PDA

View Full Version : Untrue Allegations.

artherd
02-13-2010, 7:00 PM
A news article is circulating alleging that I "Impersonated an Officer". I have not been charged with a crime. These allegations are untrue, and I expect to have my good name, and reputation, fully restored in short order. In the interim, I have determined that it is in the best interest of Calguns.net, and The Calguns Foundation, that I immediately, and temporarily, resign from my positions with both entities. I have assembled a legal team that is in the process of investigating identity theft and defamation attempts.

Based on advice from my attorneys, I am unable to make further comments or statements at this time.

-Ben.

Please contact Art Chambers at:
Law offices of Art Chambers (415)-775-2144"

UPDATE 03-16-2010 : All charges dismissed.

UPDATE 05-21-2010 : Benjamin Philip Cannon found Factually Innocent of all charges in separate hearing.

It's nice to be able to talk about this - but I am only going to comment so much as we now have pending litigation against those involved.

The facts so far.

I was arrested and my house raided for allegedly pulling someone over with a red light and badge somewhere in or near Santa Rosa. None of what was found at the scene of the alleged crime was found in my possession - yet prosecution commenced.

Trouble is I was 100 miles away in Sacramento that entire day with multiple witnesses, Cellphone GPS records, phone calls, and text messages, and signed credit charge receipts to prove it.

The story gets more interesting from here, as someone contacted many of my peers with a slam piece on me 5 days prior to the alleged incident "The typical situation is a single woman driving at night on a lonely stretch of road…" I find that incredibly interesting, especially since several hundred people know I am an Engineering Contractor and member of the ASCE (lawfully required to have amber strobes.) An FCC Technician's license (ham radio = 'police scanner' and PA.) and as for the handcuffs? http://www.handcuffgadgetinsurance.co.uk/images/lp/handcuffs.gif

The story gets more interesting from here, there will be some interesting cases filed in the days and weeks ahead, we are already pursuing a Finding of Factual Innocence and Expungement, as well as other remedy.

cntrolsguy
02-13-2010, 7:03 PM
Go Get em and hurry back!

pitchbaby
02-13-2010, 7:06 PM
SUCK!!! In the short time I have been here, I have come to respect you Art.... both on the forums, and in the PM's. I trust that whatever it is, you are in the right. Hope to see you back soon!

SJgunguy24
02-13-2010, 7:08 PM
Good luck Ben.

Fate
02-13-2010, 7:08 PM
Don't you just hate it when they kiss and tell? ;)

Good luck!
Beat them with your night stick and hurt them real, real bad...
-(ZZ Top)

PatriotnMore
02-13-2010, 7:09 PM
Although this is the first I have heard of the accusation, I am glad we are hearing from you before the accusation/story.

Here is hoping you clear your good name quickly, so you can get back to important issues.

CSACANNONEER
02-13-2010, 7:11 PM
Good luck and let us know if/how we can help!

ohsmily
02-13-2010, 7:12 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/north_bay&id=7276282

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20100213/ARTICLES/100219748/1033?tc=ar

http://www.sonomanews.com/articles/2010/02/12/news/doc4b760c2ab0c95624548835.txt

I hope you prevail.

To everyone. Let the investigation and facts play out. Be objective. Don't be swayed by the media.

Big Jake
02-13-2010, 7:12 PM
Good luck and come back soon!

PRKArms
02-13-2010, 7:15 PM
The news story in question:

Man arrested after impersonating police officer, pulling over driver

Published: Saturday, February 13, 2010 at 10:05 a.m.
Last Modified: Saturday, February 13, 2010 at 10:05 a.m.
A 29-year-old Petaluma man was arrested this week for impersonating a police officer after he allegedly pulled over a female driver just east of Sonoma and asked for her identification.

#forumnumcom h6 {width:250px;float:left;margin:18px 10px 0 0;padding:10px 0 15px;border-bottom:none;border-top:9px solid #888}
The victim said she was traveling westbound on Napa Road on Feb. 2 when the man, later identified by police as Benjamin Philip Cannon, signaled her to stop. She said the man's car displayed a red light.
She told Sheriff's deputies that the man, who was wearing plain clothes, quickly flashed what appeared to be a badge and asked for ID.
Sheriff's officials said the victim felt uncomfortable about the encounter and asked that a marked patrol car respond to the scene. She told deputies that the man became uncomfortable, returned to his vehicle and drove away.
The victim then contacted the Sheriff's Office, whose violent crimes investigation unit “developed” Cannon as a possible suspect, according to a Sheriff's Office statement.
The victim positively identified Cannon as the suspect and Sheriff's detectives initiated surveillance. After detectives located him, he was arrested at his home on the 1100 block of East Sunnyslope Road.
After obtaining a search warrant, detectives searched his residence and car, a silver 2001 BMW. Inside the BMW, detectives found a police scanner, strobe light, handcuffs and a siren.
He was arrested for impersonating a police officer and false imprisonment and booked in Sonoma County Jail. His bail was set at $10,000.
The Sheriff's Office statement said the victim's request for a marked police car “may have deterred the suspect and prevented a more serious incident."
Lt. Scott Dunn said that drivers who are stopped by unmarked vehicles displaying emergency lights should proceed with caution but acknowledge the vehicle "perhaps by signaling out the window.”
“Proceed to a safe location, perhaps to a firehouse, a police station if you know where one is or an occupied gas station,” Dunn said, adding that it may very well be a Sheriff’s detective conducting a traffic stop.
“If you don’t acknowledge it, then we start to consider that perhaps it’s a pursuit,” he said.
For reasons of law enforcement security, Dunn would not reveal the types of unmarked vehicles used by Sheriff’s detectives. But he said it’s unlikely such vehicles would be “high end” sports cars.
Also, Dunn said the state vehicle code has a number of strict regulations that outline what type of emergency lights can be used by law enforcement agencies and other first responders.
He said that in California, all emergency vehicles are mandated to have a steady red light in conjunction with whatever other color lights are used. The state vehicle code also mandates that only law enforcement vehicles can use a blue light.
Dash-mounted lights are not uncommon but the single light on the roof of the car is unlikely. “Personally, I don’t know of any agency that uses a single, Kojak-type light on the roof,” he said.
Sheriff's officials ask that anyone who may have encountered a similar situation or anyone with information about this case please contact Detective James Naugle at (707) 565-2185.
— Martin Espinoza, The Press Democrat

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20100213/ARTICLES/100219748?Title=Man-arrested-after-impersonating-police-officer-pulling-over-driver

I can't imagine Ben would get caught up in anything like what they claim he did.

Roadrunner
02-13-2010, 7:33 PM
Ok, I'm not going to be judgmental, but let's see, a red light, siren, handcuffs, badge, and pulling someone over. The alleged victim identified the person she believes pulled her over. What part of that is not true?

cpsca
02-13-2010, 7:36 PM
Ok, I'm not going to be judgmental, but let's see, a red light, siren, handcuffs, badge, and pulling someone over. The alleged victim identified the person she believes pulled her over. What part of that is not true?

I don't post here often, but if there is one thing that I've learned it's that things are NEVER as they appear. I wouldn't be too hasty to make ANY type of judgement.

Alaric
02-13-2010, 7:37 PM
This is a troubling development that I vehemently hope is not politically or otherwise illegitimately motivated. Ben, I wish you all the luck in clearing any false allegations against you.

