PDA

View Full Version : Turner's has a MKS Hi-point 9mm for $149

mojavefox
02-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Very cheap price for a 9mm. I read some other forums (http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/pistol-caliber-carbines/14685-talk-me-about-hi-point.html) comments on these guns and they seem to be a good all-around plinking gun. If I can persuade the wife a little I will be getting mine!:43:

Turner's Link:
http://turners.com/engage/displayads.php

Rukus
02-12-2010, 2:27 PM
Or you could buy a used one for $179 from the guy in the FS forum :rolleyes:

Massappeal
02-12-2010, 3:33 PM
How are these guns? I've read they are garbage but I can't always believe a couple words on the internet!
Also Turners has mossberg pistol grip Persuaders (20"barrel) with heatshield for $299:D

hkusp9c
02-12-2010, 4:00 PM
Im not trying to be a smartass but you are asking the internet again even though you dont believe in them. I dont believe every word on the internet either but the only good thing i've heard about it was how cheap it is. And the most blown up gun of the year award.

dan12580
02-12-2010, 4:33 PM
for 150$ you should know what your getting into. in my opinion every round after about the 8th is a blessing but again, in my opinion, anything that will go bang twice is worth 150$.

Swoop
02-12-2010, 4:43 PM
You get what you pay for, if you want to be able to hit a target, protect yourself or your family would you buy the cheapest gun possible? Probably not, my vote would call them ugly junk and you should probaby pick up a quality used gun from the forums all you will need to pay is $35 for the transfer fee and no taxes....

O yea, and Turners is a joke, ther $10 off adds crack me up and the majority of people that work there are jerks so there are plenty of better priced local shops to support.

Lyte-
02-12-2010, 5:05 PM

I saw that earlier

maxima
02-12-2010, 5:54 PM
Looks like this gun is dangerous to have. How could it pass DOJ's test as "safe" gun?

warbird
02-12-2010, 6:00 PM
I own both the 9mm and the .380 and they are bulky self defense guns not meant for competition. They are polymer frames and they shoot decently and don't jam. The parts and the assembly are American made in Ohio and they have a site you can visit to learn more. If I have to surrender a gun to the cops for shooting someone in my own home or defending myself I would rather it be a cheap functional one like this as opposed to a $2,000 safe queen. You are not getting a Desert Eagle but you are getting a gun that will get the job done. That's my two cents on the issue

hkusp9c
02-12-2010, 6:17 PM
Yeah but it would be pretty awkward if the gun jammed or blow up in your hand while trying to defend yourself or the loved ones. Let "them" have my $2k safe queen. I'd make sure to grab one that I know for sure it works 24/7 when it comes down to any critical situation. After all, my flip flops cost more than that. Just my two cents

mojavefox
02-12-2010, 7:17 PM
I went down and handled this gun at the Turner's store. I liked the initial feel but decided against making a purchase today. It did not even have a slide release. It will only chamber by hand (again, no lever) after you insert a clip. That and the really cheap (reflecting the price) feel of the polymer on this gun seemed more inferior of any other that I have handled in the past. I do agree it would be a good starter gun, and that is what I am in the market for, but I ultimately passed on this one. I will hold out for either a S&W Sigma or a SA XD.

Swoop
02-12-2010, 7:52 PM
Get and XD or a Glock you will find a good one used from $375-$450 all day long and wont regret it. Either would be a great first gun, get something reliable especially if it's for home def..

Nighthawk T3 or Blackwater tactical close to where I sleep always and If you have to hand them over to the PD if something happens, guess what your going to get it back eventually so who cares, reliability and your well being along with your loved ones is priority over saving $.. +1 on the previous posters reply I'm sure many will agree!

ledman
02-12-2010, 7:59 PM

LOL...I know huh...I was thinking about that the other day, if I sold my (used) Hi-point 9mm, I probably would ask $140, and thats with a holster and 1 10 rd mag and 3 8rd mags. with original box. No tax of course, so that is a plus.
That seems fair, don't ya think? Not $175. He was orginally asking $220!:eek: But to each his own, it's his gun:rolleyes:

SO, the Hi-point is NOT a glock, or a Kimber, or a Sig...it's like Comparing a Pinto to a Corvette. So, its not really fair to try to compare a Hi-point to higher end guns.

I own one, I use it to plink, I do not use it for protection, I have a G19 and a mossberg 590 for that.

