PDA

View Full Version : Utah resident working in CA

b1ack5mith
02-16-2010, 2:51 PM
Hey everyone, I'm a member of OCDO, and I have a few Q's...

I plan on maintaining UT residency the entire time I work in CA. I do not plan on getting a CA DL because I will still be living in UT (the job provides a place to sleep). I will be returning to UT every couple weeks or so. Anyway, I saw the "New Resident etc..." form for importing firearms into CA... However, it appears that this form is only necessary for TRUE residents of CA (It asks for the persons California Drivers License #). Will I be required to actually obtain CA residency? If I claim CA residency, my UT CWP will be revoked.

Just checking all the laws that pertain to this... I don't want to get introuble for OCing an "unregistered" firearm in CA!

Thanks guys/gals

Doheny
02-16-2010, 3:29 PM
FWIW, the bay area is about the worst place you could OC in Calif. Additionally, search around this site, you'll find that OCing is not being recommended for a number of reasons. I'm sure someone who knows more than me will chime in soon.

dustoff31
02-16-2010, 7:26 PM
Hey everyone, I'm a member of OCDO, and I have a few Q's...

I plan on maintaining UT residency the entire time I work in CA. I do not plan on getting a CA DL because I will still be living in UT (the job provides a place to sleep). I will be returning to UT every couple weeks or so. Anyway, I saw the "New Resident etc..." form for importing firearms into CA... However, it appears that this form is only necessary for TRUE residents of CA (It asks for the persons California Drivers License #). Will I be required to actually obtain CA residency? If I claim CA residency, my UT CWP will be revoked.

Just checking all the laws that pertain to this... I don't want to get introuble for OCing an "unregistered" firearm in CA!

Thanks guys/gals

As a visitor, or new resident to CA, you have 60 days to register any handguns you bring with you. If you plan on going home to UT every couple of weeks, I'm sure you'll take your gun back and forth with you and so it would never be in CA for more than 60 days at a time right?

Unless you plan on buying or selling any guns while in CA, I don't see that claiming CA residency would benefit you at all.

If you are working in CA, legally, you are supposed to claim CA residency and get a CA DL, License plates, etc. But, I'm limiting my response to the subject of guns.

ETA: Oh yeah. OC. Please don't. Do a search of the forum on this subject.

b1ack5mith
02-17-2010, 2:36 PM
I suppose I will just claim dual state residency, it would be easier that way. I don't want to give up my UT residency just for work in CA

Glock22Fan
02-17-2010, 3:33 PM
You are supposed to register your handguns if you become a resident. However, even if you don't, the only real problem is if you are caught illegally carrying them. In that case, having the firearms unregistered gets you a felony charge instead of a misdemeanor. As you won't be carrying your firearms illegally, if isn't something you need worry about.

And yes, please, please forget the idea of OC, especially in the Bay area.

You will upset the native sheep, possibly add to the political cry to increase gun bans, get the cops very interested in you (to the point where you could be eating dirt with drawn guns pointed at you and you may end up spending ten thousand defending your actions in court). You might well be in the right in what you did, but it could be a hassle proving it.