I am curious how these items allegedly wound up in your car: police scanner, strobe light, handcuffs and a siren - according to the media reports. I know you can't and won't comment on that while your prosecution is pending, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

lumwilliam
02-13-2010, 7:39 PM
I was just about ready to condem Artherd, then I read:

the Sheriff's Office...violent crimes investigation unit “developed” Cannon as a possible suspect

What the heck does that mean? Sounds like they had been gunning for him! Whatever is happening, it's scary!

G17GUY
02-13-2010, 7:43 PM

the Sheriff's Office...violent crimes investigation unit “developed” Cannon as a possible suspect

What the heck does that mean? Sounds like they had been gunning for him! Whatever is happening, it's scary!

That is wierd.

Kestryll
02-13-2010, 7:43 PM

Please remember, Ben can not answer questions nor give any information out.
This is EXACTLY the same advice we all give members who post about firearms cases and it applies here as well.

At this point speculation serves no real purpose so let's keep it to a minimum.

I will say this however, I've seen the car in question personally and when I saw it the only red lights on that car were brake lights. I have every reason to believe that Ben is innocent of the charges described.

I know this will be a topic people will want to discuss and that's fine, let's just remember that questions can't be answered and speculation is exactly that.

elrcastor
02-13-2010, 7:44 PM
best of luck in this!!!

NorCalMama
02-13-2010, 7:45 PM

Be VERY careful to jump to conclusions... I just watched a Dr Phil episode where two separate women were raped by a black male. They identified who they were POSITIVE was the perp. In fact, one of the women positively identified the same man in a photo and in a police line up.
Those men spent many years in prison for the crime until the day and age of DNA evidence came about. Once they took samples, it was discovered that in spite of something as credible and persuasive as the witness/victim testimony, both men were found innocent and released from prison. Interestingly enough, one of the two women found her real attacker and found that he was nearly identical to the man she wrongly accused.

Things may not always be as they seem. Ultimately, this could EASILY be a false ID on the part of the woman... let this play out and try to remain neutral until ample evidence comes out.

Alaric
02-13-2010, 7:45 PM

"Developing" a suspect is a common term used in the practice of criminal justice when an investigation points to a particular suspect. No TFH here, this is to be expected terminology.

One other note, having grown up in the Sonoma County area. This region has a long history of cops and fake cops pulling over people (particularly lone females) and assaulting them. The police are particularly attuned to this crime and allegations of it. I recall female family members "training" one another on how to deal with being pulled over there back 15-20 years ago.

B Strong
02-13-2010, 7:49 PM
Ben, I hope everything comes out OK for you.

leelaw
02-13-2010, 7:49 PM

It does stand out to me, but it could be taken as "let's run the description across our database of people we've had contact with in the past" either by partial license plate match, physical description, vehicle make/model, etc.

I doubt it's something like "let's throw our dart against the picture board of Slick-Willies-we-haven't-been-able-to-nail-yet and see who we go bugger."

The presence of a strobe is interesting, but could easily be a strobing flashlight and they're being meek with the details. The siren (Ben - you carrying around a rape alert again? :D ) is another oddity. Handcuffs and radio scanner ("police scanner" is a misnomer, since it's rare to find one tha tis limited to police frequencies) are non-issues, but add to the totality of the circumstances in certain situations.

paladin4415
02-13-2010, 7:51 PM

You would probably be surprised, but a lot of it may not be true. Let's all try to sit back and see how this plays out without a lot of guessing on our part.

Kestryll
02-13-2010, 7:54 PM
Okay, I've figured it out.

The strobe and the siren were for a rave Ben was throwing, gotta have the lights and noisemakers for the dancing.
The radio scanner was to make sure they could scatter before johnny law showed up to break up the party.
The handcuff, well one of the DJs was cute and a bit wild so...

I'm just guessing here so remember, none of this is to be taken as factual or even rational.

aplinker
02-13-2010, 7:56 PM
There's no mention of tell-tale donut boxes or paraphernalia, either, so I'm quite certain he's innocent.

I'll be hoping this all gets taken care of quickly and easily.

It does stand out to me, but it could be taken as "let's run the description across our database of people we've had contact with in the past" either by partial license plate match, physical description, vehicle make/model, etc.

I doubt it's something like "let's throw our dart against the picture board of Slick-Willies-we-haven't-been-able-to-nail-yet and see who we go bugger."

The presence of a strobe is interesting, but could easily be a strobing flashlight and they're being meek with the details. The siren (Ben - you carrying around a rape alert again? :D ) is another oddity. Handcuffs and radio scanner ("police scanner" is a misnomer, since it's rare to find one tha tis limited to police frequencies) are non-issues, but add to the totality of the circumstances in certain situations.

Neuvik
02-13-2010, 8:02 PM
Heck I have all that stuff....and different color filters for the lights....(Harbor freight rocks!)

But this certainly is a good way to quash a local advocate of the 2nd Amendment.

djbooya
02-13-2010, 8:03 PM
Be VERY careful to jump to conclusions... I just watched a Dr Phil episode where two separate women were raped by a black male. They identified who they were POSITIVE was the perp. In fact, one of the women positively identified the same man in a photo and in a police line up.
Those men spent many years in prison for the crime until the day and age of DNA evidence came about. Once they took samples, it was discovered that in spite of something as credible and persuasive as the witness/victim testimony, both men were found innocent and released from prison. Interestingly enough, one of the two women found her real attacker and found that he was nearly identical to the man she wrongly accused.

Things may not always be as they seem. Ultimately, this could EASILY be a false ID on the part of the woman... let this play out and try to remain neutral until ample evidence comes out.

And the issues with Eyewitness Testimony:

http://agora.stanford.edu/sjls/Issue%20One/fisher&tversky.htm

leelaw
02-13-2010, 8:03 PM
Heck I have all that stuff....and different color filters for the lights....(Harbor freight rocks!)

But this certainly is a good way to quash a local advocate of the 2nd Amendment.

Somehow I doubt a 2A-quashing conspiracy here.

BKinzey
02-13-2010, 8:06 PM
Looks bad, but then......

I've been reading lately how bad eyewitnesses can be. Lots of mistakes on the witnesses part and lots of mistakes on how suspects are, or aren't, presented.

Witness didn't identify the car.

No badge found.

Handcuffs? So what?

Siren. I have one of those. It's hooked up to my car alarm.

Looking below this post window I see others have hit this so I'm stopping here.

sammy
02-13-2010, 8:10 PM
I hope they get it cleared up quick. Good luck to you.

Alaric
02-13-2010, 8:12 PM

The strobe and the siren were for a rave Ben was throwing, gotta have the lights and noisemakers for the dancing.
The radio scanner was to make sure they could scatter before johnny law showed up to break up the party.

I'm just guessing here so remember, none of this is to be taken as factual or even rational.

Wow Kes, you are way more hooked into the rave scene than I would've thought. I'm having flashbacks to the early 90's. :eek:

hoffmang
Everyone should be comfortable that Ben has good legal representation. Of course this is not a CGF case, but I know we'll all be rooting for this to be over quickly so he can get back to his regularly scheduled volunteerism for the cause.

-Gene

pitchbaby

If this happened in the last 24 hours, then.... hell.... I'd buy this version of the story... LOL!!!

djbooya
02-13-2010, 8:22 PM
All this could be mistaken identity...could be this guy:
https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/CheckLicense/LicenseDetail.asp?LicNum=884900
who runs this:
http://www.cbc-construction.net/experience.html

Another Ben Cannon that lives in the 707...

and here I thought Ben Cannon was a pretty unique name..

ke6guj
02-13-2010, 8:25 PM
All this could be mistaken identity...could be this guy:
https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/CheckLicense/LicenseDetail.asp?LicNum=884900
who runs this:
http://www.cbc-construction.net/experience.html

Another Ben Cannon that lives in the 707...

and here I thought Ben Cannon was a pretty unique name..

