PDA

View Full Version : First OC sheriff debate

SteveH
02-10-2010, 9:24 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/news/hutchens-233522-sheriff-concealed.html

Sheriff candidates show their colors at debate
By MARTIN WISCKOL
2010-02-09

TUSTIN - Both challengers of Sheriff Sandra Hutchens attacked the incumbent at a candidates forum Tuesday night, but distinctions between all three were clear.

Former Orange County Sheriff's Lt. Bill Hunt repeatedly emphasized the Second Amendment and his vow to make it easier to get concealed weapons permits, while Anaheim Deputy Police Chief Craig Hunter characterized Hutchens as a Los Angeles-style cop in a county where people...."

The Director
02-10-2010, 9:31 AM
I'm digging this quote:

"If you don't respect our Second Amendment right, you don't respect any of our rights," Hunt said.

IGOTDIRT4U
02-10-2010, 9:54 AM
Bizarre.

I had passed the restaurant where the debate took place about 1:00 Tuesday afternoon on my way home, and I wondered why the parking lot was almost completely empty. It's usually packed for lunch. Except for about 3 cars, the only thing else there was a bobtail truck delivering restaurant supplies.

Anyhow, thanks for the link.

mdhpper
02-10-2010, 2:55 PM
This is BS:

"She also responded to Hunt's attack on her concealed weapons policy, noting that she approve 90 percent of the applications"

IGOTDIRT4U
02-10-2010, 3:02 PM
This is BS:

"She also responded to Hunt's attack on her concealed weapons policy, noting that she approve 90 percent of the applications"

As responded by another CGR on another thread, that stat does not define how many with restrictions, or if those were new apps, renewals, or both.

ldivinag
02-10-2010, 3:48 PM
This is BS:

could be they have a 2 layer system.

first person denies 99% of all incoming applications.

then that 1%, she then gets. of that 1%, she approves 90% of them...

lol...

Dark Paladin
02-10-2010, 4:04 PM

lol...

My thoughts exactly.

jont92619
02-10-2010, 6:55 PM
It was an interesting forum. The OC Register video or story really did not do the event justice and it's my feeling they edited the piece in a way to try and make Hunt look bad (strange intercuts of audience members). They didn't do much to make Hunter look good either.. Hutchens played it very calm and safe, while Hunt and Hunter put the pressure on.

I videotaped the entire event and have far better footage than the twenty year old kid the OCR sent out to grab a few shots... I will be working to get it posted soon...

U2BassAce
02-10-2010, 9:56 PM

lol...

She has forced most (everyday people) to either turn in their CCWs or expired them early.

What is left of them have barely wedged into her very restrictive policy and most are restricted. Of those I suspect are mostly renewals and a lot of those being judges, reserves and other protected classes have been at 90%.

She is pretty good at accounting numbers IE 2+2+2 means whatever you want it to mean. Pick a month that works and end it on a month that works.

So bottom line it looks like from reports Hunter and Hunt were a great one two punch. Just what we need! ;)

mobizzle
02-10-2010, 10:05 PM
she just wants the attention, you can't make that big of a fool of yourself without realizing it

i think the 90% was just a random thought she threw out there, thinking 'who's going to check me?' but i guess thats what the internet is all about

RomanDad
02-11-2010, 5:18 AM
It was an interesting forum. The OC Register video or story really did not do the event justice and it's my feeling they edited the piece in a way to try and make Hunt look bad (strange intercuts of audience members). They didn't do much to make Hunter look good either.. Hutchens played it very calm and safe, while Hunt and Hunter put the pressure on.

I videotaped the entire event and have far better footage than the twenty year old kid the OCR sent out to grab a few shots... I will be working to get it posted soon...

Rumor has it that after the CCW BOS meetings, she went to the OC Register and TOLD THEM to stop covering her in a negative light.... And they acquiesced. You'll notice, the reporters who were covering her back then, are no longer with the paper.

The Director
02-11-2010, 7:24 AM
Rumor has it that after the CCW BOS meetings, she went to the OC Register and TOLD THEM to stop covering her in a negative light.... And they acquiesced. You'll notice, the reporters who were covering her back then, are no longer with the paper.

I highly doubt she wields that kind of power. Who cares what the Sheriff tells you to do in that context. What can she possibly do to them over negative press.....that's legal?

RomanDad
02-11-2010, 8:35 AM
I highly doubt she wields that kind of power.

A year ago I would have agreed with you.

Who cares what the Sheriff tells you to do in that context. What can she possibly do to them over negative press.....that's legal?

If you are ALREADY inclined to be on her side (as it appears the editors of the OC Register are) , she doesn't have to do anything but ask.

http://www.ocweekly.com/2009-10-22/news/the-voice-of-oc-norberto-santana-nick-berardino-joe-dunn/4

Earlier this year, {OC Register Reporter Norberto Santana] heard that Hutchens and Orange County Sheriff’s Department spokesman John McDonald were going to sit down with Register staffers. They were unhappy with the way they were being covered.

“Stay calm,” Santana recalls one editor telling him.

He knew something similar had happened a few years earlier with Mike Carona, the disgraced ex-sheriff. Reporter Aldrin Brown had shed light on the sheriff’s department’s prisoner abuse, excessive use of helicopters for personal business and misplaced crime reports. Carona complained in 2004 and was granted a meeting with the paper’s editors—Brown wasn’t invited—and, Brown says, the Register ended up running a clarification of one of his articles. Brown, now at the San Bernardino County Sun, told the Weekly he thinks the paper treated Carona, who faced federal corruption charges and was convicted of felony witness tampering earlier this year, “with kid gloves.”

Santana says he was happy to meet with Hutchens about his articles. But the sit-down was scheduled for the same week Santana was set to go on furlough (mandatory, unpaid vacation). While on furlough, Register staffers were told they weren’t allowed to check e-mails, listen to voice mail, or do anything work-related from home. They were, for that week, not staffers.

Santana asked if they could please move the meeting with the sheriff. He says his request went unanswered. When his furlough week came, he went Jeep-riding with his wife and son in the high desert. But Santana says that while he was away, Hutchens and McDonald had lunch with Register editor Ken Brusic, Knap and at least one other reporter. Neither McDonald nor Knap would discuss that meeting. But, Knap says, public figures regularly complain about coverage. “I always defend the reporter,” Knap says. “I always tell the public figure that if they want better PR, they need to return the reporter’s phone calls.”

In an e-mail to the Weekly, Brusic says that the idea for a sit-down came up while he was having coffee with the sheriff. He asked if she thought the paper had been fair; she said that some of her staffers had concerns. “The meeting was a general clearing of the air—an attempt to keep communication open,” he wrote. “They had some concerns; so did we.”

According to Brusic, Santana’s reporting was not the focus of the “wide-ranging” discussion, though coverage of the concealed-weapons issue did come up. Santana says he was told that former Register reporter McDonald had called his articles “too aggressive” and “unfair” without offering any concrete examples. When he returned from furlough, Santana says, he was told to “be fair” when covering the sheriff.

“I’m not sure what Chris Knap told Norberto after the meeting, but an editor reminding a reporter to make sure all sides get fair treatment in our stories is pretty common advice around here,” Brusic says.

But Santana bristled. To him, “be fair” was code for “back off.”

“I’m sitting there, looking at an editor, going, ‘Have we ever not been fair?’” Santana recalls. “That, to me, was a death knell to my time at the Register. They have every right to run that paper however they see fit. But then I have to decide whether I want to work there.”

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/breaking-news/black-friday-oc-register-loses/

mdhpper
02-11-2010, 10:08 AM
:eek: