PDA

View Full Version : Vallejo police advise citizens against arming themselves

SgtDinosaur
02-11-2010, 9:43 AM
The Fud and BS in this article is really annoying.

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/news/ci_14379903

By Rachel Raskin-Zrihen
Posted: 02/11/2010 01:20:23 AM PST

Fearful Vallejo residents thinking about arming themselves after a rash of violent crime may be jumping the gun, police said.

Police Department spokesman Abel Tenorio said he has read online comments from people saying they're alarmed and may arm themselves -- something police don't recommend.

"The Constitution allows citizens who are not otherwise prohibited from having a gun to have a firearm in their home," Vallejo Police Department Support Services Manager Bill Powell said. "But we don't want any kind of tragedy to occur because someone got a gun and they're not familiar with it."

Unless you're licensed to carry one, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon, including some knives, Tenorio said.

However, state law does not bar people from carrying an unloaded firearm.

The Penal Code defines a loaded firearm as one where "there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including ... the firing chamber, magazine, or clip."

The so-called Open Carry movement has become a Bay Area issue. In recent months, advocates have been more vocal in some local communities in support of changing the law to legally carry loaded weapons.

As for knives, carrying them legally depends a lot on their size and style.

State law bans most people from possessing "any dirk, dagger, ice pick or knife having a blade longer than 2 1/2 inches, folding knife with a blade that locks into place, a razor with an unguarded blade, a Taser, or a stun gun."

In the past 10 days in Vallejo there has been a widely publicized beating and robbery of a city worker, as well as two homicides, three shootings and several stabbings.

While some may be frightened, no one they know of has called the police department seeking advice on how to stay safe, the police officials said.

"We've gotten a number of general inquiry calls -- what is the police department doing? -- and we're telling them that we continue to respond to emergency calls based on priority," Powell said.

Powell acknowledged, "it's harder to get in touch with us these days, but we have the alternative ways to report non-emergencies to free officers up to respond to emergencies."

Residents should remember that a week or even two does not necessarily a crime wave make, the officials said.

Tenorio cited some general precautions people can take to help ensure their safety.

"We're suggesting people be more cautious about when they go out -- and this is not specific to Vallejo, but everywhere," Tenorio said. "Be aware of your surroundings, follow your gut feelings. If your gut feeling says to leave someplace, then leave.

"And be especially careful at night. Park in lighted areas. Walk in groups at night if you can. Have your cell phone ready to call police if you're walking alone." Having an alarm installed at one's home also is not a bad idea, he said.

"Also, start a neighborhood watch," Tenorio said. "Have interior and exterior lights on a timer, put a 'beware of dog' sign up, even if you don't have a dog."

Patty Walters of Vallejo's Standard Burglar Alarms, said inquiries about alarm systems are up.

"There is definitely an increase in requests for estimates and quotes for installing alarm systems," she said. "People are saying they don't feel safe -- that it's dangerous to be without some kind of protection."

But calls to the firm started increasing several months ago and have not noticeably spiked in the past week, Walters said. "It started when the Police Department started cutting personnel," she said.

Chris Denke of Vallejo's Hall's Safe Lock & Alarms said he has noticed an uptick in inquiries in the past week, but no increase in purchases, at least not yet.

Police acknowledge the spate of high-profile violent crimes Vallejo has suffered in recent days is troubling. Though crime is usually down in winter, short crime spikes are not unprecedented, Tenorio said.

"I think we have to look at a longer period," he said. "One week could just be a bad week. If it's still going on in two weeks or a month, then we'll have a serious issue and have to look at what's happening."

bigstick61
02-11-2010, 9:51 AM
Well I guess this pretty much confirms that there is no chance in hell they'll issue CCW permits to any normal folk until they get sued or otherwise forced. I'm really tired of hearing this sort of stuff from law enforcement agencies, too, and it doesn't help that I've also heard rank and file cops say the same FUD.

CABilly
State law bans most people from possessing "any dirk, dagger, ice pick or knife having a blade longer than 2 1/2 inches, folding knife with a blade that locks into place, a razor with an unguarded blade, a Taser, or a stun gun."

This reeks of FUD. Aren't all of those legal to own?

ocspeedracer
I like how they acknowledge that they are less able to deal with the issues but still encourage people to not arm themselves.

Wait for the government to protect you. Tell that to the people who've been killed.

CABilly
02-11-2010, 9:53 AM
And when was the last time anyone tried calling 911 from a cell phone? The last few times I've tried, I got busy signals for about 5 minutes before just giving up.

PEBKAC
02-11-2010, 9:57 AM
And when was the last time anyone tried calling 911 from a cell phone? The last few times I've tried, I got busy signals for about 5 minutes before just giving up.
Worse yet, I get the impression that in some cases your call ends up going to a dispatch somewhat less than local if you are using a cell phone. I believe that for 911 calls in my area from my cell/carrier, we actually get directed to somewhere across the bay.

SgtDinosaur
02-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Worse yet, I get the impression that in some cases your call ends up going to a dispatch somewhat less than local if you are using a cell phone. I believe that for 911 calls in my area from my cell/carrier, we actually get directed to somewhere across the bay.

I've heard it's better to program your department's phone number into your cell phone rather than 911 precisely because of that problem. Not that it matters here in Vallejo where no one would answer the phone anyway.

PatriotnMore
02-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Any department that tells the citizenry not to be armed is wrong. It is your right to be armed, and by extension, they are telling you not to exercise a right explicitly spelled out in the Constitution.

SgtDinosaur
02-11-2010, 10:02 AM

Yes. Lies, lies, and more lies.

Neuvik
02-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Wow...I can't wait till the end of this month. We have what, 108 uniformed officers for what size population?

And their telling us to not arm ourselfs!? I hope they can see my finger, because I presenting as hard as I can!

Triple A's is decently priced (well, sorta) and I found their staff to be helpful.

SgtDinosaur
02-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Read the comments in the link to the article. Some of us have been having a field day with this. You can guess who I am.

BigDogatPlay
02-11-2010, 10:07 AM
911 from a cell phone goes to CHP, almost exclusively.

State law bans most people from possessing .... folding knife with a blade that locks into place.... "

Whaaaaaat? So are they saying the Kershaw Blur that I carry every single day where ever I go is illegal now?

Sorry but.... BWAAAAAHAAAAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAAH!!!!

Roadrunner
02-11-2010, 10:20 AM
It's easy for the cops to tell everyone not to arm themselves when they can carry a firearm 24/7.

Dragunov
02-11-2010, 10:47 AM
"Don't arm yourselves"

Oh REALLY now!.....

Here is a little something from the night before last that happened to me. It is copied and pasted from another board I hang out on:

Me:

Some idiot is firing off a .22 and a 9mm in my neighborhood right now! I called the cops over 45 minutes ago and NO RESPONSE YET!!! This isn't normal here and my youngest daughter is a couple of doors down. I called her and told her to stay put until further notice. I'm not scared but I'm pretty pissed at the cops right now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Piper
The police aren't responding to gunfire? WTF?

Me:

Not yet, Antelope (Sheriffs jurasdiction) about 15 mi. North of Sac.
This neighborhood is getting crazy this year.

And NOPE!! No frikkin' cops YET! I just loaded my SKS "just in case".

This is BS!

Not only that, I HEARD the 911 operator TELL the idiot sheriff SHOTS FIRED. and She (sheriff) confirmed.

I'm repulsed!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

They NEVER DID SHOW UP!!! Can you believe it??

Better arm yourselves.

SJgunguy24
02-11-2010, 10:51 AM
That takes some sack to tell people not to arm themselves especially when some of those cops are waiting for the axe to fall.:rolleyes:

The worst part....people listen to that while their neighbor is planning a funeral for his son/daughter.

The police are not a deterrant to criminals and an unarmed populous makes for easy pickings.

ZombieTactics
02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
..."But we don't want any kind of tragedy to occur because someone got a gun and they're not familiar with it." ... I do share the concern for people buying guns and not becoming reasonably familiar with them. It's still their right to be stupid, but I wish everyone would take a basic NRA course or something. Even so, accidental gun deaths are quite rare, so this also qualifies as an exaggerated concern.

The rest of this stuff was pure crap.

PatriotnMore
02-11-2010, 11:30 AM
I agree, however.... would it not be a better statement for the community and business in general to state, we know people are frightened and exercising their right to be armed is expected however, we would encourage people who have not fired their weapon in a long time, and new gun owners to take a refresher class in handling and shooting. In fact our police force will be offering a limited amount of classes for X dollars to help facilitate responsible gun ownership?

I do share the concern for people buying guns and not becoming reasonably familiar with them. It's still their right to be stupid, but I wish everyone would take a basic NRA course or something. Even so, accidental gun deaths are quite rare, so this also qualifies as an exaggerated concern.

Nevermore
02-11-2010, 11:33 AM
This from a city that declared bankruptcy not too long ago.

"We can't afford to defend you... but you shouldn't take it upon yourselves, either!"

calnurse
02-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Got donuts?

Aldemar
02-11-2010, 11:41 AM
When seconds count the police will be at your side in:

a) Seconds
b) Minutes
c) Hours
d) Days
e) That's an old call, forget it, whatever was going to happen has already happened

Feel free to add to this list.

Bud Fox
02-11-2010, 11:42 AM
As a considerate, and law abiding "person", I have a 12 Gauge double barrel next to my bed. I don't have my .308, and reason I don't is because someone that wants to do harm to me or my family must deal with the consequences not my neighbor, because we all know what .308 does. Just saying.

k1dude
02-11-2010, 11:45 AM
That takes some sack to tell people not to arm themselves especially when some of those cops are waiting for the axe to fall.:rolleyes:

I suspect they're walking the PC line right now. If they told the populace to arm themselves, they'd be the very next name on the chopping block. Right now, if you told every cop in Vallejo to join the communist party and wear gorilla suits in order to keep their jobs, I suspect they would.

yellowfin
02-11-2010, 11:51 AM
I wonder how far this can be pursued as negligence.

SgtDinosaur
02-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I agree, however.... would it not be a better statement for the community and business in general to state, we know people are frightened and exercising their right to be armed is expected however, we would encourage people who have not fired their weapon in a long time, and new gun owners to take a refresher class in handling and shooting. In fact our police force will be offering a limited amount of classes for X dollars to help facilitate responsible gun ownership?

Man, that's a good idea. That's why it would never fly here in the land of morons.

CCWFacts
02-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Well I guess this pretty much confirms that there is no chance in hell they'll issue CCW permits to any normal folk until they get sued or otherwise forced.

That's just the way it is in California. I'm sure there's some heinous stuff in their CCW files, and obviously they can see the equation that links legal losses to layoffs, so they could be susceptible to being beaten over the head with a cluestick.

"The Constitution allows citizens who are not otherwise prohibited from having a gun to have a firearm in their home," Vallejo Police Department Support Services Manager Bill Powell said.

Ah, cool! He's already assuming we're going to win McDonnald!

"But we don't want any kind of tragedy to occur because someone got a gun and they're not familiar with it."

I agree with him on that also! Everyone who wants to get a gun should take, as a bare minimum, the NRA's 2-hour (?) intro class.

It's easy for the cops to tell everyone not to arm themselves when they can carry a firearm 24/7.

Yeah, they can carry 24x7, in all 50 states, with any handgun they want (safe list or not), with any magazines they want, and they can own AWs at home. But, guns are bad! We shouldn't use guns to protect ourselves! We don't need them!

Yeah, gotta admire their nerve!

PatriotnMore
02-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Yeah, we would not want to do what is right, responsible, and encourage people to be responsible gun owners. It's far easier to promote reliance on a police force who is in no way legally required to protect you or your property.

Man, that's a good idea. That's why it would never fly here in the land of morons.

Gray Peterson
02-11-2010, 12:12 PM
I think I may have generated this news story. Considering the recent crime spike, I emailed a PRAR request to Vallejo to ask them their policy. Lots of illegal stuff in it (in regards to state law).

Considering that Vallejo is bankrupt, we may have a window to ease CCW permit issuance.

Full Clip
02-11-2010, 12:20 PM
"And be especially careful at night. Park in lighted areas. Walk in groups at night if you can. Have your cell phone ready to call police if you're walking alone." Having an alarm installed at one's home also is not a bad idea, he said....

I'll translate: "Live in fear."
Good alternative to rightly arming yourself, eh?

shark92651
02-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Can you even buy a folding knife with a blade that does not lock into place? I remember seeing these when I was a kid with the crappy swiss army knife clones and crappy "camping" knives. Luckily they were usually so dull I didn't get cut when it collapsed onto my fingers while whittling.

jdberger
02-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Swiss Armys still have non-locking blades.

dantodd
02-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Luckily they were usually so dull I didn't get cut when it collapsed onto my fingers while whittling.

