PDA

View Full Version : BLM Ammo Regs

blacklisted
01-19-2006, 7:43 AM
From Hollister site:

The following weapons and ammunition are PROHIBITED on public lands: Assault weapons, as defined and listed in the California Penal Code Section 12276; Machine Guns; Shotguns with barrels less than 18 inches in length; Rifles with barrels less than 16 inches in length; Tracer ammunition, Armored Piercing ammunition; Steel-Jacketed ammunition; Steel-Cored ammunition; Incendiary or Explosive ammunition. There are exceptions! Please contact the Law Enforcement Ranger for the area in which you will be hunting or target shooting, to ensure you´re using legal weapons and ammo.

Is this just old/outdated info, or do they really ban the use of steel jacketed ammunition.

delloro
01-19-2006, 7:45 AM
call them and ask, BLM has been very helpful with me.

the AW thing especially might have changed

M1A Rifleman
01-19-2006, 7:51 AM
I beleive this info is about 2-years old now. If I recall correctly, their site stated the use of AW's was NOT permitted, so I am sure this IS current info - no doubt they are worried about fires due to steel jacket/core ammo.

Clodbuster
01-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Do the regulations concerning firearms and BLM land change from regions in CA? I recall seeing a SoCal BLM website that stated that AWs were fine.

Also I understand tracers starting fires, but how does steel core start a fire?

Clod

I beleive this info is about 2-years old now. If I recall correctly, their site stated the use of AW's was NOT permitted, so I am sure this IS current info - no doubt they are worried about fires due to steel jacket/core ammo.

M1A Rifleman
01-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Do the regulations concerning firearms and BLM land change from regions in CA? I recall seeing a SoCal BLM website that stated that AWs were fine.

Also I understand tracers starting fires, but how does steel core start a fire?

Clod

I think they may tend to change slightly between region as the area managers may impose their own will. As for AW use, it is apparently up to area managers to allow.

As for steel jacket/core ammo & fires, the concern are sparks, which may not be total BS as many ranges ban this type of ammo.

metalhead357
01-19-2006, 1:25 PM
I was just asking about a tangent of this on another thread a couple days ago.
Assualt weapons (in SOME AREAS) ARE allowed. Pulling up certain BLM sub sites will say if they do....cant seem to find the friggin PDF file another member mentioned (for BLM Instruction Memorandum No. CA-2003-049 from July 15, 2003. ) as it supposedly has all the latest updated info (and I would assume it also has info on ammunition)

ANYBODY finding this stuff out- PLEASE PM me or let me know.... CALLING these freaks ONLY RESULTS IN HEADACHES. Call one day they say yes, call the next they'll say no, call another branch & they dont know......

We, me, You, SOMEONE has to get ahold of the actual regs and PLEASE post them/it here! I know I will if I somehow stumple acrross it...cause I sure as heck int been able to find it on purpose!!!!!!

Metalhead

M1A Rifleman
01-19-2006, 1:39 PM
I was just asking about a tangent of this on another thread a couple days ago.
Assualt weapons (in SOME AREAS) ARE allowed. Pulling up certain BLM sub sites will say if they do....cant seem to find the friggin PDF file another member mentioned (for BLM Instruction Memorandum No. CA-2003-049 from July 15, 2003. ) as it supposedly has all the latest updated info (and I would assume it also has info on ammunition)

ANYBODY finding this stuff out- PLEASE PM me or let me know.... CALLING these freaks ONLY RESULTS IN HEADACHES. Call one day they say yes, call the next they'll say no, call another branch & they dont know......

We, me, You, SOMEONE has to get ahold of the actual regs and PLEASE post them/it here! I know I will if I somehow stumple acrross it...cause I sure as heck int been able to find it on purpose!!!!!!

Metalhead

Do a search for the memorandum number and you get the letter. I am printing for my files now.

metalhead357
01-19-2006, 2:02 PM
Do a search for the memorandum number and you get the letter. I am printing for my files now.

Ahhhhh, WHERE?
Goggle throws me either 2 hits or 2 million hits.

Gota direct link?
(Yea, I'm acting like a newbie aint I~ Haa ha!)

Thanks
Metalhead

metalhead357
01-19-2006, 2:32 PM
He came through! Here it is on ASSUALT WEAPONS... sorry, nada on the ammo part
http://www.50bmgstore.com/50/CAIM2003-049.pdf

thanks m1a rifleman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!