Its the same Ben Cannon.

Previously, Mr. Cannon was the founder, President, & CEO of CBC Construction & Engineering, and Cannon Aerospace. As head of Cannon Aerospace, Mr. Cannon managed & produced, under government contracts, airborne night vision surveillance systems. He has been recognized by 3 governmental branches for his achievements in airborne sensor systems integration and realtime recording. At CBC, Cannon headed a Performance Bonded Prime contractor program and has been influential in several important California infrastructure projects. Prior to Cannon Aerospace, Mr. Cannon founded Cartesian Systems Internet, an ISP/NSP, in 1994.

Skidmark
02-13-2010, 8:26 PM
If some guy is running around impersonating a Police, let alone targeting and harassing women, I hope he's apprehended and convicted.

Beatone
02-13-2010, 8:35 PM
I wish you best in beating this accusation.

SteveH
02-13-2010, 8:35 PM
Assuming the charges are without merit, good luck.

Telperion
02-13-2010, 8:36 PM
Games the police and media can play:

police scanner = ham radio
strobe = fancy flashlight or bicycle signaling light with blinking LEDs
siren = bullhorn/announcer that has a siren button

Be careful accepting what is written at face value.

SteveH
02-13-2010, 8:37 PM
I don't post here often, but if there is one thing that I've learned it's that things are NEVER as they appear. I wouldn't be too hasty to make ANY type of judgement.

They are just as often exactly what they appear until we pay lawyers to muddy the waters.

gotgunz
02-13-2010, 8:38 PM
:popcorn:

IBTL !!!

bodger
02-13-2010, 8:39 PM
I'm glad there was no EBR involved in this.
Best of luck Ben.

audiophil2
02-13-2010, 8:39 PM
"Spallino said that detectives from the Violent Crimes Investigations Unit developed Cannon as a possible suspect. After the victim positively identified Cannon as the suspect, detectives began a surveillance of him. Cannon was located and arrested at his residence in the 1100 block of East Sunnyslope Road in Petaluma."

I don't understand the above portion of the news article. So VCIU got a description of Cannon, then somehow got a picture of him, then showed the picture to the "victim", then the "victim" positively ID's Cannon as the "perp", then VCIU monitors him for a few days and finally arrests him at his home?
I am completely confused on the chain of events from alleged "incident" to arrest. Quite a bit of time elapsed between incident and arrest.

Good luck Mr. Cannon.

SteveH
02-13-2010, 8:41 PM

"Developing" a suspect can be as simple as the victim providing a license plate number of the suspect vehicle and a physical description of the suspect. The police run the plate to obtain the RO, they run the RO for the physical description and if they match the police have "developed" a suspect. Its not some nefarious thing.

five.five-six
02-13-2010, 8:43 PM
The handcuff, well one of the DJs was cute and a bit wild so....

sigworthy

Roadrunner
02-13-2010, 8:45 PM
Ok people, let me make this clear, I'm not passing judgment on anyone. I was simply focusing on what the average reader would focus on. If all of these items were found at his house and he has a valid reason for them, I'm sure his attorney will flesh that all out and clear Ben's good name. The fact still remains though that according to the victim, someone pulled her over and she identified Ben, right wrong or otherwise. I know he can't say anything, nor should he. But, when he's able, it will certainly be an interesting story for him to regale us with. Agreed?

SteveH
02-13-2010, 8:45 PM

If he didnt do i then i dont care if he had the best scanner radio shack sells, the starky & hutch limited edition dash board mounted bubble gum strobe light and a collection of handcuffs. Those things are legal to own.

However if hope the person who did pull the woman over gets the book thown at him because i doubt she is the first or only victim.

HowardW56
02-13-2010, 8:50 PM

Hmmmm

Handcuffs and a cute DJ..... :rolleyes:

Sounds just kinky enough to be fun....

SteveH
02-13-2010, 8:50 PM
Possible defenses:

1. The woman is mistaken and the stuff in the car is perfectly legal to possess.

2. The woman is a liar and someone planted that stuff.

ke6guj
02-13-2010, 8:51 PM
Ok people, let me make this clear, I'm not passing judgment on anyone. I was simply focusing on what the average reader would focus on. If all of these items were found at his house and he has a valid reason for them, I'm sure his attorney will flesh that all out and clear Ben's good name. The fact still remains though that according to the victim, someone pulled her over and she identified Ben, right wrong or otherwise. I know he can't say anything, nor should he. But, when he's able, it will certainly be an interesting story for him to regale us with. Agreed?

that assumes that someone actually pulled her over. I do not know what Ben's personal life is like. It could all be a frame job from a disgruntled ex or something like that. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

five.five-six
02-13-2010, 8:55 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/north_bay&id=7276282

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20100213/ARTICLES/100219748/1033?tc=ar

http://www.sonomanews.com/articles/2010/02/12/news/doc4b760c2ab0c95624548835.txt

I hope you prevail.

To everyone. Let the investigation and facts play out. Be objective. Don't be swayed by the media.

wow, just read those...but only $10k bail for impersonating a police officer and false imprisonment??? they must not have much in the of evidence.

Cool Hand Luke
02-13-2010, 8:56 PM
Could this have any connection to the EPA detective situation?

C'mon I know some of you guys were thinking it.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/assets_c/2009/07/tinfoil-hat-thumb-180x180.jpg

leelaw
02-13-2010, 8:57 PM
wow, just read those...but only $10k bail for impersonating a police officer and false imprisonment??? they must not have much in the of evidence.

Bail is set by the county and is figured based on the crime charged.

SteveH
02-13-2010, 8:59 PM

As well as the likelyhood of the defendant appearing in court. If you have a job and an local address you get lower bail. Age and priors can play into it as well.

leelaw
02-13-2010, 8:59 PM
"Developing" a suspect can be as simple as the victim providing a license plate number of the suspect vehicle and a physical description of the suspect. The police run the plate to obtain the RO, they run the RO for the physical description and if they match the police have "developed" a suspect. Its not some nefarious thing.

Hence...

Roadrunner
02-13-2010, 9:00 PM
that assumes that someone actually pulled her over. I do not know what Ben's personal life is like. It could all be a frame job from a disgruntled ex or something like that. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Well, if it is, I hope they throw the book at her.

djbooya
02-13-2010, 9:00 PM
Possible defenses:

1. The woman is mistaken and the stuff in the car is perfectly legal to possess.

2. The woman is a liar and someone planted that stuff.

Regardless of what was in the car, the only thing the woman could have seen was the siren (audible/visual). She would have had no knowledge of handcuffs, police scanner, etc... so all that other stuff is m00t. Also, she claims there was a badge flashed, but none found.

five.five-six
02-13-2010, 9:03 PM

I understand that, but false imprisonment is basically kidnapping, if they had a strong case, I would expect remand... that's all

SteveH
02-13-2010, 9:04 PM
I understand that, but false imprisonment is basically kidnapping, if they had a strong case, I would expect remand... that's all

Hard to Remand prior to arraignment. If he was arrested on Thursday arraingment would be monday or Turesday in Many counties, particularly on presidents day weekend. I'm betting he hasnt been arraigned yet and the bail was assigned by the uniform bail schedule, not a judge.

gadjeep
02-13-2010, 9:08 PM
Have to admit, I went there immediately. Withholding all comment until further information is available. :TFH::TFH::TFH:

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/assets_c/2009/07/tinfoil-hat-thumb-180x180.jpg

five.five-six
02-13-2010, 9:10 PM
Hard to Remand prior to arraignment. If he was arrested on Thursday arraingment would be monday or Turesday in Many counties, particularly on presidents day weekend. I'm betting he hasnt been arraigned yet and the bail was assigned by the uniform bail schedule, not a judge.

ok, I see, but if they actually thought that a perp was capable of handcuffing and doing whatever comes next to some poor woman on the highway... and let that perp go for $10k, I would be surprised

pullnshoot25
02-13-2010, 9:14 PM
Son of a *****! This really blows, Ben. I know you will come out on top though.