You should look toward your own technique as the culprit if you've had a knife close on your hand while whittling. You aren't doing it properly, possibly because it was so dull. There's a saying in kitchens that sharp knives are safe knives.

HAVOC5150
02-11-2010, 1:03 PM
I think I may have generated this news story. Considering the recent crime spike, I emailed a PRAR request to Vallejo to ask them their policy. Lots of illegal stuff in it (in regards to state law).

Considering that Vallejo is bankrupt, we may have a window to ease CCW permit issuance.

Good luck with that idea. The city of Vallejo is ran by a bunch of left wing school teachers, who would rather give out a business permit for a new smoke shop than a retail store like Wally World who can generate some real tax revenue for the city.

CCWFacts
02-11-2010, 1:09 PM

No surprise there. I have the feeling that the vast majority of cities in this state have stinky policies, and have Nigerian-style application of those policies.

Anyone who lives there should carefully prepare an app, apply, and then sue. It is probably a wide-open window for well-prepared applications that can be backed up by suits.

jehall01
02-11-2010, 2:14 PM
Is there anyone in Vallejo that is willing to apply like CCWFacts stated.

Draankol
02-11-2010, 2:24 PM
"We've gotten a number of general inquiry calls -- what is the police department doing? -- and we're telling them that we continue to respond to emergency calls based on priority," Powell said.

So once again, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I thought we had recently (or not so recently) established that the police were under NO DUTY to protect the citizenry, yet the warn against arming yourself to defend your life and loved ones in an obviously hostile environment.

Just goes to show that the number one priority for people in power, is to keep that power.

doc1buc
02-11-2010, 2:35 PM
Just disgusting, stay calm, drink the kool aid, and be good little sheeple. I feel sorry for the few good people left in Vallejo but I can't feel pity for dirtbags dragging that city down, police included. I hope when Vallejo swallows itself in anarchy, the friggin elitist progressives all over realize you can't HUG everyone into the "movement". Just disgusting.

steel-cut
02-11-2010, 2:40 PM
Wait for the government to protect you. Tell that to the people who've been killed.

and their families.

Smokeybehr
02-11-2010, 2:47 PM
911 from a cell phone goes to CHP, almost exclusively.

Not any more, depending on where you are. When I call from inside the city limits, it goes to PD. When I'm out in the county, it can go to either CHP or to SO, depending on what part of the county I'm in. Usually they can do a good job of pinpointing your location via E911 Phase2, and can fix your location within 50 meters.

PaperPuncher
02-11-2010, 2:58 PM
I wonder what the implications would be if citizens started arming themselves and the crime actually went down.

Something to think about...

pitchbaby
02-11-2010, 3:03 PM
I've been following this thread since it started.... and I can't keep it inside any more.... this kind of stuff just makes me feel sick inside.... AS IF.... they think they do so good at protecting people!!! Unbelievable! Maybe we need to plan a "FREE" NRA Gun Safety Training Weekend in Vallejo in direct protest to VPD's remarks!

WokMaster1
02-11-2010, 3:06 PM
I wonder what the implications would be if citizens started arming themselves and the crime actually went down.

Something to think about...

PD will be out of a job. Don't think the Police Union would want that.

Weigh in

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/vallejo-times-herald/THD66A4THN4QI1PDM

steel-cut
02-11-2010, 3:15 PM
I've been following this thread since it started.... and I can't keep it inside any more.... this kind of stuff just makes me feel sick inside.... AS IF.... they think they do so good at protecting people!!! Unbelievable! Maybe we need to plan a "FREE" NRA Gun Safety Training Weekend in Vallejo in direct protest to VPD's remarks!

You know, that is a brilliant idea. How do we as members get the NRA to recognize the value in this and actually make it happen.

pitchbaby
02-11-2010, 3:19 PM
All we would need is NRA certified instructors willing to donate the time. Beyond that, the participants would not need to have their own firearms, but due to possible liability issue's it might be wise to have them bring their own anyway.

The only other thing would be to get a local range to donate time and space for the live fire sessions. In fact, if we got enough instructor's.... it could be done in separate "modules" of instruction to help ease the burden of teaching a possible large turnout.

dantodd
02-11-2010, 3:23 PM
I've been following this thread since it started.... and I can't keep it inside any more.... this kind of stuff just makes me feel sick inside.... AS IF.... they think they do so good at protecting people!!! Unbelievable! Maybe we need to plan a "FREE" NRA Gun Safety Training Weekend in Vallejo in direct protest to VPD's remarks!You know, that is a brilliant idea. How do we as members get the NRA to recognize the value in this and actually make it happen.

It would be pretty awesome for CalGuns and/or NRA to put together "Self-defense" events. It might be a great way to get larger numbers of law abiding gun owners together. I'm sure if they were scheduled near high crime cities and publicized as a response to escalating crime rates and budget reductions it could get some press. Just be sure to include a BBQ and invite the local PD and politicos, this should be done cooperatively as I am SURE they are also interested in having their citizens be familiar with the safe handling of firearms.

pitchbaby
02-11-2010, 3:27 PM
WOW.... I am glad to see this little idea of mine is well received! The BBQ thing is actually exactly what I had envisioned too! I'll bring the soda pop if we can get this thing off the ground.

Beyond that, if it doesn't expose me to any un-desirable liability, I'd even be willing to donate a couple hundred rounds of ammo... but I'll let the lawyers here weigh in on if that could be a problem.

Cool Hand Luke
02-11-2010, 3:28 PM
Why are people getting up in arms over a horribly titled news article? The cop never advised against arming yourself. He said don't do it if you are not familiar with your weapon, AND HE'S RIGHT! You guys should be mad at the misleading title of the news article, not what the cop said. http://www.techimo.com/images/img2/smilies/rolleyes.gif

Vallejo Police Department Support Services Manager Bill Powell said. "But we don't want any kind of tragedy to occur because someone got a gun and they're not familiar with it."

shark92651
02-11-2010, 3:32 PM
Why are people getting up in arms over a horribly titled news article? The cop never advised against arming yourself. He said don't do it if you are not familiar with your weapon, AND HE'S RIGHT! You guys should be mad at the misleading title of the news article, not what the cop said. http://www.techimo.com/images/img2/smilies/rolleyes.gif

The cop also told the parrot that wrote the story that folding knives with blades that lock back and stun guns are illegal for "most people" by state law. The cop is guilty of telling lies and FUD to the journalist and the journalist is guilty of parroting those statements rather than doing some actual fact checking. Plenty of blame for both, imo.

