PDA

View Full Version : Mapmaker, Mapmaker, make me a map!

jdberger
02-11-2010, 1:13 PM
In preparation for our little shindig in front of the Oakland City Council, I'm creating a database and map of FFLs and ammunition dealers in the counties represented by the Association of Bay Area Governments. The Counties include:

Alameda
Contra Costa
Marin
Napa
San Francisco
San Mateo
Santa Clara
Solano
Sonoma

I have Google Earth (.kml) files designating the FFLs and Ammo dealers already (they may need to be tweaked a little). (edit: these are currently being tweaked)

I also have crime rates for the municipalities represented by ABAG in the above Counties.

I was hoping to get a map of the ABAG counties showing the city borders. Cities would be shaded a certain color to correspond with their crime rate. The worst would be a blood red or something (Oakland).

Then, I'd have an overlay with the locations of FFLs marked on it.
Then, I'd have another overlay with the locations of ammo dealers marked on it.

Ideally, this would be printed on a 24 x 36 or 36 x 48 piece of posterboard (I have a contact for that).

Is there anyone out there who has the skills to take the .kml files and convert them to Acrobat for me? I'm just not that computer savvy.

The object of this exercise is to demonstrate to the OCC that banning/heavily restricting guns and ammo in Oakland (and later in other ABAG cities) is a bad idea. I'll demonstrate that a high number of FFLs and ammo dealers doesn't make a city any safer than one without any FFLs and ammo dealers. In fact, I might be able to demonstrate the converse. :cool2:

Hopefully, a defeat in Oakland will discourage other ABAG governments from drinking the LCAV kool-aide.

If you were ever looking for a place to get involved in the Right to Keep and Bear Arms movement, this is it.

madmike
02-11-2010, 2:34 PM
https://createpdf.adobe.com/

I don't know for sure that they will do that file type, but I've used them for other types, and it worked great.

-madmike.

My375hp302
02-11-2010, 2:34 PM
Perhaps you could do some sort of before and after too. Showing crime rates of ten years ago, and then today to demonstrate how as gun laws get stricter, crime goes up.

Robidouxs
02-11-2010, 4:25 PM
If you can PM me I can get this project going very quickly and have a finished product for you!

obeygiant
02-12-2010, 12:00 AM
FFL's,Ammo Retailers and Gun Shops for the ABAG Counties.

Using Batchgeocode Here (http://www.batchgeocode.com/map/cad96b16531a3a8f009ab747286d9bc6)
Using GPSVisualizer Here (http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/1265965689-03886-66.159.246.133.html)
Google Earth KML file here (https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B7O8lhd3bsBQMzdhN2Y0MGMtYWI1ZS00OTFmLTk0Z TAtMzE0ZjY3Yzg5MjZh&hl=en)

ldivinag
02-12-2010, 1:38 AM
shoot me the data you have so far.

i have an old copy of microsoft mappoint. it's a cheapie kind of GIS tool.

it can generate maps with colors and junk. it can read from excel sheets for data and stuff...

send info to me" gmail me at "ldivinag"... make sense?

ldivinag
02-12-2010, 1:39 AM
for free printer driver to make pdf files:

http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

jdberger
02-12-2010, 8:34 AM

it can generate maps with colors and junk. it can read from excel sheets for data and stuff...

Leo - look up and see if the files obeygiant provided are sufficient.

Robidouxs - will those files above work for you?

I like the idea of two people working on this in parallel - it gives me the opportunity to select the product that will work best for my presentation.

obeygiant
02-12-2010, 8:41 AM
for free printer driver to make pdf files:

http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

I have the full version of Acrobat, so generating the pdf is not a problem. Generating a high resolution map with the county and city lines in bold is a bit of an issue with google maps and google earth.

Uxi
02-12-2010, 8:49 AM
Thought this was going to be showing the school zone insanity.

obeygiant
02-12-2010, 8:52 AM

Sent the link to the google spreadsheet to your gmail.

obeygiant
02-12-2010, 8:53 AM

Nope, that project has been abandoned due to the potential liabilities involved.

goober
02-12-2010, 8:57 AM
don't know if you got things squared but i am a GIS instructor at a CSU and have access to all sorts of high-end GIS software, loads of data, and the expertise to use it. i do GIS and mapping for a living.
i am formally volunteering to be CGN's cartographer/GIS guy if my services are needed.

jdberger
02-12-2010, 9:28 AM

That can be done, too - but it's a project for another day. Would you be interested in compiling a list of all the schools in your County?

wildhawker
02-12-2010, 10:12 AM
I suggest we focus on one thing at a time; the school zone map not only carried substantial risk but is far less time-sensitive than Oakland. Let's work on killing the ordinances.

obeygiant
02-12-2010, 1:00 PM
don't know if you got things squared but i am a GIS instructor at a CSU and have access to all sorts of high-end GIS software, loads of data, and the expertise to use it. i do GIS and mapping for a living.
i am formally volunteering to be CGN's cartographer/GIS guy if my services are needed.

PM sent.

dantodd
02-12-2010, 1:03 PM

WoooHooo!!! A GIS guy is a great asset. I did some in college but have no tools and the skills are weak. Thanks for volunteering. I'm sure ObeyGiant will get you rolling.

obeygiant
02-12-2010, 1:32 PM
here's one

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7039/abagcounties.th.jpg (http://img688.imageshack.us/i/abagcounties.jpg/)

obeygiant
02-12-2010, 1:33 PM
WoooHooo!!! A GIS guy is a great asset. I did some in college but have no tools and the skills are weak. Thanks for volunteering. I'm sure ObeyGiant will get you rolling.

no kidding! he will be a tremendous asset.

jdberger
02-12-2010, 2:01 PM
here's one

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7039/abagcounties.th.jpg (http://img688.imageshack.us/i/abagcounties.jpg/)

Excellent start.

Could the pins designating the FFLs/Ammo dealers be smaller? They obscure parts of the map. Also, they would preferrably be on another layer that could be printed onto a transparency.

Could the municipalities with high MURDER rates be shaded red? Say, any murder rate over 80 per year is Red. Fade to yellow in 10 victims per year increments? I have the data for this (attached).

obeygiant
02-12-2010, 2:40 PM
Excellent start.

Could the pins designating the FFLs/Ammo dealers be smaller? They obscure parts of the map. Also, they would preferrably be on another layer that could be printed onto a transparency.

Could the municipalities with high MURDER rates be shaded red? Say, any murder rate over 80 per year is Red. Fade to yellow in 10 victims per year increments? I have the data for this (attached).

looking to get in contact with goober0 and to see what resources are available to him but in the mean time I will come up with something.

goober
02-12-2010, 4:01 PM
looking to get in contact with goober0 and to see what resources are available to him but in the mean time I will come up with something.

will be in contact... no phone possible at present.

ldivinag
02-12-2010, 4:54 PM
so is goober taking over this project?

i'm not even close to a GIS dude... i just used mappoint once for a faculty member who needed color coded maps... lol...

so i'll happily bow out to the expert...

obeygiant
02-12-2010, 5:14 PM
so is goober taking over this project?

i'm not even close to a GIS dude... i just used mappoint once for a faculty member who needed color coded maps... lol...

so i'll happily bow out to the expert...

neither am I and any help is appreciated.

goober
02-12-2010, 7:39 PM
just got home, will call obeygiant in a few, lets see how i can contribute...
not interested in stepping on toes or grabbing something away from anybody, just want to help.
GIS guru i might be, but everyone has skills and resources that can fill the right bill at the right time...

goober
02-12-2010, 8:55 PM
OK... just had a very productive and encouraging chat with obeygiant... i am all in on this!
he brought me up to speed with the immediate goals and timeline, which are reasonable and less so, respectively. but doable.
he is providing the existing data, and i have those posted in this thread to work with (i can find whatever else i need myself).
i will see what i can come up with. hope to have a draft by tomorrow afternoon/eve.
wheeee, this will be fun! :D

Twystd1
02-12-2010, 9:52 PM
I am looking at some of your work right now...... Dude... you know how to make maps.....

