View Full Version : IDPA and USPSA

02-14-2010, 3:16 PM
Has anyone participated in either of these types of matches? What are they like for ladies and/or newbies starting out. Thanks.

02-14-2010, 3:39 PM
Around the Sacramento area, these guys http://www.sdps-idpa.org/ have a "new shooter course" that is really good. They hold it at Sacvalley Shooting Center.

OOPS, sorry I didn't notice this was in the Ladies forum.. BUT yes they are female shooter/new shooter friendly!

02-14-2010, 5:52 PM
I've just started shooting IDPA with the ISI Shootists in Piru. It is great fun! Everyone has been friendly, helpful and very patient as I climb the learning curve. :)

Don't be shy! Give it a shot. (sorry, I couldn't help the pun!)

02-14-2010, 9:18 PM
I've just started shooting IDPA with the ISI Shootists in Piru. It is great fun! Everyone has been friendly, helpful and very patient as I climb the learning curve. :)

Yellow Pelican pistol case, by chance?

02-14-2010, 9:25 PM
What gave me away? Well, sometimes I do carry around a black case. ;)

02-14-2010, 11:29 PM
What gave me away? Well, sometimes I do carry around a black case. ;)

I was just making a wild guess! We were on the same stage a couple of times. I know most of the regulars there and I didn't recognize you. I should have introduced myself.

We were on stage 1 together (Dan was the RO, with his little girl administering first aid to her leg).

02-15-2010, 9:28 AM
I just did the IDPA New Shooter Clinic with the SDPS (sacramento defensive pistol shooters) and from a woman's perspective, I think it was awesome! :) Out of the 12 people there, I was the only female, but that didn't matter. Everyone shoots, no special treatment, and it's tons of fun! And yeah, I am really new to shooting. I've only done static shooting, and have only gone to the range at the most, 12-15 times, so I was basically as new as they come... I did take a couple of individual lessons prior to going so I had a general idea of a few of the basics-proper grip, proper stance, learning how to focus on my front sight, etc. Having gone through that, my husband and I went to the clinic and it was nice having a foundation to draw from. I look forward to shooting a match someday, but want more practice before I do! :)

I hope you venture into it, you'll LOVE it!

02-15-2010, 10:10 PM
I look forward to going one of these days... I dunno about u other ladies but I'm pretty much the only women I know that likes shooting. It really is a male dominated sport, I realized that at the last volunteer thing I did... Haha being the only girl sux haha... Guess I just gotta get outta that whole mindset and move past it... Enjoy what I like and keep learning as much as I can! Thanks for the help.

02-16-2010, 10:57 AM
My Mom and I (we let my Dad tag along too :) ) shoot IDPA- been to a few steel matches too (IPSC I think). I got hooked from the first IDPA match! All the guys are really welcoming and helpful. They're always offering advice that I welcome since I'm fairly new at it too. I consistently see ladies at every match I've been to down here in San Diego, so I don't feel so much like the odd guy out. Go for it-don't be shy! You might find a nice 'counterpart' at the range! never know!

As for other female shooters, I only have one friend that likes to shoot, besides my sister (who doesn't live in town anyway). Maybe you could 'convert' someone you already know? I'm working on a few!

02-16-2010, 11:02 AM
forgot to add...

Don't worry about it being a 'match' or 'competition' around here nobody cares if your slow, or miss a few, or get hung up on something. They are just glad that your there and having fun. That's all that really matters. Go have fun! what are you waiting for???

04-14-2010, 6:48 PM
O... I wanted to share my experience last Friday at the Range, in Fresno... It was my first IDPA match and I was sooo nervous but really I picked up the courage to go from all of you... There were about 40 people there and they had 5 stages...Believe it or not there were five women there and all of them very nice... Knowledgeable and full of insight on moves and tips. If you guys hear of another clinic like NorCalMama mentioned please pm me... thanks

04-16-2010, 2:58 PM
Olive, you're at the other end of my town, but Richmond Rod & Gun also has a nice set up for action pistol. If you ever look at their web site, you'll see that they have a good number of women participating.

Don't feel alone because you like the shooting sports -- believe me, you have company :)

04-16-2010, 4:18 PM
The Tuesday Action Shooting Club has matches at Chabot and has always been beginner friendly and co-ed.
take care

02-05-2011, 9:12 PM
I'm looking for a IDPA New Shooter Clinic in Orange County, anyone know of one?

02-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Funny, older thread back to life. It's been a whole year since I originally Posted. I can't believe how much I've learned.

Genn, I saw something in the training section on a free uspsa training day in norco. Check it out!

BTW!!! Have fun!