I love the fact you are exercising your 5th Amendment rights :)

Alaric
02-13-2010, 9:17 PM
No one should be speculating on Mr. Cannon's innocence or guilt. We simply do not have the evidence to say based on the spotty information provided in media reports. We certainly don't have the right to play with the reputation of a good man who has done more for the 2nd Amendment in this state that most of us combined.

I would like to request for the mods to LOCK (but not close) this thread until such time as solid developments occur. Thank you.

SJgunguy24
02-13-2010, 9:18 PM

police scanner = ham radio Assualt Weapon=SKS
strobe = fancy flashlight or bicycle signaling light with blinking LEDs 1K rounds of ammo=2 value packs of 22LR
siren = bullhorn/announcer that has a siren button Wanna be Patriot=carrys copy of the constitution and owns a gun.

The media lies and we all know it.

NorCalMama
02-13-2010, 9:19 PM
No one should be speculating on Mr. Cannon's innocence or guilt. We simply do not have the evidence to say based on the spotty information provided in media reports. We certainly don't have the right to play with the reputation of a good man who has done more for the 2nd Amendment in this state that most of us combined.

I would like to request for the mods to LOCK (but not close) this thread until such time as solid developments occur. Thank you.

Interesting perspective... to me, it seems that he has tremendous support...

pullnshoot25
02-13-2010, 9:19 PM
Its the same Ben Cannon.

Ben Cannon is a badass!

BlackReef
02-13-2010, 9:21 PM
Ben Cannon is a real good guy, have worked with him on various projects in the past. Best of luck to him in this ordeal.

SteveH
02-13-2010, 9:21 PM
I'd like to see it stay open because its going to be facinating as a social experiment. Will the crowd fall on the side of justice or friendship when it comes down to brass tacks? Will we hope one of our own gets off on a technicality even if guilty? If it turns out to be mistaken identity will we be so happy for Ben that we forget there is some freak out there pulling over women for who knows what purposes? Our guy won, screw the victim?

I've seen it play out in my own family when my brother got arrested. But i think this crowd is more logical than my family.

My feelings are not at all conflicted. I hope Ben is truely innocent and at the same time I hope the person who did the crime, if one really occured, gets convicted.

Alaric
02-13-2010, 9:23 PM
Interesting perspective... to me, it seems that he has tremendous support...

I didn't say he didn't. The potential for harm to Mr. Cannon's defense is what has me concerned mostly. Nor is it our place to speculate on the pending litigation of one of our own (that has NOTHING to do with gun rights).

yellowfin
02-13-2010, 9:26 PM
The first question that popped into my head is whether the accuser is simply some stooge for the Bradys, LCAV, et al. They're not above it.

SteveH
02-13-2010, 9:28 PM
The first question that popped into my head is whether the accuser is simply some stooge for the Bradys, LCAV, et al. They're not above it.

That would be HUGE but anything is possible.

domeshotjuan2
02-13-2010, 9:34 PM
false imprisonment? huh, does that mean when an officer pulls me over for no reason i can write a complaint and sue for false imprisonment. cause if thats the case i'de be rich. on another note i hope your acquited a.s.a.p. if your not involved.

scootergmc
02-13-2010, 9:35 PM
Wrong forum... :whistling::laugh:

Seriously though, it's 2130 hours, and the drunk posters are going to see this in about an hour (no offense to those of you who are drunk already) and it will be derailed all to hell. I agree, the announcement should be locked and/or stickied and let people discuss rational (ok ok- this is the internet) possibilities/outcomes/what-they-really-think-they-know-happened scenarios in another thread.

Carry on!

7x57
02-13-2010, 9:41 PM

But it's just not their style, and not so easy for them to set up anyway. If I had to invent a tinfoil-hat theory, it would be disgruntled LE. But I don't believe any of that, nor do I believe Ben did anything wrong.

7x57

Lone_Gunman
02-13-2010, 9:53 PM
Well crap. This feels like a kick in the gut. Wondering how it will all play out.

Hopi
02-13-2010, 9:54 PM
I support Ben and have faith in his word.

leelaw
02-13-2010, 10:02 PM
I didn't say he didn't. The potential for harm to Mr. Cannon's defense is what has me concerned mostly. Nor is it our place to speculate on the pending litigation of one of our own (that has NOTHING to do with gun rights).

So... Ben posts this here to notify everyone of both the charges, as well as the ramifications it will have on the operation of CGN and CGF, and then follows his own advice and withdraws from the discussion.

You want to silence the discussion which is a combination of questions, clarifications, and speculations, because it could do... what?

Unless someone is going to post "I was there and I saw it all, too, and I'm gonna tell the police that it was Mr. Cannon because I know, and here's the Youtube video of it all!" what harm is being done?

It sure seems like a friend can't be discussed, but a friend of a friend (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=267601) can be lynch mobbed.

I'm seeing a groundswell of support here for Ben.

steadyrock
02-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Based upon my knowledge of Ben, I have no reason to believe these claims will be substantiated. I look forward to him clearing his name, and resuming the fight with us.

WarEagle
02-13-2010, 10:10 PM
If, for some reason, the police had reason to search my car this very instant they would find...

A handheld HAM radio, which I always carry, that can be used as a police scanner.

A Blackhawk flashlight that has a strobe feature.

A keychain on my mail key that I got at some electronics convention that has a flashing red light on it.

I'm just saying... things are not always what they appear (or the media makes them out to be).

caduckgunner
02-13-2010, 10:13 PM
IBBWO

Good luck

Soldier415
02-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Saw this news story earlier and thought it must be a coincidence. I have known Ben for years and the allegations do not match the man. From pioneering the Milpitas Lowers buy to impersonating a cop?

Doesnt ring true to me.

The key thing to remember here is Innocent until proven guilty

JERK
02-13-2010, 10:19 PM
Good luck.

JDoe
02-13-2010, 10:20 PM
I don't know Ben but based solely on the so called evidence and the apparent bias of the police, if the police are being accurately quoted, it looks like there is reason to believe that the allegations against Ben will prove to be untrue.

Matt C
02-13-2010, 10:28 PM
IBBWO

Good luck

NO comment.

WokMaster1
02-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Best of luck, Ben.

hoffmang
02-13-2010, 10:30 PM
NO comment.

BWO serves as an excellent reminder that many people are charged with many things that aren't always accurate or correct.

-Gene

Matt C
02-13-2010, 10:33 PM
BWO serves as an excellent reminder that many people are charged with many things that aren't always accurate or correct.

-Gene

Very true.

turbosbox
02-13-2010, 10:39 PM
No Aw's, or even a baton in the story. That was pretty anticlimactic. No pictures of the female? This thread is useless without pictures.