Cheers,
Twystd1

goober
02-13-2010, 2:45 PM
obeygiant and i have been working on this and have something of a draft shaping up
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/8123/violentcrimebycitypopla.th.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/violentcrimebycitypopla.jpg/)

this shows total violent crimes per capita in all the ABAG cities for which we currently have crime data, (working on getting more) as well as distribution of FFLs.
still working out aesthetics so if you have comments, let 'em fly.
this is a draft only.
it is E-size (36"x40"+) so don't worry about label readability and crowding too much. this thing will be printed out MUCH larger than you can see on your monitor.

whatcha think? :D

Librarian
02-13-2010, 3:35 PM
Map looks good.

Usual crime rates are per 100,000, so per capita looks funny. Per 100K might look funny the other direction. Maybe change to per 1,000?

The image zooms beautifully. It also shows clearly the error of the probable claim 'well, it's all the fault of those cities on our border who don't restrict sales the way -we- do' - cities on the border of Oakland really don't have many FFLs, though > 0.

(There's also always the question, 'if the guns from neighboring places make things more violent in OUR place, why don't they do the same in THEIR place?' ; same criticism used against Washington DC and bordering cities in VA and MD.)

What is the FFL in San Leandro? Trader's, IIRC, cannot currently sell guns, though they can sell ammo.

goober
02-13-2010, 3:52 PM
Map looks good.
Thanks!
Usual crime rates are per 100,000, so per capita looks funny. Per 100K might look funny the other direction. Maybe change to per 1,000?
can change it however we need... will just move the decimals over
also playing w/ green to red color ramps now
The image zooms beautifully. It also shows clearly the error of the probable claim 'well, it's all the fault of those cities on our border who don't restrict sales the way -we- do' - cities on the border of Oakland really don't have many FFLs, though > 0.

(There's also always the question, 'if the guns from neighboring places make things more violent in OUR place, why don't they do the same in THEIR place?' ; same criticism used against Washington DC and bordering cities in VA and MD.)

What is the FFL in San Leandro? Trader's, IIRC, cannot currently sell guns, though they can sell ammo.
"Security Six" on Davis St
responses in bold

wildhawker
02-13-2010, 3:53 PM
ETA: FFL is "Security Six" (sp?)

goober
02-13-2010, 4:03 PM
ETA: FFL is "Security Six" (sp?)

Security Six in San Leandro (http://www.securitysix.com/Firearm_Sales_Page.htm)

ldivinag
02-13-2010, 6:32 PM
red isnt BLOOD red enough... :)

goober
02-13-2010, 6:56 PM
red isnt BLOOD red enough... :)

lol we can work on that... new versions have both total violent crime and homicides per 100K and use a green-yellow-red color ramp instead of the yellow-red
will post another once reviews are in

jdberger
02-14-2010, 10:55 AM
The map looks amazing.

I was wondering what the difference in coloring would be if we went bu murder totals instead of rates per 100K. I think that the changes might be pretty dramatic. Could that be experimented with? At about 100 each, San Francisco and Oakland (the city with the ammo ordinance and the city attempting to enact one) would be the "reddest". Neighboring cities wouldn't be close.

Also, I think that I still want to stick with overlays to illustrate the FFLs and ammo dealers.

I'm open to suggestions on the presentation (and would love some ideas).

Amazing work, folks.

Army of Davids....:punk::punk:

Map looks good.

wildhawker
02-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Josh, do you have Google Wave? I will add you so you can see the current discussion and latest edition.

jdberger
02-14-2010, 11:19 AM
i do not have Google Wave...

wildhawker
02-14-2010, 11:24 AM
I sent you an invite and the link.
-BC

goober
02-14-2010, 11:48 AM
The map looks amazing.

I was wondering what the difference in coloring would be if we went bu murder totals instead of rates per 100K. I think that the changes might be pretty dramatic. Could that be experimented with? At about 100 each, San Francisco and Oakland (the city with the ammo ordinance and the city attempting to enact one) would be the "reddest". Neighboring cities wouldn't be close.

Also, I think that I still want to stick with overlays to illustrate the FFLs and ammo dealers.

I'm open to suggestions on the presentation (and would love some ideas).

Amazing work, folks.

Army of Davids....:punk::punk:

thanks Josh.
putting final touches on now after wildhawker and obeygiant's reviews... your input is welcome and highly valued as well, of course.
regarding the use of actual homicide numbers rather than standardizing by population (per 100K), that is a big no-no, as it is meaningless at best, or misleading at worst. if numbers are reported w/o respect to population, then there is no way to know if you simply have more (or less) of something just b/c there are more people (or area). the only way to make sense out of the absolute numbers is to turn them into rates. hope this makes sense.
we can do physical overlays if thats really what you want for dramatic presentation effect. printing will be more work of course. but i can produce the final pdfs both w/ and w/o the FFL pinmap layer on it if needed.

goober
02-14-2010, 1:23 PM
Current draft version
Changes since last version posted here:

Title changed
Text box w/ discussion and data citation added
Symbology tweaked
new 2007 homicide and pop data used
Probably other stuff I can't remember

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/goob0/CGN_GIS/th_2007_homicides_vs_ffl_landscape_Edr.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/goob0/CGN_GIS/?action=view&current=2007_homicides_vs_ffl_landscape_Edr.jpg)

Get any comments/suggestions in ASAP, were getting close to our deadline on this one.

jdberger
02-14-2010, 1:30 PM
Overlays are definitely preferred. My printer is prepared for them. Just the FFLs and ammo dealers.

goober
02-14-2010, 1:42 PM
Overlays are definitely preferred. My printer is prepared for them. Just the FFLs and ammo dealers.

Okaaaaay.
Just an idea, but i can also just give you a version w/ and w/o the FFLs... so you flip to the one w/ rather than flipping a transparency onto the original one... Just a thought.

Shall I remove the FFLs annotation in the legend, or leave it?

Any comments on the most recent draft other than remove the FFLs & retain for overlay?

What size is this thing going to be? Current version is E.
Do you want a CGN logo on it or not?

jdberger
02-14-2010, 4:42 PM
Sorry for the blackout, Goober. I think that you're correct in that not having to flip a transparancy is better.

So- let's leave the FFL annotation in the legend of the one with the FFLs.

This is going to be 24x36 (but let me check with my printer to be sure).

A CGN logo is a great idea if we can clear it with Brandon.

wildhawker
02-14-2010, 4:53 PM
I would strongly suggest a full sized E sheet print if at all possible; text on 24x36 will be difficult to discern.

As far as the logo goes, my first impression is that its presence may hurt perception as to the credibility of the presentation. If that's a non-issue, I'll shoot goober the .tif/eps tonight.

goober
02-14-2010, 4:56 PM
Sorry for the blackout, Goober. I think that you're correct in that not having to flip a transparancy is better.

So- let's leave the FFL annotation in the legend of the one with the FFLs.

This is going to be 24x36 (but let me check with my printer to be sure).

A CGN logo is a great idea if we can clear it with Brandon.

no worries on the response time.
roger that on the transparency thing. i will produce a version with and without the FFLs on it. you can start with the no FFL version visible and the other behind it on your easel or whatever, and then turn the page to the FFL one at the desired dramatic moment. the maps will be identical except for the added layer, so the effect will be the same.
i'll wait until i hear back regarding the final size before exporting in your preferred format. will that be (i assume) pdf?
i'll also wait to see if a logo will be added.
i'm looking forward to hear the reports of how the meeting goes. wish i could be there to see it in person :)

rolex87
02-14-2010, 5:00 PM
ive worked with GIS as I am a geography major at CSUS, and this would have made a great senior project this semester...

goober
02-14-2010, 5:03 PM
I would strongly suggest a full sized E sheet print if at all possible; text on 24x36 will be difficult to discern.

As far as the logo goes, my first impression is that its presence may hurt perception as to the credibility of the presentation. If that's a non-issue, I'll shoot goober the .tif/eps tonight.

i can print E or bigger, the only issue would be getting the hardcopy to jdberger in time.
if jdberger or his agent can print E, i'll leave it as-is. otherwise i will plot it myself or we'll downsize.
i'll wait to hear about the logo. i can see where there might be pro and con sides to putting it on, depending on the audience and the desired effect, which is why i held off including it. just let me know, and provide the media if needed, and i'll stick it on there (or not).

goober
02-14-2010, 5:05 PM
ive worked with GIS as I am a geography major at CSUS, and this would have made a great senior project this semester...
good for you! (i teach GIS at another CSU)...
we'll add you to the growing list of CalGunners with geospatial skills and a desire to help with this sort of work! :D
(unless you request otherwise, that is)

jdberger
02-14-2010, 5:11 PM
42" wide is the max according to my printer.