The Hi-point has a lifetime warranty, even if you sell it, it transfers with the new owner.
it is bulky, but, is not a bad shooter. Yes, it is ugly to, I will admit.
The biggest problem I have had is with the magazine(s) mis-feeding, somtimes.
BUT, for what i paid for it, I am happy with it's performance.
Don't go into buying a Hi-point pistol expecting you will get Glock performance, and you will be content with it as an everyday shooter, for fun.
If all else fails, you can always throw it at your assailant, if you hit them in the head, I gurantee they will go down!

warbird
02-12-2010, 9:11 PM
These guns have to be California complient and ledman is right on all points. It is a little down and dirty gun and I have seen all the major brands misfire and jam mainly due to cheap ammo and bad upkeep. But each to their own. I do not expect anymore out of these guns than to function with proper upkeep and the right ammo. Cheap ammo in an inexpensive gun is going to cause problems. you want to see something bad try alum cased ammo in a Desert Eagle. I know a guy who did and it was not pretty but I don't condemn the DE for it.

mswanson223
02-12-2010, 9:27 PM
Good point warbird but I would still rather pay the extra money and buy a Glock or a Ruger P series pistol. Also If I am right you still can get your weapon back from the Police thru the courts.

dirtnap
02-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Project 2K here in San Diego has them for 125.00

covertcombatant
02-14-2010, 1:55 PM
I have one along with 3 xd's. It's not as nice or ergonomical as the xd's but it has fired everytime I have squeezed the trigger 200+ times. I would have no problem going for that gun in a bad situation.

xbimmers
02-14-2010, 5:56 PM
hahahaha

I saw that earlier

Cokebottle
02-14-2010, 7:20 PM
Looks like this gun is dangerous to have. How could it pass DOJ's test as "safe" gun?
If a gun doesn't fire, it's safe :p

But seriously... DOJ is primarily looking for features that prevent the gun from self-discharging when dropped repeatedly on, IIRC, all 6 axes (I'm not positive about the sides, but it is definitely dropped on the muzzle and butt).

Beyond that, I believe they run about 200rds through them.

Ed_Hazard
02-14-2010, 7:27 PM
Yeah the HI-Point is one butt ugly blocky gun...that being said I own 3 of the 9mm's. I get all kinds of crap from some of my freinds about how the kydex holsters I had made cost more than the gun, but when we go hiking or panning and I slip against a rock or get dunked in the river, I dont come up worrying that I dinged up my gun. Unlike my buddy and his TRP. The HiPoint goes bang everytime I need it to and as long as I maintain it I expect it to keep right on doing so.:thumbsup:

edosan
02-14-2010, 11:08 PM
I have one and have fired several hundred rounds through it with out a problem. Hi Point does have a lifetime warranty, they will fix it and return it with one or two more mags. Can't go wrong!

Lyte-
02-15-2010, 9:49 AM
Project 2K here in San Diego has them for 125.00

Good looking out thats where my mom and I go shooting in SD.

I just got her a 22lr but she is already thinking about upgrading to a 45. I told her lets move to a 9 next and work your way up....:rolleyes:

vega
02-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Very cheap price for a 9mm. I read some other forums (http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/pistol-caliber-carbines/14685-talk-me-about-hi-point.html) comments on these guns and they seem to be a good all-around plinking gun. If I can persuade the wife a little I will be getting mine!:43:

Turner's Link:
http://turners.com/engage/displayads.php
Listen only to people who owns or used to own them and not to people who heard it from their neighbor who told their mechanics who told their dentist and got the info from their pets.

JaMail
02-15-2010, 11:07 AM
hey my dentist is a very knowledgable anti, and if he says its crap, its crap. he told me when i bought my red ryder, that i would definitley shoot my eyes out.

bubbapug1
02-15-2010, 3:15 PM
I have one. It works, its not a beretta or a 1911, but it fires and it shoots well, but trigger sucks...like a glocks kind of, but not as bad. Its not as ugly as a glock

macker
02-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Lifetime warranty, one of the best I've ever seen, and the company honors it. Made in the USA.

If you have budget to spend more, feel free. There's many guns with better looks, nicer trigger, etc. But I have no reason to doubt this gun for its ability to discharge 8-11 rounds of 9mm at up to 25 yards, without imposing any limititations on accuracy or reliability.

On an odd footnote, there's two schools of thought, for these guns. Clean it religiously, or never clean it. Owners report success with both methods. Don't know that I'd recommend the latter on principle, but if you are bad about maintenance, this may be a factor to consider.

GunHobby
02-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Bought one off my buddy and then sold it to another buddy. :)

Junk for shooting reloads. Just my PO

ledman
02-16-2010, 11:54 AM
hey my dentist is a very knowledgable anti, and if he says its crap, its crap. he told me when i bought my red ryder, that i would definitley shoot my eyes out.

