PDA

View Full Version : BCG out of an AR, still considered a firearm?

pacrimguru
02-14-2010, 12:00 PM
forgive me if this has been asked a million times already, but if you take the bcg out of an AR, is it still considered a center fire firearm? i wouldn't think so, but what does the law say about this?

wildhawker
02-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Redacted for clarity, please see Bill's comments below.

pacrimguru
02-14-2010, 12:05 PM
nice, thanks for the info!

bwiese
02-14-2010, 12:05 PM
[Brandon please edit your post above.]

It would certainly still be considered a firearm, since it has a serialized receiver.

And if it were an AW, it would most likely not remove AW status - since it's just a semiauto centerfire rifle that happens to be missing a part - that is, a broken AW, not a non-AW. There indeed was a case in LA with a dude (don't have all details) where he pulled the BCG out of his unreg'd FAL clone AW. He was still popped/convicted for AW charges...

Most likely, a "Broken AW == AW" to a judge - if characteristic features present unless intentionally rendered to operataional and nonsemiauto or rimfire.

However, an otherwise-AW functional but having certain features intentionally removed or modified and still operational would not be an AW - i.e, removed gas piston and closed gas port on a FAL clone, or removed gas tube and blocked gas port on an AR, turning both these into nonsemiauto rifles.

B Strong
02-14-2010, 12:08 PM
It would certainly still be considered a firearm, since it has a serialized receiver.

And if it's an AW, it would likely not remove AW status - since it's just a semiauto centerfire rifle that happens to be missing a part - that is, a broken rifle.

There was a case in LA with a dude (don't have all details) where he pulled the BCG out of his unreg'd FAL (clone?) AW. He was still popped/convicted for AW charges - unsure if he had a Cat 1 or Cat 3 gun though.

Most likely, a "Broken AW == AW" to a judge.

However, an otherwise-AW functional but having certain features intentionally removed or modified and still operational would not be an AW - i.e, removed gas piston and closed gas port on a FAL clone, or removed gas tube and blocked gas port on an AR, turning both these into nonsemiauto rifles.

IIRC the rifle in question was an R-R named model.

Ah, the good-old-days pre GCA, when an NFA weapon that was dewat'd or disassembled wasn't an NFA weapon.

bwiese
02-14-2010, 12:15 PM
IIRC the rifle in question was an R-R named model.

No, I'm fairly confident it was an (Imbel) FAL clone brought to CA from AZ
(with questions about its acquisition path as well...)

Thus AW status would be determined solely by features/configuration.