Cool Hand Luke
02-11-2010, 3:52 PM
The cop also told the parrot that wrote the story that folding knives with blades that lock back and stun guns are illegal for "most people" by state law. The cop is guilty of telling lies and FUD to the journalist and the journalist is guilty of parroting those statements rather than doing some actual fact checking. Plenty of blame for both, imo.

The quotations in the article do not indicate if it's the LEO. To me it looks like the stupid reporter is trying to falsely quote CA penal code.

As for knives, carrying them legally depends a lot on their size and style.

This IS what Tenorio said, and it's not in quotations. Everything he said is 100% true.

Unless you're licensed to carry one, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon, including some knives, Tenorio said.

Kendo671
02-11-2010, 4:01 PM
When the Vallejo police dept. office is closed 2 days a week....It's time for any law abiding citizen to arm themselves.
The VPD are only investigating violent crimes? 100 LEOs for a population of 114,000 or so?
I'm all for helping the good people of Vallejo with a CGN firearm self-defense class.

LTP
02-11-2010, 5:09 PM
All of these are good comments...
but my observations is we are talking to each other ..
in hidden isolation...want to make a difference...?
take these good comments ... even expand on them
remember...its not just the right to own.. in the home..
you and i have the God given right to keep and BEAR arms..
to carry arms...in public.. ( if not a criminal or 5150 or wife beater)
we lawful citizens have that right .. the 2nd am codified it and says that
the government should PROTECT our RKBA not deny it..
so the pd says its ok to have a gun in the home...like its a big
blessing that they are bestowing on us..? and we sit and listen
to this crap and take it without comment or protest...?
no wonder we have lost the way to rkba!
even if we are afraid to ccw because of possible arrest ..
i would not call you chicken or a coward...jails not good..but
but if we dont at the very least .. protest against the theft
of a God given right then we dont deserve to have it..

because a right not excercised loses its strength
its the doctrine of Laches :
if you dont excercise a right it weakens and ceases to exist
so bully for the OC guys... at least they are excercising the rkba
but a right denied by police power (fascism) can be protested...
and such protest if public and strong can preserve to a degree
at least for a while the right to further escalate...
but if we only complain to each other ... in a closed forum..
we are not doing our job of protecting our own rkba...
so write the newspaper...TV station.. police and sheriffs..call them ...
***** and complain...some politely ...some stronger...
(but none with violence).. but do protest
against them when they say these things...
start a petition for ccw in your jurisdiction...

i know all the excuses...etc..
some big rkba attys have asked that other little rkba attys not file
dumb cases while the big cases are pending...
...thats fine as a request i guess.
but some have used that request as an excuse to not do anything..
oh we gotta keep quiet ...the big attys said so..wringing of hands..
well no they didnt say so .. just to attys filing dumb cases...
( and if a guy would stop protest for rkba because some atty said so...
what does that say about him? this is another story)
not talking about filing cases here
talking about keeping the constant rkba protest going,....
so lets speak up not just to each other ... make NOISE...
in the media... direct to the sheriff...call him ..if he wont take the call
leave a stern but professional message of protest ....newspapers..tv..
make up flyers and hand them out...

.............well i suppose i could have said all this a lot shorter.......
i imagine its gonna pissoff some people...
but the mission is too important to remain quiet...

yea yea i know ...excuse # 143 b7 ...it doesnt do any good ...
or we will make trouble...or ..or..
im frustrated by the same feeling...i call , i write, do cardtables..
and its a sorry...sorry state of minds out there...
but if i dont do it .. i dont deserve to ccw
make some noise!... make some noise! make some noise..!

aaaah spit...should i post this mess or delete...post ...delete...post ..delete..
please forgive me folks... just my thoughts..

Roadrunner
02-11-2010, 5:18 PM
Cam Edwards and his guest Jim Gerrity made some interesting points. They were suggesting that when the city can't afford to properly maintain their police department, they need to make cuts that will keep the police department up to strength. They also said that when the city fails to do that, their opinion about how people protect themselves is pretty much irrelevant. I thought I would pass that on.

MP301
02-11-2010, 5:23 PM
The quotations in the article do not indicate if it's the LEO. To me it looks like the stupid reporter is trying to falsely quote CA penal code.

This IS what Tenorio said, and it's not in quotations. Everything he said is 100% true.

Everyone should keep in mind that the media is very rarely accurate in what they say and how they say it. Sometimes they are clueless. Sometimes they are lazy. Sometimes they brush aside or generalize stuff so that it goes along with their agenda, whatever that agenda may be.

It really just makes me LMAO every time someone gets spun at an article when they automatically blame the person being interviewed when they should know better. If they know or like the person being interviewed, they blame the reporter automatically - if they dont know the person being interviewed, they blame interviewee if the message isnt what they want to hear.

That said, the guy didnt say anything wrong or incorrect (cant automatically say the interviewee is the one that tried to quote the penal code and if he did, the reporter most likely screwed it up anyway).

Maybe the message was lost here, but a couple of previous posters touched on it. You might have the right to go get a gun, but I think what they guy was trying to say was that maybe its not such a good idea to run out and buy a gun just because you can without getting some training. Have any of you ever seen someone who is scared of a gun, clueless about it in the first place, and then try to function with it? You just want to slap the dog pee out of them and take it away. Its a hazard for everyone.

Maybe what he was saying should have been worded better, but try figuring out if it was the interviewee that should have worded it better or the reporter.. My guess will usually fall on the reporter directly based on my personal experience - each and every event that I have been involved in or had inside knowledge of was anywhere from 20-80% accurate when reported in the media. And try correcting them and what you might get is some little BS blurb in an obscure part of the paper that they usually screw up as well...

Food for thought...

VW*Mike
02-11-2010, 5:52 PM
Chuck D and Flavor Flav were right 20 years ago, 911 is a joke.

The ONE time I ever used 911 years ago (at the urging of my wife, lucky for them), is when my neighbor was having another party/band practice, at 1am on a weekday. I went over to complain and one of his friends threw a full beer bottle at me from the second story balcony (and missed) took them an hour and a half to show up, and when they did, they didn't do anything other then tell them to keep the noise down. The Sheriff said there wasn't enough evidence, my word against their word the beer fell off the patio railing........... about 6 months later, he go picked up on drug charges, went to federal prison, and the bank took the house HAHAHA. Karma is a mofo.