LMAO!!

tom1850
02-19-2010, 8:53 PM
I picked one up a couple of weeks agon and it is a fun gun. I know they get bashed lots online but last week I fired the first 200 rds with no problems what so ever. I have talked to the folks at Hipoint..ordered a couple of 10rd mags and they are really nice. No Tax No Shipping on the mags. Everyone says you get what you pay for and I agree but the Hipoint really delivers for the money. American made with a LIFETIME transferable warranty. It is a bit heavy but a fun gun and if all else fails and you were to throw it at an intruder it would be pretty dangerous.

Great Firearm. I suggest you check one out.

five.five-six
02-19-2010, 8:55 PM
I have hipoint 9mm and it shoots great, it's the same as a glock, just not as ugly

ledman
02-19-2010, 9:04 PM
I have hipoint 9mm and it shoots great, it's the same as a glock, just not as ugly

lol...I think you have that backwards...:rolleyes:
I have both, and love both.

dakobster81
02-20-2010, 10:12 AM
hi point...sigh...

also...this made me laugh...

Cokebottle
02-20-2010, 9:21 PM
hi point...sigh...

also...this made me laugh...
556 is good at that :D

ledman
02-21-2010, 8:00 PM
Hi Points get a bad rap for being cheap, but, that is only the price on the gun, so I say do not judge a book by it's cover. I bought my Hi Point 6 years ago at Turners in Orange when it was on sale for $139.98.
$183.75 out the door in 2004.
Cheap, yes. Cheap gun? Yes. Do I feel the ned to "defend" my purchase, no, I do not owe an explaination to anyone.

BUT, I must speak up, and defend the gun it self, as it is not a bad gun just because the price is low, IMO.

I got what I paid for...a 9mm pistol that performs it's duty as it is supposed to, and I think it does it well. This is the best gun purchase I have ever made in my life, for the money I spent. Would I buy another one, yes.

In this economy, with so many people out of work, getting new jobs in different fields, for gun lovers that may have had to sell off guns to get money, this may be an option for them if they want a pistol again, but cannot afford to break the bank on buying an HK or an Ed Brown.

They (HP) make a decent handgun, with an excellent price. I have never used or shot any of Hi Points other weapons, only the C9 9mm that I own, so, I can honestly say, I cannot comment on how "good" or "bad" Hi Points other weapons perform, unlike others, who just seem to know everything about every gun, even if they have never actually shot one. I say, proof is in the pudding.

I like mine, it is pretty accurate, and I am not even that good of a shooter.
Is it ugly...yes, it is not a pretty as some pistols, but, its kinda like the ugly duckling that turns into a Swan, as once you have one, it grows on you.

I have one original 10 rd mag that came with the gun 6 years ago when I bought, and it needs a new spring, so I got a (1) FTF today. Mags is worn, not the guns fault.
The three 8 round mags I have are newer, and no issues with those.

Shooting new factory brass cased ammo, at an indoor range today shooting 102 rounds total on 2/21/2010
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/ledman/pistols022.jpg

Also shooting indoors, My Glock 19 no issues w/ new factory brass cased ammo shooting 104 rounds today 2/21/2010.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v103/ledman/pistols024.jpg

The glock is lighter, and a smaller frame than the Hi point, but, I really do not think an intruder would really care which one I point at him, as at that point, to him, a gun is a gun, and I would not hesitate to use my Hi point.

Really, I think all the "hate" towards Hi Point comes from people who have never actually used one. They just jump on the band wagon of Hi Point haters, just so they can be "cool" and not be afraid to admit that they could like a cheap handgun, and I mean, cheap in price only.

Are there better guns out there than a Hi Point? Of course there are...but, if you are on a budget and looking to start shooting, a Hi Point 9mm would be a good choice, IMO to get shooting.

Once you get more money or just want to upgrade, get a Glock, a HK, or a Sig, whatever you like...it's your choice, if you have the money, start with a more expensive model.

Do not let anyone tell you what you like is "bad" or "no good" based on there biased opinions, get real advice from someone who has actually used, preferably owned the weapon you are looking to aquire. It is your money, spend it as you wish.

Hi Point is made in the USA, and has a lifetime warranty...and I have never had to use that warranty in the 6 years I have owned mine but it is nice to know that it is there, if I ever do need it.

STREETWERKZ
02-21-2010, 11:43 PM
great post ledman. I was looking at a glock 26 9mm for home defense and something my wife could use but i'm rethinking these hi-points. hmmm... :confused: