PDA

View Full Version : LEO's required/issued bluetooths?

Cyc Wid It
02-10-2010, 5:30 PM
I'm assuming that LEO's also cannot drive while talking on the phone without using a hands-free device like the rest of us. While I know most people don't follow this law, I find (of course anecdotal) that I see cops driving with their cell phones all the time. Just curious if that's something the department will cover, as a lot of companies provide them for employees these days.

12gauge12
02-10-2010, 6:09 PM
I'm not leo, but they can "break" laws in the course of duty. Same thing as making illegal u turns, running lights, etc. If they're on the phone for anything official, they're good to go.

FLIGHT762
02-10-2010, 6:40 PM
23123. (a) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle while using a wireless telephone unless that telephone is specifically designed and configured to allow hands-free listening and talking, and is used in that manner while driving.

(b) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a base fine of twenty dollars ($20) for a first offense and fifty dollars ($50) for each subsequent offense.

(c) This section does not apply to a person using a wireless telephone for emergency purposes, including, but not limited to, an emergency call to a law enforcement agency, health care provider, fire department, or other emergency services agency or entity.

(d) This section does not apply to an emergency services professional using a wireless telephone while operating an authorized emergency vehicle, as defined in Section 165, in the course and scope of his or her duties.

This is not the the whole 23123 section, but the highlighted print is the exemption for Police, Fire,EMS etc.

There also may be department policy on this.

One day I had a citizen complain that one of my Officers was driving and talking on the phone. He was pulling into the Station as I was on the phone with the citizen. When he came upstairs, I asked him who he was talking to. He was honest and told me he was talking to his wife. I gave him a chewing.

When I was a Supervisor, I would get a lot of phone calls in the "course and scope" of my duties. When I could, I would pull over and then talk. Even though I was exempt, I felt it was good P/R.

alex00
02-10-2010, 7:07 PM
My department issued those crappy motorola visor speakers. They don't work too well, and you can't hear the conversation. If I wore a blue tooth, I'd have both my ears plugged with stuff. I wear a radio ear piece in one ear, and a blue tooth would really limit my hearing in my free ear. I just try to be discreet when I'm on the phone because I know people are watching, and most aren't aware that we are exempt.

OneNcustdy
02-10-2010, 7:13 PM
My current assignment has me on the telephone a lot. As I am aware that it does not look good in the public's eye, I am performing a job that talking air time on the radio could jeopardize an officers window to scream for emergency traffic. I try not to use in while driving as much as possible, but unfortunately it does not happen that often. I do miss the days of pagers where I did not have to immediately return or answer a phone call.

El Gato
02-10-2010, 8:56 PM
I'm assuming that LEO's also cannot drive while talking on the phone without using a hands-free device like the rest of us. While I know most people don't follow this law, I find (of course anecdotal) that I see cops driving with their cell phones all the time. Just curious if that's something the department will cover, as a lot of companies provide them for employees these days.

Ummm NO... we are supposed to pull over and talk... that's the rule...pull over and use the phone...now mind you... my boss calls me constantly all day long...with a phone...from his office... does he radio me first and ask me if I'm clear for a 10-21?...NO... he just calls and expects me to answer the phone... weather it is clear for me to pull over or not... so... I always comply with dept. policy... right...:cool2:

Desert Dude
02-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for all the truthful answers to a very sound question.

homerm14
02-11-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm not leo, but they can "break" laws in the course of duty. Same thing as making illegal u turns, running lights, etc. If they're on the phone for anything official, they're good to go.

Leo's can not "break" the law, they are exempt from the law. In certain circumstances.

Cyc Wid It
02-11-2010, 4:05 PM
Thanks for the responses, just had a random moment of curiosity.