B Strong
02-11-2010, 5:56 PM

I don't know what would scare them most - my firearms collection or my knife collection.

dantodd
02-11-2010, 6:04 PM
When the Vallejo police dept. office is closed 2 days a week....It's time for any law abiding citizen to arm themselves.
The VPD are only investigating violent crimes? 100 LEOs for a population of 114,000 or so?
I'm all for helping the good people of Vallejo with a CGN firearm self-defense class.

Maybe they should just issue CCWs for the 2 days each week the PD is closed.

IrishPirate
02-11-2010, 6:09 PM
So here's an idea.....can we get some qualified people to offer free firearms safety classes? that would be a HUGE public relations boost for Calguns don't you think? having free Calguns certified firearms safety classes so that the police don't have to worry about people not knowing how to use there guns......it would show how concerned we really are about stopping gun violence too! I'd sign up to get qualified to teach in a heart beat!!!

pitchbaby
02-11-2010, 6:13 PM
So here's an idea.....can we get some qualified people to offer free firearms safety classes? that would be a HUGE public relations boost for Calguns don't you think? having free Calguns certified firearms safety classes so that the police don't have to worry about people not knowing how to use there guns......it would show how concerned we really are about stopping gun violence too! I'd sign up to get qualified to teach in a heart beat!!!

We've been on this idea already in this thread.... I am a fan of the idea for sure. The thing I think might be a challenge though is finding a suitable location nearby to do the live fire session.

cortayack
02-11-2010, 6:32 PM
"The Constitution allows citizens who are not otherwise prohibited from having a gun to have a firearm in their home...

That statement is only half true.....1st the 2A does state who can own a firearm so who are prohibited? 2nd the 2A doesn't say where your firearm should be if you own one...

I think this statement is directed towards UOC! UOC was wrote about in the opinions page the day before....

dantodd
02-11-2010, 6:34 PM
"The Constitution allows citizens who are not otherwise prohibited from having a gun to have a firearm in their home...

That statement is only half true.....1st the 2A does state who can own a firearm so who are prohibited? 2nd the 2A doesn't say where your firearm should be if you own one...

I think this statement is directed towards UOC! UOC was wrote about in the opinions page the day before....

The Constitution, at least the second amendment, doesn't apply in California. Yet!

SgtDinosaur
02-11-2010, 7:14 PM
Maybe the message was lost here, but a couple of previous posters touched on it. You might have the right to go get a gun, but I think what they guy was trying to say was that maybe its not such a good idea to run out and buy a gun just because you can without getting some training. Have any of you ever seen someone who is scared of a gun, clueless about it in the first place, and then try to function with it? You just want to slap the dog pee out of them and take it away. Its a hazard for everyone.

Uh, yeah, I have to agree with you. I think the same way. Some people are "gunnies" and others are not. Some people can't be trusted with a water pistol.

I hope to see some sort of response from VPD on this. If I don't, I will have to believe they at least partly agree with the reporter (and I use that term loosely).

CalNRA
02-11-2010, 9:08 PM
Wow.

That is all.

CharAznable
02-11-2010, 9:20 PM
So this article is claiming that any folding knife that locks in place is illegal? My leatherman is illegal? Yeah, sweetie, I don't think so.

Meanwhile...Vallejo is making it clear a) they can't protect me b) I can't protect my self? Forget liberty and the happiness thing, they don't think I have a right to life.

CalNRA
02-11-2010, 9:23 PM
Any Calgunners who still live in Vallejo, especially those who rent, this may be a good time to take out the family and go to somewhere safer and with more competent law enforcement agencies.

Vallejo has been sinking for a while now. Don't feed the city that just wants to collect money from you for their retirement.

Meplat
02-11-2010, 9:48 PM
They were probably handling 'shots on target' in someones body! But, if they can't handel it all, why tell LACs not to arm themselvs?

"Don't arm yourselves"

Oh REALLY now!.....

Here is a little something from the night before last that happened to me. It is copied and pasted from another board I hang out on:

Me:

Some idiot is firing off a .22 and a 9mm in my neighborhood right now! I called the cops over 45 minutes ago and NO RESPONSE YET!!! This isn't normal here and my youngest daughter is a couple of doors down. I called her and told her to stay put until further notice. I'm not scared but I'm pretty pissed at the cops right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Piper
The police aren't responding to gunfire? WTF?

Me:

Not yet, Antelope (Sheriffs jurasdiction) about 15 mi. North of Sac.
This neighborhood is getting crazy this year.

And NOPE!! No frikkin' cops YET! I just loaded my SKS "just in case".

This is BS!

Not only that, I HEARD the 911 operator TELL the idiot sheriff SHOTS FIRED. and She (sheriff) confirmed.

I'm repulsed!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

They NEVER DID SHOW UP!!! Can you believe it??

Better arm yourselves.

Meplat
02-11-2010, 9:54 PM
You have to pass a handgun safty test to buy one. Admitidly it's kind of lame, but any compitant gun store clerk can tell you how to keep frome harming yourself or others by accident. Cops have more catistrophic ADs than anybody.

I do share the concern for people buying guns and not becoming reasonably familiar with them. It's still their right to be stupid, but I wish everyone would take a basic NRA course or something. Even so, accidental gun deaths are quite rare, so this also qualifies as an exaggerated concern.

50 Freak
02-11-2010, 9:59 PM
"Only I am professional enough to carry this Glock Fortay":43:

Sorry...couldn't resist.

nick
02-11-2010, 10:02 PM
The disgusting part is that lots of people look up to the police, and look for a good, sound advice from it. And this is what they get from the people they expect to be trustworthy.

Meplat
02-11-2010, 10:05 PM
My grandfather was first to tell me dull knives are dangerous. He was an honist to god cowboy not a cook.

You should look toward your own technique as the culprit if you've had a knife close on your hand while whittling. You aren't doing it properly, possibly because it was so dull. There's a saying in kitchens that sharp knives are safe knives.

ilikeguns
02-11-2010, 10:13 PM
screw that. Go buy a gun if you don't own one vallejo!
The crew (police) is in the life boat and is telling the passengers (citizens) to stay put in a sinking ship (vallejo). I used to live there and it sucks.
Gun=life boat...if u didnt catch that

POLICESTATE
02-11-2010, 10:16 PM
You have to pass a handgun safty test to buy one. Admitidly it's kind of lame, but any compitant gun store clerk can tell you how to keep frome harming yourself or others by accident. Cops have more catistrophic ADs than anybody.

