PDA

View Full Version : Thinking out loud about range rental pistols

BadIndianSwamp
02-15-2010, 8:29 PM
It seems that I start every post with "I am a recent handgun enthusiast." Well...I am.
I have a revolver (GP100) that I bought after much research and I love it. I am am now interested in getting a semi-auto pistol. I have tried a few 9mm's and a couple of .40's. Next weekend I am going to try a few .45's. I am a member at my local indoor range, and I can try any of their guns for free. How great is that?

I read a lot and was pretty sure that I was going to buy an XD. However, both range XD's that I tried had some problems. The 9mm failed to fire 10 of the 50 round range ammo. I had to eject the unfired rounds and that was not too simple either as they would get stuck as I was trying to eject them. I was thinking..."man, I am glad nobody is shooting at me right now!!" It was determined that the firing pin was week and a new XD fired the 10 rounds without a problem. I then got a Glock 19 and an M&P 9m and each fired 50 rounds without a problem. The XD-40 had a problem with two rounds out of the 50 round bag. Would not fire them to save it's life. I loaded each several times and then had to eject them. I saved the rounds for my next gun - an .40 M&P. The 2 problem rounds and a new bag of 50 fired flawlessly.

Now I know that the XD's could have a ton of rounds fired and are in need of maintenance, BUT I am now done wanting an XD. My confidence in them is lost and I will not be able to get this experience out of my head. I know that logic tells me to give Springfield some more chances, but confidence is a tough thing to regain.
Just thinking out loud.

ZombieKiller
02-15-2010, 8:31 PM
HK....nuff said.

Cokebottle
02-15-2010, 8:34 PM
I've got probably 2000 rounds through my XD9.
I've had what you describe maybe 1 out of every 300 rounds of WWB FMJ. Never a problem with JHP.

I suspect a light polishing of the ramp would fix it.

Millions-Knives
02-15-2010, 8:41 PM
Range equipment is far from the best. Tons of rounds fired may even be an understatement... who knows how long some ranges go without properly cleaning their firearms. Now, I know my local in-door range cleans them every night. I too, was disheartened to see a broken P226 at one of my ranges (as I was looking to try and perhaps purchase one.)

Also consider the ammunition you're shooting, range reloads aren't the greatest either. We don't know how consistent their loads are, their OAL etc etc may be out of spec.

Keep in mind that semi-autos are inherently LESS reliable than your revolver as they depend several more factors like your mag springs, extractors/springs etc etc and tend to be more ammunition finicky.

Best on your gun search.

evidens83
02-15-2010, 8:44 PM
The G19 will ease all of your worries ;)

Millions-Knives
02-15-2010, 8:44 PM
HK....nuff said.

I've had one failure to feed. :o

Black Majik
02-15-2010, 8:48 PM
Rental guns get a lot of use, and for the most part aren't nearly as well maintained as those in private ownership. I wouldn't discount a XD based on a range experience.

For the most part, all the XDs my friend's have all run. They will run great, except when the owner shoots their reloads with bullets barely clearing the barrel (*ahem * andy *ahem*) :D

Echidin
02-15-2010, 8:50 PM
Rental guns get a lot of use, and for the most part aren't nearly as well maintained as those in private ownership.

That's an understatement! I've seen some guns in pretty poor condition, it's a wonder how they're still even renting them out!

jermedic
02-15-2010, 8:58 PM
I have thousands of rounds thru my xd40 subcompact and almost never have an issue with it. I have had maybe 3 FTE's with it over the years and those were all with range reloads. I have NEVER had an issue of any kind with any brand of factory ammo. I also clean and lube it after each trip. I would think that the range gun may have needed cleaning/lube or maybe even have had worn out springs or something. I also own a glock 36 and wouldn't hesitate to recomend a glock either. Never had an issue with mine and glock has good customer service. I am putting both the XD and Glock on my permit application and would not think twice about trusting my life to either one.

gorenut
02-15-2010, 9:07 PM
XDs are reliable. My friend has never had any failures with his.