If it would be better larger, perhaps you could print and FEDEX. I'll cover costs....

wildhawker
02-14-2010, 5:27 PM
We could also try and ping Frank (zebra); I think he has local access to SF large format plotters and production.

oaklander
02-14-2010, 5:29 PM
That map is intense!!!

Can someone email me the final version in gif, png or jpg when it is ready?

I want to post it on my blog!!!

goober
02-14-2010, 5:46 PM
42" wide is the max according to my printer.

If it would be better larger, perhaps you could print and FEDEX. I'll cover costs....

E size is 32"x44" which can be printed on your 42" plotter no problem (the paper is on a roll so the 44" dim is not an issue). we could even go bigger, but to keep it safe and simple we'll stick with E.

jdberger
02-14-2010, 7:17 PM
Ok - E size will work then (I hope). Hopefully this can get done tomorrow. My printer is currently in DC romancing his new wife. I sent him a text telling him to get lots of SLEEP 'cause I'll need him tomorrow. ;)

obeygiant
02-14-2010, 7:28 PM
Ok - E size will work then (I hope). Hopefully this can get done tomorrow. My printer is currently in DC romancing his new wife. I sent him a text telling him to get lots of SLEEP 'cause I'll need him tomorrow. ;)

Maybe these guys would be worth checking out?

Pro Copy and Printing (http://www.procopyandprinting.com/Large_Format_Color_Printing.html)
1309 Franklin Street
Oakland, CA 94612-3207

http://www.procopyandprinting.com/image/23033442.gif

goober
02-14-2010, 7:28 PM
worst case i can plot it myself tomorrow sometime and drive or fedex it up... but giving you a pdf and having your guy print it would be preferable for me (obviously) :cool:

jdberger
02-14-2010, 7:36 PM
Let's see where we are in the morning.

Ben - I'm in SF and my printer gives me a LARGE discount - so I'm partial to him.

Fedex deadline for Tuesday delivery should be 8PM Monday - so we have some time to work with....

wildhawker
02-14-2010, 7:40 PM
Understanding that you have a primary option, if something falls through and you need a secondary option my FIL does very large scale photo prints in house (aerial photo/IR) . I would need to know by Monday at 5p to get it done and picked up on Tuesday.

obeygiant
02-14-2010, 7:41 PM
Let's see where we are in the morning.

Ben - I'm in SF and my printer gives me a LARGE discount - so I'm partial to him.

Fedex deadline for Tuesday delivery should be 8PM Monday - so we have some time to work with....

Understood. Just in case though, this one is 3 miles from your office.

Geary Print Shop (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=3+Embarcadero+Center,+San+Francisco,+Califor nia+94111&daddr=3000+Geary+Boulevard,+San+Francisco,+CA+9411 8-3315+(Geary+Print+Shop)&hl=en&geocode=FYS0QAIdjl20-Ck7wI8XYYCFgDGT1oHRECWV_g%3BFTiCQAIdM4uz-CFEZf4FP8-fEilNhZLvNYeFgDGya7tXU0HYGg&view=text&gl=us&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=37.788606,-122.424223&sspn=0.047413,0.086002&ie=UTF8&ll=37.788353,-122.427177&spn=0.021434,0.086002&t=h&z=14&layer=c&cbll=37.782055,-122.451135&panoid=jUshQ8Z8LePYL1KvDFuTQA&cbp=11,261.75,,0,5)
3000 Geary Boulevard
San Francisco, CA 94118-3315
(415) 751-1212‎

pitchbaby
02-14-2010, 7:47 PM
That map is awesome! May I post it on my Facebook account?

obeygiant
02-14-2010, 7:48 PM
That map is awesome! May I post it on my Facebook account?

Not yet. After the council meeting if approved then maybe.

pitchbaby
02-14-2010, 7:49 PM
Cool, I'll keep tabs here in the meantime.

obeygiant
02-14-2010, 7:50 PM
Cool, I'll keep tabs here in the meantime.

