PDA

View Full Version : OK, just got the answer...

45user
02-12-2010, 9:58 AM
Suppose one owns a collapsible M1 carbine stock from a while ago. What is the legality of owning a collapsible stock without rifle in CA?
Thanks,

PEBKAC
02-12-2010, 10:02 AM
It's a part...no issues until you actually install it on a centerfire rifle.

Once installed on a centerfire rifle, obviously there will be AW laws to get around (given the forward grips and collapsing stock, a bullet button or mag lock of some sort would be needed), but barring that there should not be any problems just owning or selling it, even in CA.

bwiese
02-12-2010, 10:02 AM
You are free to own it, separate from the gun.

You are free to sell it to someone for legal use. He may want to repair his registered AW, or he may want to use it while out of state (install, deinstall before return to CA).

A person could also use this on a fixed-10rd-magazine configuration (i.e, nondetachable magazine using something like a BulletButton latching maglock).

I wouldn't go around driving with both it and the M1 Carbine at the same time - even though legal, it's unwise cop-bait.

BTW, it's generally best to ask questions, given who also reads these forums, not as, "I have this XYZ, is this legal?" -- but instead posed as a hypothetical: "Suppose one were to have XYZ, would he be in trouble? Could he sell it?" Small but important difference in certain matters.

CAL.BAR
02-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Selling a piece of wood? Fine The illegal part would be putting it on an unregistered M1.

Cokebottle
02-12-2010, 10:06 AM
I am assuming that OAL with that stock collapsed would be over 26" with any barrel/receiver combination that you own?

If not, then owning it would be constructive possession of an SBR.

45user
02-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the answers and a quick advice.:cool:

marc4
02-12-2010, 2:20 PM
So a C&R M1 carbine with an original paratrooper folding stock has to be registered as an AW? And I thought C&R's were exempted from this law.
What about those C&R cowboy revolvers that I see in gun shows that have a stock on them? What's the law on those?