PDA

View Full Version : Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays...differences?

Rickfifty
01-16-2006, 4:55 PM
Could someone give me a brief description of skeet, trap, clays and maybe what are the differences?

Gnote
01-16-2006, 5:34 PM
Really brief.

Trap is when you are shooting at a target that is flying away from you. The box where it comes out of is 16 yards ahead of you and the clays are flying away at different angles.

Sheet is when you shoot clays that come from opposing directions.

Sports clays is when the clays come from different directions.

Check out http://www.shotgunworld.com. Its a forum with good info.

Edited to add:
I've only don trap so far as this seems the least confusing... Will try others when I get better.

Shoot-it
01-16-2006, 7:01 PM
hay rick thats someting you need too do for youself.Go out and shoot the course most places will have someone that will show you how its done.Its alot of fun.

Where do you live what city I could show you if your not too far away.:)

Rickfifty
01-16-2006, 7:52 PM
Go out and shoot the course )

Shoot the course? Do you move around, like golf?

I was just curious, as I might be laughed off the "course" with my short-barrelled Mossberg. By the way, I live in Fremont.

Gnote
01-16-2006, 7:58 PM
Shoot the course? Do you move around, like golf?

I was just curious, as I might be laughed off the "course" with my short-barrelled Mossberg. By the way, I live in Fremont.

You don't really move around. You should go to the range though and just watch. I really recommend talking with people there too. I wouldn't worry about being laughed at. No one is going to do that.

edbon9
01-16-2006, 8:37 PM
most places have a minimum barrel requirement (sunnyvale - trap only- and coyote valley [sporting/skeet/trap] ) have a minimum 26" barrel requirement.. within trap you can shoot handicap (up to 27yds) and doubles (two birds come out at the same time). They are all a lot of fun.. in sporting clays a course is laid out (coyote has 16-18 stations) so you do move from station to station (you don't have to do all of them if you don't want, and you only pay what you break :) there's also five stand. skeet has 8-9 stations and you can shoot doubles or singles, faster paced than trap.

Shoot-it
01-19-2006, 1:03 AM
most places have a minimum barrel requirement (sunnyvale - trap only- and coyote valley [sporting/skeet/trap] ) have a minimum 26" barrel requirement.. within trap you can shoot handicap (up to 27yds) and doubles (two birds come out at the same time). They are all a lot of fun.. in sporting clays a course is laid out (coyote has 16-18 stations) so you do move from station to station (you don't have to do all of them if you don't want, and you only pay what you break :) there's also five stand. skeet has 8-9 stations and you can shoot doubles or singles, faster paced than trap.

You see he knows what I am talking about there is a course sporting clays takes 100 rounds and you have too move too station to station.thats with all of them just like...sheet is 25 rounds single trap 25, 5 stand is 25 clays 30 shots .just like i said go out to a sporting clay glub thats open too the public and try it out! I go too the Rooster ranch because i live close to it.They are open too everone i dont think they care how long your gun is either.:)

Gnote i think your talking about a pistol and rifle range now that is different then shotgun clay shooting etc...

bwiese
01-23-2006, 10:55 AM
I shoot trap at Los Altos R&G with my Benelli Nova 18.5" smoothbore. I do need a longer barrel but I don't like a full 28" bbl like on my Win 1300 Black Shadow - it's an overall balance/handiness thing. 24" would be just fine.

Doing tolerably well now on the slower speed launcher now. Eventually will move on to the medium speed launcher.

Gnote
01-28-2006, 3:26 PM
Found this on Shotgunworld.com

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/aboutthegames.php

Rickfifty
01-29-2006, 8:21 AM
Thanks Gnote, that's exactly what I was looking for.

crs1
01-31-2006, 8:48 AM
--BWIESE,

A 24" barrel with the right chokes and ammo can give you 28" barrel performance...I like the shorter barrels too for hunting, they swing better in the brush...

But, are you really using an 18.5 smoothbore?...Whatever works, right?...With some of the sarcasm on these forums, it's hard for me to tell sometimes when people are serious. How do you get the long shots, 3" magnums? For close in flyers on the skeet range, I can see how it would work to your advantage.