Bad jokes aside.
I'm glad we don't have to publicly state our certainty of his innocence or guilt based on what we know. I would not like to be dumping on an innocent guy, nor would I want to be part of a groundswell of support for someone who did something he shouldn't have.

I think it's good they have a thread on the matter and let people voice their thoughts.

BroncoBob
02-13-2010, 10:42 PM
I hope all works out OK for Ben.

SimpleCountryActuary
02-13-2010, 10:44 PM
There's no mention of tell-tale donut boxes or paraphernalia, either, so I'm quite certain he's innocent.

The lesson is to avoid powdered donuts as they lead to tell-tale fingerprints.

Seriously, I wish the best for Ben.

Best!

ivanimal
02-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Good luck Ben, get back to us here, we need your spirit!

Vinz
02-13-2010, 10:45 PM
Please remember, Ben can not answer questions nor give any information out.
This is EXACTLY the same advice we all give members who post about firearms cases and it applies here as well.

At this point speculation serves no real purpose so let's keep it to a minimum.
I will say this however, I've seen the car in question personally and when I saw it the only red lights on that car were brake lights. I have every reason to believe that Ben is innocent of the charges described.

I know this will be a topic people will want to discuss and that's fine, let's just remember that questions can't be answered and speculation is exactly that.

can't add more to that....repeat

Cokebottle
02-13-2010, 10:51 PM
If, for some reason, the police had reason to search my car this very instant they would find...

I'm just saying... things are not always what they appear (or the media makes them out to be).
Ditto.
No HAM radio or scanner, but:

4-cell Maglight (club) and crowbar.
Various "stabbing" implements.
Police-issue traffic control cabinet keys (which are also issued to traffic signal technicians).
Red flashing light (amber construction beacon, the red and blue lenses that came with it were tossed into the bottom of the toolbox and forgotten until tonight, guess I probably should toss them).
Blanket.
Trash bags.
Shovel.

And there's probably a few loose 9mm rounds rolling around in the bottom of the tailgate :rolleyes:

Alaric
02-13-2010, 10:52 PM
So... Ben posts this here to notify everyone of both the charges, as well as the ramifications it will have on the operation of CGN and CGF, and then follows his own advice and withdraws from the discussion.

You want to silence the discussion which is a combination of questions, clarifications, and speculations, because it could do... what?

Unless someone is going to post "I was there and I saw it all, too, and I'm gonna tell the police that it was Mr. Cannon because I know, and here's the Youtube video of it all!" what harm is being done?

It sure seems like a friend can't be discussed, but a friend of a friend (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=267601) can be lynch mobbed.

I'm seeing a groundswell of support here for Ben.

Hang on, so you're telling me that Calguns has a double standard for locking a thread? What it comes down to is if it's a cop being accused we'll lock the thread, but if it's one of us we'll keep it open. For what? :mad:

:D Gotcha.

Honestly, I just think it isn't in Mr. Cannon's best interest to have his case discussed here in any way. These are very serious allegations. Allegations that have nothing to do with the 2nd Amd.

leelaw
02-13-2010, 11:09 PM
These are very serious allegations. Allegations that have nothing to do with the 2nd Amd.

Yes, and I've seen your suggestions to close the thread down for that reason.

This situation directly impacts 2A and politics in CA due to his withdrawl from both CGN and CGF for the duration, and for that reason is appropriate to this forum.

CABilly
02-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Weird.

Interesting to see how this plays out. My best wishes for Ben.

oldrifle
02-13-2010, 11:22 PM
$10,000 bail?? That's what shoplifters get. If they really thought it has him, they would have made it $50K+. This is clearly BS. We're pullin' for ya, buddy.

galekowitz
02-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Best of luck! Here is my only advice:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b185/littlejoe1722/Fif.jpg

oldrifle
02-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Honestly, I just think it isn't in Mr. Cannon's best interest to have his case discussed here in any way. These are very serious allegations. Allegations that have nothing to do with the 2nd Amd.

Alright Alaric, you made your opinion on the issue known several times over... now please, give it a rest. :)

leelaw
02-13-2010, 11:24 PM
$10,000 bond?? That's what shoplifters get. If they really thought it has him, they would have made it $50K+. This is clearly BS. We're pullin' for ya, buddy.

Keep in mind that the bond is usually 10% of the bail..

BigDogatPlay
02-13-2010, 11:24 PM
I had a glimmer when I read the story at the PeeDee online this afternoon, and then said... "Naaaaaah".

Innocent until proven otherwise, and that's that. Our community owes Ben Cannon plenty for everything he's done to advance 2A and the shooting sports here in California. We can repay that debt, in part, by not speculating on the situation. It may be a long and winding road before it's done.

oldrifle
02-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Keep in mind that the bond is usually 10% of the bail..

You're right, leelaw, I actually meant to write "bail" because that's what the article said.

Cannon was booked into the Sonoma County jail and has since posted $10,000 bail.

MT1
02-13-2010, 11:36 PM
I had a glimmer when I read the story at the PeeDee online this afternoon, and then said... "Naaaaaah".

Innocent until proven otherwise, and that's that. Our community owes Ben Cannon plenty for everything he's done to advance 2A and the shooting sports here in California. We can repay that debt, in part, by not speculating on the situation. It may be a long and winding road before it's done.

Same here, and I agree.

We should all just hope that justice prevails.

psssniper
02-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Innocent until proven otherwise. Wheres the defense fund being set up?

hawk81
02-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Good luck, but if this evidence is found to be legit by our corrupt system, than you may be in some trouble. Good luck. If I knew I was falsely being accused I would fight them until I either died or they did.

Patrick Aherne
02-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Wow. That's all I've got.

Window_Seat
02-13-2010, 11:52 PM
I don't make it a habit of discussing what I keep with me when I'm cruising around (not just work), but here goes:
OLight tactical light (with strobe feature)
Streamlight Ultrastinger
Handheld scanner (PD/CHP/Fire frequencies)
Digital voice recorder
Camera

On my Galco dress belt (it used to be basketweave):

Leatherman Multitool
Leatherman tool bits
Streamlight Tasklight 3AA (in a holster)
Phone

I generally wear:
5.11 boots
Concealment button up shirts
5.11 cap (seldomly)
I like the 5.11 clothing line

I get concerned once in a while, but my last encounter with CHP was very positive. I've never encountered the news media with all of this going. All of this comes in very handy for my job as an LTL class A driver.

I've had comments before such as "What, you swat or something", or "all you need is the gun & cuffs", etc.

My work uniform gives me that "look", but it's the company uniform. "What can I do" I say...:shrug:

HST, assuming that you are innocent, I hope these charges are dropped.

Erik.

Theseus
02-13-2010, 11:54 PM
This is a troubling development that I vehemently hope is not politically or otherwise illegitimately motivated. Ben, I wish you all the luck in clearing any false allegations against you.

I am curious how these items allegedly wound up in your car: police scanner, strobe light, handcuffs and a siren - according to the media reports. I know you can't and won't comment on that while your prosecution is pending, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Ben. Ben. Ben. Handcuffs? I told you before that I only like silk!

(Or is that is bad taste?)

Give 'em hell!

Lone_Gunman
02-13-2010, 11:57 PM
OK. After reading the articles there are a few things that stand out.
1. No red light found in vehicle.
2. No badge.

The woman is not quoted as mentioning a siren, or a strobe, or handcuffs. She mentions a red light and a badge neither of which they found.
I would love to know exactly what the real story here is but I fully understand why silence is truely the wisest course of action right now.

U2BassAce
02-14-2010, 12:14 AM
Yep follow the case but don't speculate. I can think of some situations where someone could easily be set up.

