I have a laptop I've been using for 2 or 3 years now. Worked fine even after my ex threw it into a wall.....twice. Last place I lived it would connect MOST of the time but sometimes it threw a fit and I had to be right on top of the router to connect but then it was good to go.

NOW....I get a DNS from the one router my roommate has setup and the other is an unlocked Apple network. The problem is....sometimes it just disconnects or I have to connect to the DNS error router THEN the Apple routher. They are right next to each other and I get 5 bars from the one router and barley 2 from the Apple.

My question is will a new laptop fix this problem? I'm kind of irritated that I can't just sit in my room and surf the net before bed. I'm pretty sure my roommate isn't too happy with me leaving the laptop in the living room either.

choprzrul
02-17-2010, 11:05 AM
make sure those two routers are not on the same channel and don't both have the same SSID (wireless network name). Then give your wireless adaptor a static IP address, it always seems to help wireless stability.

Blackhawk556
02-18-2010, 8:12 PM
doesn't it cost extra to use a static ip?? i mean compared to a dynamic ip.

yes, make sure they aren't on the same channel or that may give you problems. also, make sure that you select "connect to preferred network" or something like that

lazyworm
02-18-2010, 8:39 PM
Not enough info to truly diagnose the problem.

I'd suggest...
1. make sure firmware is up to date on the laptop and both routers
2. since the laptop was thrown a couple times, make sure no components
inside is lose.
3. since you said the apple router is unlocked/open, make sure the apple router is not out of IP addresses

Acorn556
02-19-2010, 2:03 AM
how do I do all this? Not the best with computers.

PS3 has no problems connecting really...odd that it says 70% and it's right next to it as well.

Laptop should be fine. Other internet connections work fine it's just this one.

JDay
02-20-2010, 1:14 PM
Change the wireless channel on the router to auto, should find the clearest channel to use.

Acorn556
02-23-2010, 8:31 PM
Apple router. No switch.

Trying to get this figured out so I can use my laptop REALIBLY in my room and not have to leave it out in the living area.

Components fine inside.

Not sure how to check if it's out of IP addresses.

Rivers
02-25-2010, 4:33 PM
First, whether it's an Apple router or Netgear, Linksys, Belkin, etc. makes no difference. They all conform to the same industry standards. After using all of them, I've found the Apple Airport Extreme to be the best performing and fully featured of them all.

Before resolving conflicts, I have to ask why the two routers? Are they both in your residence? If so, one should be set up as the router and the other can be an access point to extend the router's wireless range. *

Assuming the routers are just overlapping from adjacent residences, I'd make sure that the routers aren't on the same channel. Most routers also come by default with at least 100 IP addresses in the DHCP dynamic range. A router will connect with up to 254 devices, any combination of which would be static or dynamic devices (computers, printers, access points, whether wireless or wired.) Static is more reliable so if you can set your computer up that way, great. You can also change the DHCP range that your router delivers.

It would help to know the OS involved with the computers, which router(s) you control, whether you can coordinate with the owner of the conflicting router, etc. Working together will probably make for a better resolution.

* after re-reading your post, I'm thinking that your roommate's router is unnecessary and the likely cause of the problems. Is he having problems connecting to the Apple router? If so, resolve that connection issue, take his problem router offline and enjoy some reliable wireless connectivity. Are you both connecting to the same ISP modem? That might be the issue. Even if the ISP modem has multiple network ports, it only delivers ONE IP address unless you're paying for more. The router that grabs that IP address first gets the connection. The other gets nada. Both will deliver a strong wireless signal but only one router's wireless has an Internet connection. You may need to power off all devices (router and modem), then power up the modem, let it fully boot, then power up the router fully. Then connect with the computers. Don't use both routers on the same modem.

JDay
02-25-2010, 4:48 PM
First, whether it's an Apple router or Netgear, Linksys, Belkin, etc. makes no difference. They all conform to the same industry standards. After using all of them, I've found the Apple Airport Extreme to be the best performing and fully featured of them all.

Before resolving conflicts, I have to ask why the two routers? Are they both in your residence? If so, one should be set up as the router and the other can be an access point to extend the router's wireless range. *

You mean repeater not access point. As it is they are both access points.

Acorn556
03-02-2010, 10:57 AM
I think the second one was setup since the first one (comcast I believe) is throwing a DNS error. Account not in my name so I can't just call them and ask for them to send me a new router or anything.

I'd REALLY like to have an access point just so the whole house is covered but right now that might not work so well. I'm not sure if the condo has another access point. I'm going to look for some cables and see if I can hardline my laptop from my room and ditch wireless. I tried hardlining into the DNS erroring router and that didn't work either.

Blade
03-02-2010, 3:17 PM
Its the Network card in your laptop. Optimally you would want the Router and NIC (network Interface Card) on your laptop to be from the same manufacturer (Belkin to Belkin, Linksys to Linksys). Even though everything is supposed to be universal (802.11b/g/n) some of the obscure or cheap manufacturers are a bit finicky. I had a D-Link wireless card that was always flacky with my Linksys Router. Luckily newer laptops and routers have improved. If your PS3 connects fine and reliably then it is not a signal, ISP, DNS or chennel issue. The previous posts are right in that there is no need for two routers so close together, they'll just get in the way of each other. Go to the laptop and router manufacturer web sites and download the latest FIRMWARE for that device and install it. Disconnect the Apple router and just use the other one after you've updated the firmware. Turn on the 128 bit encryption and make a SIMPLE password for it. Reconnect all your devices.

JDay
03-03-2010, 6:12 AM
I think the second one was setup since the first one (comcast I believe) is throwing a DNS error. Account not in my name so I can't just call them and ask for them to send me a new router or anything.

I'd REALLY like to have an access point just so the whole house is covered but right now that might not work so well. I'm not sure if the condo has another access point. I'm going to look for some cables and see if I can hardline my laptop from my room and ditch wireless. I tried hardlining into the DNS erroring router and that didn't work either.

Do you even know what DNS is? I ask this because I seriously doubt there is a DNS issue. After all, you can load web sites.

JDay
03-03-2010, 6:19 AM
Its the Network card in your laptop. Optimally you would want the Router and NIC (network Interface Card) on your laptop to be from the same manufacturer (Belkin to Belkin, Linksys to Linksys).

That makes no difference, they all follow the same RFC and ISO standards.

Turn on the 128 bit encryption and make a SIMPLE password for it.

128 bit WEP encryption can be cracked in seconds, if you want real security enable WPA2-Personal using AES-CCMP encryption. This is the kind of encryption the DoD uses for sensitive information (classified Secret and above). You have to make sure you set it to use only AES however since the TKIP encryption is quite vulnerable to attack. You also do not want to use a simple password since those are easy to break using a dictionary attack, you want a password that uses lowercase, uppercase, numbers and symbols.