Even more than the HGSC you have to have you have to demonstrate that you can safely handle the handgun you are buying. Using the mandatory safety devices, unloading etc...

abusalim81
02-11-2010, 10:20 PM
"And be especially careful at night. Park in lighted areas. Walk in groups at night if you can. Have your cell phone ready to call police if you're walking alone." Having an alarm installed at one's home also is not a bad idea, he said....

Hah! When walking in groups, how many blocks will you make it down before you're hassled by the police for looking like a gang, especially at night...

Some cops should become stand up comics because:
- They make so many of us laugh so hard, and
they make some people piss in their pants...

:kest:

Roadrunner
02-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Even more than the HGSC you have to have you have to demonstrate that you can safely handle the handgun you are buying. Using the mandatory safety devices, unloading etc...

When I buy a firearm and I have to endure the 5 minute safety class that gun stores are apparently mandated by the state to give, I just ride it out. When a store first did that, I looked at the guy as if he was crazy, and then I got a little indignant until he explained that it was a state requirement. Mind you, I had been buying guns since the mid 70's , I did my time in the Air Force and now this kid has the stones to tell me he's going to "teach" me how to operate this gun. Then I saw a woman walk into the store that wanted to buy a gun, but didn't know what "size" she was looking for. After that, I just dealt with it.

POLICESTATE
02-11-2010, 10:32 PM
When I buy a firearm and I have to endure the 5 minute safety class that gun stores are apparently mandated by the state to give, I just ride it out. When a store first did that, I looked at the guy as if he was crazy, and then I got a little indignant until he explained that it was a state requirement. Mind you, I had been buying guns since the mid 70's , I did my time in the Air Force and now this kid has the stones to tell me he's going to "teach" me how to operate this gun. Then I saw a woman walk into the store that wanted to buy a gun, but didn't know what "size" she was looking for. After that, I just dealt with it.

Yeah I felt exactly the same way. It's not like we have to demonstrate to an auto dealer we know all the safety features of any particular car we want to buy, and it seems to me more people die in auto-related accidents than gun-related accidents. But whatever! Maybe I will start an anti-car movement and make it as stupid and irrational as the anti-gun movement. Would be good for a few laughs I suppose.

xr650r
02-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Basically, the police are telling us to "live in fear" and "modify our behavior because we cannot protect you".

:7:

Seesm
02-11-2010, 10:36 PM
I say Vallejo Leo should want to arm ALL law abiding citizens... talk about drying up crime quick fast and hurry...

POLICESTATE
02-11-2010, 10:37 PM
I say Vallejo Leo should want to arm ALL law abiding citizens... talk about drying up crime quick fast and hurry...

yeah and drying up their job security in the process :P

Remember, BS is almost always about money. That's why our country is so full of it.

MP301
02-12-2010, 1:03 AM
You have to pass a handgun safty test to buy one. Admitidly it's kind of lame, but any compitant gun store clerk can tell you how to keep frome harming yourself or others by accident. Cops have more catistrophic ADs ND's than anybody.

Probably not necessary to comment on your post, but yeah...its real lame. And whats funny is that people ***** about having to do even this little bit because it "violates their god goven right etc etc".

I for one prefer that inexperienced and stupid people know WTF they are doing when operating a firearms. But hey, thats just me.

I would not question any non prohibited person's right to own or bear a firearm, but i think I prefer that every scared inexperienced or stupid person not just ran out and get a gun without enough training to be at least minimally competent.

Crap, I got muzzled twice by some dork right after he passed that minimal test they have when you buy a gun. Not cool.

And something else everyone should think about. Lets say that people went out in mass numbers and bought guns who never owned them - without proper training. Wouldnt all of those ND's start making the idiot anti's look like they were right all along? Turn more away from our cause and our RKBA?

I say we sponser a bill for free state/federal paid for training! At least a small part of our tax money might actually go for a good cause for a change!
I think firearm safety should be a mandatory class for schools too. What better time to ingrain good habits regarding firearms then during the formative years?

Ok, im done....:p

Merc1138
02-12-2010, 1:42 AM
Not any more, depending on where you are. When I call from inside the city limits, it goes to PD. When I'm out in the county, it can go to either CHP or to SO, depending on what part of the county I'm in. Usually they can do a good job of pinpointing your location via E911 Phase2, and can fix your location within 50 meters.

I've fortunately only called 911 ONCE in the past 20 something years. It was about 2 years ago when I was on 880 on my way to work, just saw the sign in the corner of my eye proclaiming that I should dial 911 to report drunk drivers, while a driver was swerving back and forth in front of me in and out of his/her lane for a mile. I got the CHP which I guess was the correct jurisdiction, but the issue was...

"Thank you for calling the California Highway Patrol. For English, press 1. Para Espanol..."

At that point I hung up the phone and threw it into the back seat. I dialed 911 ffs, not comcast or pg&e, and I got an automated phone tree. That made me go from zero to totally pist in all of about 5.3 seconds. To make matters even dumber, the San Jose PD will call back when you dial 911 and hang up(I know this, because idiot co-workers call the PD all the time because instead of dialing 9+011+91+areacode+number to call India(India has area codes that start with a 1) and they end up dialing 911 instead(this only happens when people try to call India without understanding how the phones work, and we get fined by SJPD regularly for it). Back to the CHP, notice how I said I called, got the stupid phone tree and then hung up because I was mad and didn't want to fiddle with the stupid phone tree while driving on the freeway? Yeah, they never called back to confirm I was just ticked off.

So while some jurisdictions may answer a 911 call correctly and handle things properly, the CHP sure in the hell doesn't.

calnurse
02-12-2010, 7:25 AM
There should be a penal code on how many minutes or hours a cop should stay at a gas station yucking it up with the owner (I am next to him right now). By the looks of his gut I don't think he can protect any one.

gotthelife4u
02-12-2010, 8:17 AM
At that point I hung up the phone and threw it into the back seat. I dialed 911 ffs, not comcast or pg&e, and I got an automated phone tree. That made me go from zero to totally pist in all of about 5.3 seconds. To make matters even dumber, the San Jose PD will call back when you dial 911 and hang up(I know this, because idiot co-workers call the PD all the time because instead of dialing 9+011+91+areacode+number to call India(India has area codes that start with a 1) and they end up dialing 911 instead(this only happens when people try to call India without understanding how the phones work, and we get fined by SJPD regularly for it).