If someone knows you have those items in your car and has it out for you. All it takes is a friend of a friend to make an allegation.

MP301
02-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Don't you just hate it when they kiss and tell? ;)

No, its the kiss and don't tell I get bent about!

Good luck!
Beat them with your night stick and hurt them real, real bad...
-(ZZ Top)

Ditto.

Police-issue traffic control cabinet keys (which are also issued to traffic signal technicians).
Red flashing light (amber construction beacon, the red and blue lenses that came with it were tossed into the bottom of the toolbox and forgotten until tonight, guess I probably should toss them).
Blanket.
Trash bags.
Shovel.

Ok, I think the violent crimes unit should start watching you pal! :eek:

And there's probably a few loose 9mm rounds rolling around in the bottom of the tailgate :rolleyes:

Yep follow the case but don't speculate. I can think of some situations where someone could easily be set up.

If someone knows you have those items in your car and has it out for you. All it takes is a friend of a friend to make an allegation.

A good point. I remember a few of these cases. If someone knows details about you or what you have, it makes the story seem more legitimate to LE. And let me tell you, if they even think you have impersonated an LEO, they pull out all the stops!

It may look bad if you take the media reports at face value, but let me tell those of you in that are not aware in that you cannot take articles like this at face value.

In all of the incidents I have been in over the last 25 years, both directly or indirectly, the information reported in the media about these incidents was between 20 and 80 percent accurate! Never 100 percent and usually somewhere in the middle

Sometimes because the media doesnt understand what they are reporting or are just being lazy. Sometimes because the rep for the agency providing the information puts a twist on it and sometimes because of all of the above.

So, let me tell you, I dont just swallow whatever they feed me because they say it is so. And no one else should either.

Besides, who in their right mind trys to pull someone over in a Silver BMW?! :nuts:

Alaric
02-14-2010, 12:32 AM
Interestingly, there has been another case of a guy in the same area accused of pulling women over and assaulting them going through the courts lately: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20100201/ARTICLES/100209982?Title=Man-accused-in-roadside-attacks-has-one-charge-dropped-one-added

BigDogatPlay
02-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Who, unfortunately to the matter at hand, is in custody and has been for quite a while.

Theseus
02-14-2010, 12:41 AM
I remember when I was managing a Dell store the company hired some kid that had been convicted of impersonating an officer. . . marked up a Crown Victoria to be almost an exact mock-up. I don't believe he was assaulting anyone, but pulled them over and gave them fake tickets and stuff.

trashman
02-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Best wishes, Ben - looking forward to having you back!

--Neill

nobody_special
02-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Well, this is just surreal. All we have is a news story, no first-hand information at all. Speculation is pointless. May justice prevail. Hopefully someday he'll be able to look back and laugh about this.

glockwise2000
02-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Ben best of luck.

SwissFluCase
02-14-2010, 1:03 AM
Just because the police said they found the items doesn't mean they were there. I have seen at least two friends of mine have run ins with the police, and in both times the police fabricated the evidence. As such I trust a used car salesman's word over that of the police.

Thank you for your work, Ben, and never give in.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

obeygiant
02-14-2010, 1:55 AM
looking forward to the published retractions and wish you well in your fight.

Riodog
02-14-2010, 1:58 AM
Damn, some guys will do anything for POA!

Speculation could be anything from an ex- girl friend to the teller at the bank that Ben wouldn't look twice at.

Nothings going to come from this except->
It's going to cost Ben some bucks.
It will bring unwanted notoriety to anything that Ben's involved in.
It will give him another headache.
It means I'll have to buy a different color Beemer.

Iffin he needs a witness I saw the whole thing.

Just tryin to give him a chuckle in a streeful situation.
I won't say 'good luck' as luck has nothing to do with it- I just hope he can PROVE her wrong.

Not a doubt in my itty bitty mind,
Rio

MP301
02-14-2010, 2:35 AM
Damn, some guys will do anything for POA!

Speculation could be anything from an ex- girl friend to the teller at the bank that Ben wouldn't look twice at.

Nothings going to come from this except->
It's going to cost Ben some bucks.
It will bring unwanted notoriety to anything that Ben's involved in.
It will give him another headache.
It means I'll have to buy a different color Beemer.

Iffin he needs a witness I saw the whole thing.

Just tryin to give him a chuckle in a streeful situation.
I won't say 'good luck' as luck has nothing to do with it- I just hope he can PROVE her wrong.

Not a doubt in my itty bitty mind,
Rio

So, where were you when all this happened? :p

TRICKSTER
02-14-2010, 3:05 AM
Ditto.

Blanket.
Trash bags.
Shovel.

Sound like the contents of Ted Bundy's trunk.:D

bigcalidave
02-14-2010, 3:17 AM
****! Good luck Ben!!!

What the hell is going on here?? Someone call me with the details!

mlatino
02-14-2010, 3:27 AM
Crazy ex-girlfriends with their elaborate frame jobs and cops planting things all over people.

You guys make me chuckle sometimes.

Joe
02-14-2010, 3:47 AM
Crazy. I'm eager to hear how this plays out.

CnCFunFactory
02-14-2010, 5:01 AM
I don't know Ben except from his postings on this site. He seems like a fairly astute, intelligent and articulate gentleman from what I can gather. I wish him the best in this ugly situation he now finds himself in.

lowracer
02-14-2010, 6:01 AM
I am unable to make further comments or statements at this time.

All I know of the criminal justice system I learned from watching "Law and Order" reruns. This is the best advice anyone could follow. Good luck with your case.

Edward Peruta
02-14-2010, 7:22 AM
I recently decided not to post on Calguns, but changed my mind because of this topic and all the comments being made about same.

This situation is far too important to just read and move on, and I have decided to offer a bit of advise that may or may not help the accused.

In my capacity as a legal investigator on a pro bono basis back in Connecticut, I sometimes find and pass along information and offer investigative advice and my opinions to various Attorneys.

I recently found and sent east an article on Cell Phone GPS tracking.

Go to this link to read more http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-146780.html

If I was Ben Cannon, and I knew damn well I wasn't anywhere near the female's location at the time she claims to have been pulled over here is what I would immediately do.

I would challenge the allegations and charges of Impersonating an Officer at a specific location at a specific time through the technology available in my cell phone. I would immediately attempt to obtain my cell phone GPS tracking data for the date and time of the alledged offense!!!

Here is a snipit of a related news article that I found on the internet.

The Justice Department is poised this week to publicly defend a little known law enforcement practice that critics say may be the "sleeper" privacy issue of the 21st century: the collection of cell phone "tracking" records that identify the physical locations where the phones have been.

It may come as a surprise to most of the owners of the country's 277 million cell phones but their cell phone company retains records of where their device has been at all times--either because the phones have tiny GPS devices embedded inside or because each phone call is routed through towers that can be used to pinpoint the phones' location to within areas as small as a few hundred feet.

Such location "logs" never show up on your monthly cell phone bill. But federal court records filed over the past year indicate that federal prosecutors and the FBI have increasingly been obtaining such records in the course of criminal investigations--without any notice to the cell phone customer or any showing of "probable cause" that tracking the physical location of the phone will turn up evidence of an actual crime.

six10
02-14-2010, 8:17 AM
A news article is circulating alleging that I "Impersonated an Officer". - these allegations are untrue, and I expect to have my good name, and reputation, fully restored in short order.
This is the only statement in this thread worth reading, imo. Bolding mine.

