PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Networking

Aldemar
02-17-2010, 10:07 AM
I receintly got an HP Netbook that comes with Windows 7 Home Premium installed.

It connects to my wireless router with no issues but can't seem to find my other two computers which are running XP Pro sp3. The other 2 computers are connected as a Workgroup and can access each others printers with no issues. The router is acting as a DHCP so I don't think IP addressing is the issue. Perhaps if I disable IPV6 on the netbook? Router is from ATT Uverse.

Windows 7 calls the workgroup a "homegroup" and I an wondering if there is a compatability issue with the two different OS's. Knowing Microsoft as I do, I'd bet that if I upgrade to Win 7 - Ultimate, the issue will be resolved.

If so, I may install XP Pro on the netbook.

Any one else run onto this?

bigmike82
02-17-2010, 10:52 AM
There's some funny authentication/encryption settings in Vista and 7 that can hamper compatibility with other, older windows boxes.

Try to access those machines using IP, and see if you get an error.

To do this, hit (windows and r) at the same time, then type in:

\\IP.ADDRESS\

What do you get?

Aldemar
02-17-2010, 11:09 AM
I'll give that a shot when I get home....The thing that baffles me though is I have internet access through the router.

thanks

choprzrul
02-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Start-->Control Panel-->Network & Sharing Center-->Choose Homegroup & Sharing Options-->Change Advanced Sharing Settings...-->Turn On Network Discovery

You might have to restart for it to start seeing other devices correctly. You might also have to tweak settings in your antivirus program if you are running an "Internet Security" type of software. They typically have a network section and options for sharing. Free AV programs most likely won't have these options.

Aldemar
02-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Done that several times. I'm running Kapursky (sp) 2010.

choprzrul
02-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Done that several times. I'm running Kapursky (sp) 2010.

If I had to guess, I would say it is the Kaspersky then. Poke around in it to see if you can find network and sharing settings. Buried deep most of the time.

Blackhawk556
02-17-2010, 2:14 PM
just to let you know, homegroup only works with other windows 7 computers. since you are running xp on two of those computers they will not show up under the homegroup. im not saying you won't be able to network, just that they might not show up for homegroup. try here
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/thread/86ad5a72-19db-4dab-8040-802fb585673b/

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Search/en-US/?query=homegroup%20doesn%27t%20show%20other%20comp uters%20on%20netowrk&rq=meta:Search.MSForums.ForumID(766c02af-6528-41c6-9e68-f0c91617a761)+site:microsoft.com&rn=Networking%2c+Mail%2c+and+Getting+Online+Forum