That said.. if I were in your position, I'd go Glock. My first handgun was also a GP100. When I went for my first semi, I went for something similar to my revolver in a semi form.. a Sig P226. Full size, Stainless Steel, first trigger pull is double action, heavy (relatively), etc.

While I don't fully regret my decision now... if I could do it all over again.. I probably would have gone Glock and then in the future get a P226. I'm also basing this on your decision to look at the XD.. which sounds like you want something distinctly different. I think Glock is just that except both the GP100 and Glock share the qualities of being totally utilitarian handguns, even foregoing "looks" (though I have learned to love how both of them look). - this over here is strictly all my opinion ofcourse.

Glocks also offer all calibers and sizes to perfectly meet your needs. On top of that, its got a distinct advantage above many other polymers out there by having conversion kits available for it. This way, you can get a Glock in .45 acp if you want.. and still be able to practice with .22lr with a conversion kit.

El Gato
02-15-2010, 9:11 PM
we don't use XD's for range guns except the .45 tactical and the clients have to buy our ammo which is factory new ball... no issues....ever...the wife has run untold numbers through her guns...including a couple of thunder ranch courses...not a single fail of any kind ever...except for reloads...esp. swc bullets..round nose no problem...xd's don't like the shoulder on swc's...who knew?:rolleyes:...:eek:

SPE
02-15-2010, 9:24 PM
I read a lot and was pretty sure that I was going to buy an XD. However, both range XD's that I tried had some problems. The 9mm failed to fire 10 of the 50 round range ammo. I had to eject the unfired rounds and that was not too simple either as they would get stuck as I was trying to eject them. I was thinking..."man, I am glad nobody is shooting at me right now!!" It was determined that the firing pin was week and a new XD fired the 10 rounds without a problem. I then got a Glock 19 and an M&P 9m and each fired 50 rounds without a problem. The XD-40 had a problem with two rounds out of the 50 round bag. Would not fire them to save it's life. I loaded each several times and then had to eject them. I saved the rounds for my next gun - an .40 M&P. The 2 problem rounds and a new bag of 50 fired flawlessly.

Now I know that the XD's could have a ton of rounds fired and are in need of maintenance, BUT I am now done wanting an XD. My confidence in them is lost and I will not be able to get this experience out of my head. I know that logic tells me to give Springfield some more chances, but confidence is a tough thing to regain.
Just thinking out loud.

That's unfortunate.

Over 3,000 rounds through my XD 40 Tactical, and not a single failure to fire. What you experienced is a maintenance issue, not a gun issue.

That sounds like the striker channel in the slide hadn't been cleaned for thousands of rounds, which is common for a range gun or poorly maintained gun. Gunk builds up in the slide and it can cause light primer strikes. In 5 minutes of cleaning with a few q-tips it would probably shoot fine, unless the striker is damaged.

Check out XDTalk.com and share your story and I guarantee you'll get feedback to confirm that it's not the XD's fault.

HCz
02-15-2010, 9:30 PM
As mentioned earlier, range rentals tend to get abused alot. Maybe you can try another range and rent theirs. My experience with XDs has been good, although I don't own one.

Scratch705
02-15-2010, 9:35 PM
this is probably why the glocks never usually have issues even as range gun, they are built to withstand this kind of neglect/abuse...

evolixsurf
02-15-2010, 9:41 PM
This hasnt FTF or FTE once for me... I highly recomend it. M&P FS .40
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x100/evolixsurf/DSCN8482.jpg

vta
02-15-2010, 9:43 PM
i have 2 XDs and they are great. You on the other hand, probably should just skip it altogether given the bad experience. Last thing you need is that wearing on your mind while it sits in your night stand wondering if its gonna get you killed. Plenty of other reliable guns out there.

ChrisTKHarris
02-15-2010, 9:52 PM
I'm sorry but you can't judge a gun strictly on a range experience. Rental guns are not properly maintained and they see tons of abuse. Sure it'd be one thing if you shot a buddy's gun, but it's another to use a "public" gun that has seen better days.

