PDA

View Full Version : Firearms law at Lassen National Park

jimh
02-13-2010, 10:56 AM
I think there may a problem in Lassen Park.

http://www.nps.gov/lavo/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

It says restrooms are restricted, but I believe a federal employee has to work in the building, correct? See this link below:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=44934&d=1265243284

It also appears that the blanket restriction to Drakesbad is not correct. The sleeping areas are not staffed by park employees, only the main lodge and the eating areas. Even then the Koeberer family has operated Drakesbad and all other concessions in the park. I do not think they are federal employees.

Thoughts?

taloft
02-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Are the bathrooms in the Lodge or Visitor Center or are they stand alone structures? If stand alone you may have a valid point. However, keep in mind they are structures where paperwork is handled and therefore may qualify.:D

thegratenate
02-13-2010, 11:21 AM
And the employees probably get more done there than in the traditional offices:eek:

jimh
02-13-2010, 12:08 PM
My concern is that its ALL restrooms, many up there are stand alone..

Kicker0429
02-13-2010, 12:17 PM
What if we did not use the restrooms? Maybe they would make an exception so that we would not "go" like the bears do. :ack2:

odysseus
02-13-2010, 12:38 PM
Of course we know that anyone carrying a firearm is persona non grata by park staff and will be treated as such. There also will be some hate and false complaints by other visitors whom don't believe in the people's right to bear arms. I am sure stories are going to come out more in the beginning as people lawfully exercise that right.

However I agree, not allowing use of any restrooms is a problem if you can be given a citation for releasing outside. There seems to be an issue there on fundamental fair use of the park grounds.

GrizzlyGuy
02-13-2010, 1:04 PM
See here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3790256#post3790256), I wasn't joking about the daily toilet cleaning meeting the criteria.

sfpcservice
02-13-2010, 1:05 PM
Federal law prohibits the possession
of a firearm or other dangerous
weapon in this Federal facility unless
specifically authorized. 18 USC 930(a)
possession violations are subject to
fine and/or imprisonment up to one
year

However 18 USC 930(d)(3) states:

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply toŚ

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

Seems to me that you can carry in a Federal Facility on a national park, because it is now a "lawful purpose".

Wouldn't self defense be considered a "lawful purpose" in light of the fact that it isn't "unlawful"? If so, you can carry anywhere, sign or no sign. On the sign, they leave out the section d.

bigcalidave
02-13-2010, 2:26 PM
I believe I have a few contacts with lassen rangers. Tons of people have CCWs up here, and Lassen is a great park. I'll give them a call next week and see what's up. Total BS to bring up a policy of disarming to use a restroom. That's unacceptable.

CHS
02-13-2010, 5:07 PM
Call up the Rangers and ask if they'll hold our guns for us while we go #2, or if we should just leave them on the ground outside?

They might re-think their strategy a little quicker that way.