I was on a Ride a Long with Santa Clara PD about a month ago when we got two call that day for 911 hang ups. Sure enough it was someone trying to dial out to India. The Officer I was with was very professional when we arrived but when we were on our way to the call he said something like 8 out of 10 911 hang ups were because of this.

OC4ME
02-12-2010, 9:05 AM
...blah, blah, blah...yeah right, whatever. What was that seconds vs. minutes thing again?

pullnshoot25
02-12-2010, 9:19 AM
There should be a penal code on how many minutes or hours a cop should stay at a gas station yucking it up with the owner (I am next to him right now). By the looks of his gut I don't think he can protect any one.

HAHA!

BusBoy
02-12-2010, 9:29 AM
I've fortunately only called 911 ONCE in the past 20 something years. It was about 2 years ago when I was on 880 on my way to work, just saw the sign in the corner of my eye proclaiming that I should dial 911 to report drunk drivers, while a driver was swerving back and forth in front of me in and out of his/her lane for a mile. I got the CHP which I guess was the correct jurisdiction, but the issue was...

"Thank you for calling the California Highway Patrol. For English, press 1. Para Espanol..."

At that point I hung up the phone and threw it into the back seat. I dialed 911 ffs, not comcast or pg&e, and I got an automated phone tree. That made me go from zero to totally pist in all of about 5.3 seconds. To make matters even dumber, the San Jose PD will call back when you dial 911 and hang up(I know this, because idiot co-workers call the PD all the time because instead of dialing 9+011+91+areacode+number to call India(India has area codes that start with a 1) and they end up dialing 911 instead(this only happens when people try to call India without understanding how the phones work, and we get fined by SJPD regularly for it). Back to the CHP, notice how I said I called, got the stupid phone tree and then hung up because I was mad and didn't want to fiddle with the stupid phone tree while driving on the freeway? Yeah, they never called back to confirm I was just ticked off.

So while some jurisdictions may answer a 911 call correctly and handle things properly, the CHP sure in the hell doesn't.

Doesnt all cell phone calls automagically goto the CHP?? That was my understanding regardless of where you are.

ZombieTactics
02-12-2010, 9:51 AM
When I buy a firearm and I have to endure the 5 minute safety class that gun stores are apparently mandated by the state to give, I just ride it out. When a store first did that, I looked at the guy as if he was crazy, and then I got a little indignant until he explained that it was a state requirement. ... Then I saw a woman walk into the store that wanted to buy a gun, but didn't know what "size" she was looking for. After that, I just dealt with it.
Actually, I think the Handgun Safety Test and requirement to demonstrate at time of pickup is one of the very few things that California has gotten right. Anyone who really can't tolerate this has some serious anger management issues to begin with.

I also have witnessed the clueless, first-timer buyers. Then I have to be honest and admit that I was once a clueless, first-timer. I can't see how this simple bit of safety training/theater does any harm to anyone, and it might just actually prevent something tragic.

dantodd
02-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I've only purchased one handgun since the silly "demonstration" law went into effect. The employee put the gun on the counter and turned away to grab the paperwork. First thing I did when he turned his back was disassembled to firearm to make sure it was in the same condition as when I purchased it. He turned around as I was re-assembling the weapon and said. "I guess that takes care of the safety demonstration." I had no idea what he was talking about....

Asphodel
02-12-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm not going to get into commenting about Vallejo, or the seconds/minutes/hours/days response time issues which have been pretty well hashed over here already.

I will comment, tho, on the issue of those who might have or obtain a firearm, but not be able to handle it safely.

We're trying to address that issue with a free 'basic safety and proficiency training' event in San Jose, once a month.....this coming Saturday, in fact.

A 'newbie' will be 'paired up' with an experienced shooter, and given good basic instruction in firearms safety, some target practice with a 22 rifle, and the opportunity to fire a few rounds from various handguns, for basic familiarisation.......any young people *must* have a parent/guardian present.

(when I say 'free', its just that.......really.....no charge at all, and we'll provide the 22 rounds for 'newbies'. That said, anyone who thinks this event is a useful idea......a 'good start' or whatever...... is encouraged to donate 22 rounds, pizza/potluck munchies, whatever, to make the event more enjoyable for all.)

If you know any person, especially, but not limited to, young people and women, who might be interested, have a look at the relevant 'thread' in the womens' section here.

And......relative to one comment here.......yes, once the weather is better, we'll be doing BBQ for all.

cheers

Carla

PatriotnMore
02-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Nice, great work.

It would be great if the city would get involved and encourage its citizens to attend.

I'm not going to get into commenting about Vallejo, or the seconds/minutes/hours/days response time issues which have been pretty well hashed over here already.

I will comment, tho, on the issue of those who might have or obtain a firearm, but not be able to handle it safely.

We're trying to address that issue with a free 'basic safety and proficiency training' event in San Jose, once a month.....this coming Saturday, in fact.

A 'newbie' will be 'paired up' with an experienced shooter, and given good basic instruction in firearms safety, some target practice with a 22 rifle, and the opportunity to fire a few rounds from various handguns, for basic familiarisation.......any young people *must* have a parent/guardian present.

(when I say 'free', its just that.......really.....no charge at all, and we'll provide the 22 rounds for 'newbies'. That said, anyone who thinks this event is a useful idea......a 'good start' or whatever...... is encouraged to donate 22 rounds, pizza/potluck munchies, whatever, to make the event more enjoyable for all.)

If you know any person, especially, but not limited to, young people and women, who might be interested, have a look at the relevant 'thread' in the womens' section here.

And......relative to one comment here.......yes, once the weather is better, we'll be doing BBQ for all.

cheers

Carla

Asphodel
02-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Patriot,

The City is involved, albeit somewhat indirectly.

The range is owned by the City, as a City Parks property, and operated by the Santa Clara Valley Rifle Club, a non-profit public service group.

The Rifle Club makes the range, with a qualified rangemaster in charge, available to San Jose residents several days a week, for a very nominal (non-profit, just enough to pay the power and phone bills) range use fee.