Thank you. We don't want to tip our hat to the other side. ;)

jdberger
02-14-2010, 8:10 PM

Let's do the logo ... small and lower corner (assuming it's ok with everyone).

Let them know which bear they're poking.

Rule 1: Power is not only what you have, but what an opponent thinks you have. If your organization is small, hide your numbers in the dark and raise a din that will make everyone think you have many more people than you do.

goober
02-14-2010, 10:51 PM
logo placed, title altered slightly... exports being made
we'll have this thing in your hands ready to go to printer by morning...
:D

jdberger
02-14-2010, 10:54 PM
Sweet!

:King:

wildhawker
02-14-2010, 11:15 PM
I just have to say that goober has created a tremendous (magnificent looking) tool to educate not only Oakland CC but others also. Obeygiant's enormous amount of research and database work made this not only possible but factual and supportable. Finally, my hat is off to one hell of a project leader in jdberger, who had the vision and courage to make this happen in a short timeframe. Bravo, friends!

pitchbaby
02-14-2010, 11:24 PM
I just have to say that goober has created a tremendous (magnificent looking) tool to educate not only Oakland CC but others also. Obeygiant's enormous amount of research and database work made this not only possible but factual and supportable. Finally, my hat is off to one hell of a project leader in jdberger, who had the vision and courage to make this happen in a short timeframe. Bravo, friends!

AGREED... BRAVO for sure!

goober
02-15-2010, 12:04 AM

aw shux... it was all obeygiant's data gathering & processing that made it possible... even the stuff that i went out and got on my own was superseded by better info he dug up and merged together.
wildhawker and Librarian also offered crucial guidance and input.
and jdberger was the puppeteer making it all happen...
i just plopped stuff onto a page... :p

obeygiant
02-15-2010, 12:45 AM
aw shux... it was all obeygiant's data gathering & processing that made it possible... even the stuff that i went out and got on my own was superseded by better info he dug up and merged together.
wildhawker and Librarian also offered crucial guidance and input.
and jdberger was the puppeteer making it all happen...
i just plopped stuff onto a page... :p

it was a team effort but you're expertise in GIS/mapping is what really shaped this into a map that was worth presenting.

goober
02-15-2010, 9:08 AM
it's a wrap.
zipfile w/ pdf versions of final maps posted and emails sent to jdberger & other participants.
knock 'em dead, jdberger! :D

jdberger
02-15-2010, 3:08 PM
Y'all rock.

Lets hope my "chest pumping" works out.....

obeygiant
02-15-2010, 3:12 PM
Y'all rock.

Were you able to get them printed?

goober
02-15-2010, 3:29 PM
Y'all rock.

Were you able to get them printed?

i'm interested as well.... as i said i can print but need to know if so.

jdberger
02-15-2010, 4:00 PM
Waiting on confirmation from my vendor. He's somewhere over Kansas right now.

goober
02-15-2010, 4:04 PM
you need these maps in hand tomorrow at what time?
seems like its getting down to the wire, what's the backup plan if your vendor can't do it?
(sorry, not trying to be pushy... just askin')

jdberger
02-15-2010, 4:09 PM
NLT than 4pm.

I'll start formulating a plan B now.....wait one...

jdberger
02-16-2010, 8:40 AM
Vendor is printing.....

Oldbud
02-16-2010, 9:14 AM
For those who have been following this thread, and who would love to be present to provide support in Oakland but are geographically challenged to do so, is there a sample of the latest version of the presentation map?

I commend the work of those who very quickly came together to create the map that has been shared so far.

goober
02-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Vendor is printing.....

awesome, great to hear! thanks for the update :)
looking forward to hear how it goes in the meeting. break a leg! :D

For those who have been following this thread, and who would love to be present to provide support in Oakland but are geographically challenged to do so, is there a sample of the latest version of the presentation map?

I commend the work of those who very quickly came together to create the map that has been shared so far.

thanks for the kind words. final version will be posted here shortly.

wildhawker
02-16-2010, 11:08 AM
I think the map will be made public post-CC meeting.

dantodd
02-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Goober, are you from Georgia?