Most gun range guns are pretty janky.

SJgunguy24
02-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Years ago when I still shopped at Target Masters, one of the long time employees told me the only guns that didn't break were the Ruger semi autos.

They never cleaned any of them execpt once a week, some almost never. Range guns are there to make money, if a bullet flies out the muzzle and somebody paid to shoot that. then they don't care.

RolinThundr
02-16-2010, 12:04 AM
...who knows how long some ranges go without properly cleaning their firearms...consider the ammunition you're shooting, range reloads aren't the greatest either...

^ This.

BadIndianSwamp, I've had an XD40 for years and IIRC the only FTE/FTF or other problems have all been with reloads I purchased. I have not had any problems with factory new ammunition. I have a bad habit of shooting a hundred rounds or so and then putting it away for a month or two, then shooting another hundred rounds and putting it away again, without cleaning it for months, and still no problems except with reloads. I have also rented XDs at ranges that were so poorly maintained and dirty I would have done better throwing the gun at the target. I would try borrowing an XD from a friend and using factory new ammunition before turning down the XD.

Bedlam
02-16-2010, 1:02 AM
I wont try to sell you on an XD if you don't feel 100% secure with it don't buy it I love my glock and the XD after all is just springfields take on a glock pistol just like the M&P and Steyr M40 and S40 are all their versions of a glock style pistol (Striker fired polymer frame articulated trigger safety) They are all good guns but if you dont like the XD just go to something else.

1_Grendel
02-16-2010, 2:18 PM
i would recommend not judging a manufactures guns dependability or accuracy by your experience with a range gun. Range guns are not generally well kept. Focus more on how the weapon feels, the weight, the balance, the cool factor, etc…
I don’t have an XD but I did try a few before I bought my G26. I had my money ready and my brother-in-law & his buddies (Sheriff Deputies) talk me out of getting the XD. They all carried Glocks and swore by them. The deciding factor was I could get a LEO discount on the Glock (its good to have friends). Money savings ended up being the key motivating factor.
I still think I will get a XD some day but at this time I have other guns higher on my wish list.

Rekrab
02-16-2010, 2:24 PM
Actually Grendel, I would.

If a gun can put up with the abuse a range is going to put it through, I'm sure as heck going to consider buying one!

Greg-Dawg
02-16-2010, 3:41 PM
It's always good to try before you buy. Bye, bye XD.

walter
02-16-2010, 4:56 PM
i had an xd, now i got a glock. i buy and sell guns all the time. but i always need to have atleast one glock 9mm, always

racky
02-16-2010, 5:30 PM
i confess. my usp had like 4 stovepipes in it's lifetime. i blame limpwrist.

tonelar
02-16-2010, 5:56 PM
look for a CPO Sig 228, 226 or 229,

and don't look back.

RogueSniper
02-16-2010, 7:59 PM
Actually Grendel, I would.

If a gun can put up with the abuse a range is going to put it through, I'm sure as heck going to consider buying one!

^This. I agree with Rekrab. Any gun that can take the Range abuse and still feed and function properly is a keeper.

look for a CPO Sig 228, 226 or 229, and don't look back.

^ And This. My SIG 226 will tear through any type of ammo - reloads, foreign crap, any bullet shape - and beg for more.

I've put thousands of rounds of .40s and 9mm through my Glock. The only FTF or FTE was from my reloads (OAL out of spec, weird bullet shape, bad (weak/over) load. However, it will absolutely, positively, feed and fire every single time I use Factory Ammo. That's the thing, too, did you shoot Range Reloads exclusively? If I were to bet my life on a gun, it better have the right ammo.

Gryff
02-16-2010, 8:29 PM
I have 20,000 rounds fired across three XDs (two 9mm and one .45acp). I've had exactly one failure to fire, and three failures to extract. I am more-than-willing to trust my life to an XD.

(Also keep in mind that I believe in taking care of my guns. I'll never go more than 300-400 rounds without a cleaning. Ranges often never clean their guns.)