This 'newbies outreach programme' is just one little part of the 'public service' commitment of the Rifle Club membership. For more info, if you are interested, check out the SCVRC web-site.

cheers

Carla

sar_man
05-14-2010, 7:42 PM
911 call from cell phone used to go to CHP wherever you were. With the implementation of E911 that has changed. The cell systems now use either the GPS in your cell phone or triangulation from cell towers to identify your probable location and route the call to the probable agency. If you are in a city it will go to the pd, in the county to the SO and if you are near a highway it routes to the CHP

Rem222
05-14-2010, 8:07 PM

+1...... Well said...

Sgt Raven
05-14-2010, 8:46 PM

When you call 911 from a cell phone you're calling the CHP 911 operator not your local 911 system.

N6ATF
05-14-2010, 8:58 PM
With 'friends' like this, who needs enemies?

subrosa
05-14-2010, 9:14 PM
Maybe this is a local law I am not familiar with, but I am fairly sure the knife laws are inaccurate. I am guessing he means concealed?

I carry a fairly small pocket knife, but almost all of mine (SAKs aside) are locking knives which to my knowledge are legal in the state, now city jurisdictions are obviously different.

I remember Vallejo being a nice little suburb that had a cool zoo to visit (Marine World) and that was about it. I drove through not that long ago and it was evident it was going down hill.

Neuvik
05-14-2010, 9:31 PM
I remember Vallejo being a nice little suburb that had a cool zoo to visit (Marine World) and that was about it. I drove through not that long ago and it was evident it was going down hill.

Now entitlement beneficiaries drop off their spawn there instead of actually doing parenting. A few fights each day, they will hassle anyone in lines, cut in place, throw garbage anywhere. If you attempt to confront them one will stand there and repeate obscenities, others will circle from behind. If they are younger they just throw stuff, like food. But being near them its just continuous cussing, each word followed by the F word. It is just not a pleasant place to be at all any more.

So glad I escaped that hell hole.

The rest of the city is a perpetual war zone. Keep armed. Only safe places are at the maritime academy, and costco.

Martinmonica
05-14-2010, 9:38 PM
wow ,

I think that is was not the place of this department to state that.
I am a candidate for sheriff in Santa Clara. The department should really understand waht they are stating before informing the community.

advocatusdiaboli
05-14-2010, 9:41 PM
It's very, very sad when a people lose the ability to stand strong, unite, and protect themselves and relinquish that duty to others. One thing your common sense should tell you is that no "other" will care about your life and property as much as you do--no matter their compensation. As a Veteran I wish to be clear I am talking civilians not military--military duty to country is a whole different subject.The more you delegate the basics of life, the less life you have in the end. It's a hollow life to live. And a weak and powerless one that can end on a whim of someone who wants yours over.

big red
05-15-2010, 9:54 AM
Once again the Vallejo police department is not looking at the long term picture. People who open carry will intimidate criminals and force them to look elsewhere for easier targets. That having fewer police does not mean it will be easier to rob and molest citizens. Let citizens protect themselves when seconds count and the police can come along and solve the crime as quickly as possible. Police solve crimes, they do not protect citizens because they can't. And any police department that uses the word protect should be sued for false advertising. Police should know their limitations and allow citizens to protect themselves by the same means criminals would use to harm them. That usually means teh responsible use of a gun.

NoahH
05-15-2010, 10:04 AM
They must not see any irony in telling people not to arm themselves while wearing body armor, a pistol, and having a shotgun and/or ar-15 in their vehicle. Hmmm....:rolleyes:

thebronze
05-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Good luck with that idea. The city of Vallejo is ran by a bunch of left wing school teachers, who would rather give out a business permit for a new smoke shop than a retail store like Wally World who can generate some real tax revenue for the city.

+ 1,000,000

turbogg
05-15-2010, 10:22 AM
State law bans most people from possessing "any dirk, dagger, ice pick or knife having a blade longer than 2 1/2 inches

Every knife in my kitchen is over 2.5 inches long. Even my butter knife is longer than that. I guess I'll have to turn myself in. :nuts:

GuyW
05-15-2010, 1:08 PM
The Fud and BS in this article is really annoying.

"Police Department spokesman Abel Tenorio....

State law bans most people from possessing "any dirk, dagger, ice pick or knife having a blade longer than 2 1/2 inches, folding knife with a blade that locks into place, a razor with an unguarded blade....."

that's all a lie....

KylaGWolf
05-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Well the Vallejo has never been the best news source in that part of the state to begin with. Then again Vallejo is not all the great to begin with. I used to live in Solano County and the only time I ever went to Vallejo was when I was working in the juvenile probation satellite office on Georgia Street or taking the ferry to SF.

cr250chevy
05-16-2010, 1:13 PM

very very true, I here they are currently working on an apartment complex that will be rented out to "aspiring and failed artists"- instead they have given up contracts for a cabales, super walmart, war-ship dismantling company on mare island, trader-joes, just to mention a few.... the best part was their excuse for the walmart, counsel wanted walmart to foot the bill and build a picnic/mini park to view the marsh land just south of I37 on Sonoma Blvd, If you've ever driven past there it smells like an abandoned water treatment plant filled with cow manure- half the time I have to hold my breath as I drive past it....

gorblimey
05-16-2010, 1:56 PM
I suspect they're walking the PC line right now. If they told the populace to arm themselves, they'd be the very next name on the chopping block. Right now, if you told every cop in Vallejo to join the communist party and wear gorilla suits in order to keep their jobs, I suspect they would.

They'd know the part about the communist party was a joke (union members, checked that box already).

;)

duldej
05-16-2010, 9:30 PM
i'm of the opinion that if my job doesn't appear on a bcia 4040 form then i don't have a lawful need to ccw or need a ccw permit.
some of you might disagree.
but if all it takes is to get a job as a security guard to obtain one then i may or may not try that.
in other words can i warrant carring a concealed gun and therefore applying for a permit? maybe.
if not then stay at home sometimes. if so then that's more of a career move, again, in my opinion, but i certainly don't appreciate being hassled say if i'm merely bringing my gun to the shooting range, but that's more of a political problem, i think, than a professional one or a practical problem....
what that leo said was lies like they're always wooing you to jail and lying to you about it.
say you've git a bf-034 safety certificate and therefore are licensed to safely handle a gun.
politically and in and if itself that's a powerful tool paperwork-wise.
get a good dross and tgat's another one.
from where i'm standing a ccw permit is cool but i'm not a private investigator, for instance and there's only so much crime that i have to stop.
i don't need a ccw permit to hang-out at home and defend myself.
that would be like licensing my big toe to suit my foot.
unnecessary, but i know that some if you think differently.
sorry to come-out like such a wuss.