Southwest Chuck
02-14-2010, 8:19 AM
Crazy ex-girlfriends with their elaborate frame jobs and cops planting things all over people.

You guys make me chuckle sometimes.

You're mistaken to dismiss it out of hand and shows your naivety in such matters, no offense . It does happen, and I'm a living example of it. The ex had an affair with a leo and both conspired repeatedly to set me up; Luckily, (extremely) for me, they were exposed and got caught red handed in one of the attempts.

While you may see a tin foil hat theory :TFH: , others have experienced the reality of it :mad:

Edited to add: Good luck, Ben. Stay strong. Right make might.

Billy Jack
02-14-2010, 8:34 AM
Caryl Whittier Chessman aka 'Red Light Bandit', Angelo Bouno, Kenneth Bianchi aka 'Hillside Stranglers', William Bonin aka 'Freeway Strangler' all had similar MO's and had similar evidence found in their homes and businesses. Billy Jack actually work one of these cases in a previous incarnation. Been there, done that!

It would appear that this is a law enforcement conspiracy spanning almost 70 years and multiple jurisdictions. Obviously local law enforcement are not capable of handling an impartial investigation. Perhaps we can request the United Nations to appoint a Special Prosecutor to investigate or the Court of the Hague?

I smell something here. I know, it is denial by a whole lot of people who simply do not know the facts or evidence. When you testify in Federal or state court, what is evidence is what you actually know. Not what you feel, believe, surmise, think, hope, fantasize, wish or conjecture.

Let's give it a rest. The Brady people can hardly keep up with your posts.

Billy Jack

7x57
02-14-2010, 8:53 AM
Let's give it a rest. The Brady people can hardly keep up with your posts.

:rofl:

I believe Billy Jack has invented a reason to pipe down we've not heard before--to take it easy on our enemies trying to monitor us. :D

OTOH, he has a point about remembering that anything said here is fair game for anyone who wants to construe it against us. It's understandable to express support for a friend, but is anything useful being said here?

7x57

RobG
02-14-2010, 9:36 AM
Don't taze me Bro Ben!

Here's to a speedy return:cheers2:

artherd
02-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Good luck Ben, get back to us here, we need your spirit!

You know, it's exceedingly frustrating not being able to comment :) I can only inadequately thank you all for your support and wishes. It is only in crisis that you find out who your true friends are, and I have more than I ever knew. When this is all over I can promise you an interesting story.

I am grateful for you all.
-Ben.

Maestro Pistolero
02-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Mods,
Please end this here, what a perfect place. And delete this post. Thanks

383green
02-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Best of luck, and may justice prevail.

ETA: BTW, y'all can delete my post, too, if you choose to take MP's suggestion above.

foxtrotuniformlima
02-14-2010, 10:23 AM
When this is all over I can promise you an interesting story.

That is the part I'm looking forward to.

Good luck Ben!

pullnshoot25
02-14-2010, 10:32 AM
You know, it's exceedingly frustrating not being able to comment :) I can only inadequately thank you all for your support and wishes. It is only in crisis that you find out who your true friends are, and I have more than I ever knew. When this is all over I can promise you an interesting story.

-Ben.

Speaking of which, Happy Valentines Day!

MT1
02-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Mods,
Please end this here, what a perfect place. And delete this post. Thanks

Agreed.

Delete these posts and lock it up for now - especially this distasteful example above.

Purple K
02-14-2010, 10:37 AM

Kinda like the way they describe everything as an assault weapon, unless it was stolen out of one of their patrol cars, then it's just a semi-automatic rifle.

Purple K
02-14-2010, 10:43 AM

Purely coincidental....... Sure!

cortayack
02-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Hopefully the truth comes out.....Its sad it takes money(alots) to defend yourself! I don't know the truth in the matter but all I can say is good luck and can't wait to read what happen.....

bwiese
02-14-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm unwisely gonna add my two bits here about Ben. He's obviously has to STFU. We've also all seen how news reports get blown out of shape - look what happened to BWO and others popped on gun charges that weren't sustained.

Appears no charges have been filed.

I'm confident Ben's lawyer has a variety of multi-sourced technical and deposable info clearly
showing he was at another place than the incident during the time window of the alleged situation.

Ben has had an, um, 'interesting' traffic history. BMW 750iLs go pretty fast, and he's not very popular
with area cops up there. No red light of the style alleged was found in LE inventory, and everything
found in his car was perfectly legal.

Ben appears not to have ever met the woman involved. A chick who may be making the allegations
has tried to contact Ben multiple times in relation to GunPal business.

Ben does not need to pull gals over to get a date, and the general impression I have is that Ben
fishes in a big pond and has a lotta catch in his creel.

Ben's a playful guy with a lotta ladyfriends I wouldn't wanna lay odds against Ben's DNA being found
inside those handcuffs :)

Purple K
02-14-2010, 10:53 AM

A handheld HAM radio, which I always carry, that can be used as a police scanner.

A Blackhawk flashlight that has a strobe feature.

A keychain on my mail key that I got at some electronics convention that has a flashing red light on it.

Sounds like what you'd find in quite a few Calgunner's cars.

DRM6000
02-14-2010, 10:57 AM
i'm sure ben will be fine.

somebody is going to be in some deep doo doo when ben goes after them. we've all seen how hard he fights and what he's done for us all starting with the oll's.

good luck ben and give 'em hell.

trashman
02-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Sounds like what you'd find in quite a few Calgunner's cars.

You got that right. My car (and jeep) gets pulled for random inspections at work periodically and there is almost always something 'interesting' in my trunk -- usually bags of spent shotgun hulls, lotsa brass from the last range trip, eyes/ear protection, and certainly a variety of tools, lights, parts, etc.

The security guys at work are looking specifically for weapons - but I would hate to have the contents of my car and jeep inventories on page A9 of the local newspapers.

--Neill

FreedomIsNotFree
02-14-2010, 11:20 AM
A cell phones location can be tracked even when not on a call. Cell phones continually speak to towers with or without a GPS chip. Keep your head up Ben.

SteveH
02-14-2010, 11:37 AM
You would think the police were pinging his phone and tracking its history while they had him under surviellance?

anthonyca
02-14-2010, 11:43 AM

-Ben.

I can't wait to hear this Ben. I don't want to speculate but I can see how something like this could happen. Getting arrested sucks, especially for something that you didn't do. Good luck Ben. Good job on the Fifth.

ivanimal
02-14-2010, 12:03 PM

-Ben.

We are all pulling for you Ben.

Please make sure if you make a comment here that it is a benefit not a liability to our cause.

Experimentalist
02-14-2010, 12:09 PM
I remember when we celebrated Ben's last legal victory, the Milpitas lowers. Ben handed out some clever napkins to commemorate the event.

I look forward to toasting your exoneration in this case, Ben. But even more, I look forward to seeing what you pass out at this party... The imagination runs wild... :eek:

turbosbox
02-14-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm unwisely gonna add my two bits here about Ben. He's obviously has to STFU. We've also all seen how news reports get blown out of shape - look what happened to BWO and others popped on gun charges that weren't sustained.

Appears no charges have been filed.

I'm confident Ben's lawyer has a variety of multi-sourced technical and deposable info clearly
showing he was at another place than the incident during the time window of the alleged situation.

Ben has had an, um, 'interesting' traffic history. BMW 750iLs go pretty fast, and he's not very popular with area cops up there.
No red light of the style alleged was found in LE inventory, and
everything found in his car was perfectly legal.

Ben appears not to have ever met the woman involved. Seems the chick making the allegations has
tried to contact Ben multiple times in relation to GunPal business.

