PDA

View Full Version : Any non-range places to shoot near san jose?

theseacow
01-17-2006, 10:15 PM
I am looking for places that are closer than panoche hills. It gets pretty old having to drive all the way out to panoche just to have fun shooting. The ranges near here (los altos/metcalf) just dont do it for me.

M1A Rifleman
01-18-2006, 9:16 AM
Now days, with the exception of BLM or National Forest Lands, shooting on areas that are not designated target range areas means you are shooting on private lands or lands owned by the City/County/State, which will get you a ticket, guns confiscated, and or prosecution - assuming you don't have permission. ;)

M1A Rifleman
01-18-2006, 2:13 PM
Within 20 minutes of San Jose, there are areas of privately owned land on which you can legally shoot. You just have to have the right friends

Hey there friend, buddy, pal. :D

theseacow
01-18-2006, 7:00 PM
so who has land like this and wants a new friend?

Clodbuster
01-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Lots and lots of friends.
And if they have squirrel or rodent problems, hey, what are friends for? :D

Clod

so who has land like this and wants a new friend?

Shoot-it
01-19-2006, 12:08 AM
:rolleyes: ...... you see the pic thats me in my jeep private land river bottom i am glad i stayed on the farm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................................ ...Thats the problem get a good job live in the city then were in the hell are you going too shoot at...............................

sohijiro
01-19-2006, 3:16 PM
i went to panoche once. it was well worth the drive but damn its hard to do all the time., im getting really sick of ranges, theres no flexibity, no wind really, no unknown distance shots. i really want to go shoot out in blm land, but everytime im there i feel like a ranger is gonna pop out and give me **** for no reason.

Rascal
01-19-2006, 6:11 PM
I go to Panoche Hills all the time. I have never had a Ranger hassle me, ever.
Great place, and close to me.:D

Shoot-it
01-22-2006, 12:21 AM
I go to Panoche Hills all the time. I have never had a Ranger hassle me, ever.
Great place, and close to me.:D

I've been there too never seen a ranger either i have been told there is wild pigs in the back where the water is.Little panoche reservor is what they call it.

theseacow
01-22-2006, 2:08 PM
I've been there too never seen a ranger either i have been told there is wild pigs in the back where the water is.Little panoche reservor is what they call it.

there are ZERO pigs there. I've looked. Too many people, not enough food or cover.

TonyM
01-22-2006, 2:19 PM
there are ZERO pigs there. I've looked. Too many people, not enough food or cover.

Last time I was there I saw a skeleton of what might have been a pig... definately not a human, dog, or coyote.

Rascal
01-22-2006, 3:19 PM
The only time pigs are in Panoche is when they are traveling through to some other place or when the local farmers start shooting them and they move around, but there isn't enough food or shelter to keep on on BLM land.
I don't know about too many people. Most times I go, I'd be lucky to see one person, much less a whole bunch of people.

ADDICTEDto.223LOWERS
01-23-2006, 1:25 PM
so where is this panoche hill you all are talkin about... can i get directions from the bay area?:D

Rascal
01-23-2006, 1:36 PM
so where is this panoche hill you all are talkin about... can i get directions from the bay area?:D

Here you go.

http://www.ca.blm.gov/hollister/panoche_tumeys.html

Creeping Incrementalism
01-23-2006, 9:19 PM
So is the Panoche place the closest public land for target shooting to the Bay Area? (I live in Contra Costa). Or would Mendocino Nat'l Forest be better?

Me and my friend just went down to the Palm Springs area. For me the main daytime thing is to go shooting out in the desert, and on the drive down and back we were laughing about the name of this place, how it sounds like a dirty word in Spanish. I had no idea it was a good shooting spot.

RW Dunn
02-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Been there over 2500 times over 20 years shooting,Hunting and other things never had any problems.Scout out the back areas far and away of the main road and have a blast.:D Alot of good areas past clear creek,San benito mtn,above new idria and other little spots in the area.just got to look for that special shooting hide away.

otteray
02-18-2006, 4:24 PM
Good news: We own 10 acres in the Santa Cruz mountains, where shooting is legal.

Bad news: For reasons of noise pollution, I've stopped shooting anything larger than .22s. I used to shoot both shotgun and .45 at home, but the neighbors can hear it, and I chose to not annoy them.

Also, for high-powered rifles, it would take considerable effort to find a good enough backstop in this very hilly terrain, which still has a straight line-of-sight with no trees in the way. 25 yards is easy and I had that set up; everything longer would require several hours with chainsaws and shovels to set up.

If you shootCB Longs in your 22 rifle, it will even be quiter. I know a guy that shoots 45-70 light squib loads- very quiet.
Want me to drive up from Westside Santa Cruz and bring some CB Longs?:D
Until last year, I went dove hunting just below the University by Hwy 1 and Western Drive. But a new neigbor moved in and had a tizzy fit, yelling at me for hurting the poor little birdies, so we had to cut it out or the land leaser (rancher) might lose his lease if she made a big stink. Bummer

82a1
02-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Why oh why are silencers (moderators) illegal in California, and nearly impossible to get in the rest of the US? In many other countries (England, New Zealand) they are either strongly recommended or even mandatory, to cut down on noise pollution. I would love to shoot in the backyard with a silencer, and then without ear protection, and without any chance of annoying the neighbors.

That's because our idiot politicians think that only criminals use silencers to get away with crimes. I totally agree with you that silencers should be legal so noise problems can be alleviated.

BTW, is it okay if I shoot my .50 BMG in your backyard? I'm sure your neighbors won't mind. j/k :D

Shoot-it
02-18-2006, 11:50 PM
New Idria ghost town drive through it at night its spooky.I haven't been their in years must be nice up in there right now.

thats all blm in the back of it right .