Ben does not need to pull gals over to get a date, and the general impression I have is that Ben
fishes in a big pond and has a lotta catch in his creel.

Ben's a playful guy, a lotta ladyfriends I wouldn't wanna lay odds against Ben's DNA being found inside
those handcuffs :)

Thanks, I'm sure many of us really wanted at least some plausible reason to maintain that he is innocent. The other side of what was reported paints an ugly picture we would like to erase.

TonyNorCal
02-14-2010, 12:25 PM
In the many years I've been on Calguns I've come to see Ben as someone who is consistently levelheaded, thoughtful, and selfless.

His contributions to our 2A rights are extraordinary. It's likely we wouldn't have an OLL movement without him. He's also contributed in a multitude of other areas. I do not think it an exaggeration to say that he's in that select, and very small group individuals who have done more for our rights than anyone over the last 5 years.

More importantly than that though is that he's demonstrated he's a good man. I fully believe he will be cleared.

SteveH
02-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Thanks, I'm sure many of us really wanted at least some plausible reason to maintain that he is innocent. The other side of what was reported paints an ugly picture we would like to erase.

Sounds like Ben has a stalker who took it up a notch. If the "victim" in this case is lying i hope she is held accountable both criminally and civilly.

If she really was victimized but is just mistaken about it being Ben i hope the real suspect is caught.

Tweak338
02-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Ben..

You really gotta learn a better way to pick up hot girls ;)
JK. :p

Sucks that your being pegged for this. I was wondering what your FB status was about. Your not stupid enough to even try this. I hope for a favorable outcome

bwiese
02-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Lemme just say that if Ben had indeed picked up a chick in his car in traffic, we'd see her picture on Facebook, she'd be smiling, and drinking a Mojito.

Tweak338
02-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Lemme just say that if Ben had indeed picked up a chick in his car in traffic, we'd see her picture on Facebook, she'd be smiling, and drinking a Mojito.
I know Bill.
Was only making a joke out of the situation. :o

odysseus
02-14-2010, 1:26 PM
Wow the drama. Hope this gets resolved soon for Ben versus what usually happens. Surprised to read here that it is not conclusive if charges have been actually filed.

Lone_Gunman
02-14-2010, 1:43 PM
Ben appears not to have ever met the woman involved. A chick who may be making the allegations
has tried to contact Ben multiple times in relation to GunPal business.

Interesting. If this turns out to be a case of a woman scorned... :mad:

blacklisted
02-14-2010, 2:00 PM
Wow, this is certainly an unexpected development. Or maybe not, if you consider how many enemies Ben probably has at this point.

I hope for a quick and positive resolution to this. Everyone needs to let the attorneys do their job, and be patient. The whole story will come out eventually.

bigcalidave
02-14-2010, 2:29 PM
Petaluma chicks have always been trouble. It's like the bad spot between marin and rosa :D

pullnshoot25
02-14-2010, 2:30 PM
Interesting. If this turns out to be a case of a woman scorned... :mad:

Hell hath no fury...

ponderosa
02-14-2010, 3:04 PM
A nightmare that could happen to anyone...
Good luck amigo.

turbosbox
02-14-2010, 3:07 PM
Well, I'm glad he is innocent of all this, or am I? I was needing to get one of those confiscated BMW's at the police action for $100 that I keep seeing advertised :D

OC4ME
02-14-2010, 3:10 PM
...really now, in this day and age who would want to impersonate a cop?...all that CSI: Miami techno find the bad guy stuff...don't give the cops more credit for intelligence than they actually have. If they were as good as TV cops we would not be spending 17+ pages of virtual ink on this.

Besides, unfounded speculation is what makes the Internetz go round. Facts make for boring conversation.

qaz987
02-14-2010, 4:35 PM
Good luck friend.

N6ATF
02-14-2010, 5:19 PM
Hasn't Ben had his car, face, and license plate in his avatar at one point or another?

Don't need much more to fabricate a false report and identification. Would not be surprised in the least if the reporting party is a member of the Brady Campaign, etc.

GuyW
02-14-2010, 5:58 PM
Best of luck - we will all await hearing about "the rest of the story"...

HowardW56
02-14-2010, 6:01 PM
Best of luck - we will all await hearing about "the rest of the story"...

DITTO

69Mach1
02-14-2010, 6:15 PM
You'll get through this. Good luck Ben.

Steyr_223
02-14-2010, 9:06 PM
Good luck Ben!

I will always remember the first Milpitas OLL group buy you and scatchmago setup, I got mine!

We will always be in your debt.

Rod

Roadrunner
02-14-2010, 9:16 PM
I was digging around on the internet, and I found this (http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:DYUfHg77nsIJ:wapedia.mobi/en/Benjamin_Cannon+%22Benjamin+Cannon%22+Calguns.net&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us). Unless a person is a celebrity, why in the hell would a person put their personal life out there like that? It made me want to be a ghost real quick when I found my name and address on the internet.

wash
02-14-2010, 9:16 PM
Let's hope you can get a restraining order against her and a CCW permit.

bigcalidave
02-14-2010, 9:57 PM
Ben IS a celebrity :)

Meplat
02-14-2010, 9:59 PM
Eye fwitness IDs are wong as often as not. Especially after a brief encounter in the dark. Strange all the evidence was found in his car and none in the house? Can you spell plant?

It also seems strange that the bail is only $10,000 for a charge of this magnitude.

I hope Ben Has rock solid evidence that puts him some where else.

tankerman
02-14-2010, 10:07 PM
The only thing I ever thought you impersonated was a Ferrari owner.:p

Meplat
02-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Strange they don't say the strobe was red.

I am a tough sell on criminal cases, guess that's why they don't like me on juries.

Alaric
02-14-2010, 10:16 PM
What really gets me about Mr. Cannon is that he (according to multiple accounts reported on the interwebs) founded his first company at 14.

- Benjamin Philip Cannon (born October 9, 1980)
- Cannon was the Founder, and Chairman/CEO of Cartesian Systems Internet, an ISP/NSP, in 1994.

If we ever need a nickname for Ben, I think, "Doogie Howser" should suffice. :eek: :D

MonsterMan
02-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Good luck Ben. Hope this all goes away soon for you.

Meplat
02-14-2010, 10:17 PM

I have a red Q-beam for varmint hunting, I also have a couple scanners. But I don't know any girls kinky enough for handcuffs.:43:

Riodog
02-14-2010, 10:36 PM
This thread is totally worthless with out pics! Besides, she was prolly Ugly!
Rio

tankerman
02-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Have you verified any of this information?
Ben Cannon is a badass!
Its the same Ben Cannon.
[/Quote]
Previously, Mr. Cannon was the founder, President, & CEO of CBC Construction & Engineering, and Cannon Aerospace. As head of Cannon Aerospace, Mr. Cannon managed & produced, under government contracts, airborne night vision surveillance systems. He has been recognized by 3 governmental branches for his achievements in airborne sensor systems integration and realtime recording. At CBC, Cannon headed a Performance Bonded Prime contractor program and has been influential in several important California infrastructure projects. Prior to Cannon Aerospace, Mr. Cannon founded Cartesian Systems Internet, an ISP/NSP, in 1994.[/Quote]

ivanimal
02-14-2010, 10:45 PM
OK this has degenerated far enough. Good luck Ben. You know we are all pulling for you. I am closing this with a word of thanks to Ben for all he does and has done. I thank all of our loyal supporters for the faith you have in our fellow member.