PDA

View Full Version : Going to DC for McDonald, or stay home and read about it?

Kharn
02-10-2010, 8:49 AM
I have oodles of leave to use this year, might as well take off for McDonald's oral arguments rather than pretending to do work and hiding the liveblog screen whenever the boss walks by. The debate is should I go down to DC that day (I live an hour away and can take the Metro the rest of the way) just to stand outside the building (I'm not going to rush for a spot in the galley, nor am I member of the SC bar; I don't have a smartphone so I'm limited to wifi hot spots) or should I stay home and enjoy reading the live blogs, internet postings, IRC, etc from my desktop? :confused:

johnny_22
02-10-2010, 8:52 AM
If you're not going to fight for a spot inside, you may just be stuck outside. Since I don't like cold that much, I would recommend monitoring it at home.

But, if you want to queue up early for a spot inside, I would go for it to see history being made.

wildhawker
02-10-2010, 8:56 AM
From what I understand you would have to wait outside of SCOTUS for 1-2 days to get in for orals; there's a separate (shorter) line for the 3min version for those of us non-lawyers who'd like to see some of the show without the sidewalk camping.

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/visiting/visitorsguidetooralargument.pdf

bulgron
02-10-2010, 9:57 AM
Stay home and listen to the audio of it when it comes out. The courts operate in slow motion, so I don't get the desire to stand in line in the cold for a couple of days to see a show that will be analyzed to death long before the results are known.

yellowfin
02-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Perhaps the ruling will be issued faster since it's less of a giant step than the last time?

loather
02-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Perhaps the ruling will be issued faster since it's less of a giant step than the last time?

Hell, they already issued the ruling on the campaign funding case -- Normally I'd reference airborne porcine but it seems as though the damned things are starting to sprout wings anyways! :)

jdberger
02-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Go. It's gonna be quite the party.

forgiven
02-10-2010, 5:57 PM
:walkman: stay home and be comfortable.

hoffmang
02-10-2010, 9:22 PM
There will be lots of us standing outside during arguments. If you don't want to make the couple of day camp out commitment you're still pretty probable to get in on the tour for about 10 minutes of the actual argument worst case.

It's worth going. I'll be there.

-Gene

press1280
02-11-2010, 4:06 AM
I have oodles of leave to use this year, might as well take off for McDonald's oral arguments rather than pretending to do work and hiding the liveblog screen whenever the boss walks by. The debate is should I go down to DC that day (I live an hour away and can take the Metro the rest of the way) just to stand outside the building (I'm not going to rush for a spot in the galley, nor am I member of the SC bar; I don't have a smartphone so I'm limited to wifi hot spots) or should I stay home and enjoy reading the live blogs, internet postings, IRC, etc from my desktop? :confused:

I'm sort of in the same boat as you-I'm about 2 hours drive from DC. If I was able to get a guaranteed seat I'd go, but camping out for 2 days or paying a fortune for someone to sit in line for me is too much right now. But I'd really love to be there anyways.
Are any Calgunners paying the line sitters or actually going all out with tents to get a place in line?

pitchbaby
02-11-2010, 9:18 AM
I'd say stay home and save your money for the party after the ruling.

Roadrunner
02-11-2010, 9:40 AM
For the lawyers types, I'm sure this is like making a pilgrimage to Mecca or the Wailing wall, or something considered equally as reverent. I on the other hand have no interest in going to D.C.. There will not be any difference in my second amendment rights if I'm there or not there. I realize that it will be a historic event, but I've been to plenty of those in my life, and I've missed plenty of historic events.

If you happen to go to the Nixon Library, look for the pictures from the day they brought his body to the library for burial. You'll see me in one of the pictures with my family. I will be the tall guy in the yellow raincoat.

loather
02-11-2010, 10:27 AM
I'd like to go. It'd be fun. Unfortunately I can't take the time away from work to do it.

dantodd
02-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I would love to go. D.C. is a wonderful place both as the seat of our federal government and for all the museums, monuments and architecture.

If I could go and spend a week around the arguments I'd definitely go.

7x57
02-11-2010, 12:17 PM
I won't be able to go, but who is going to take care of the supporting "orals party" events back here?

7x57

loather
02-11-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm always in favor of supporting oral. :43:

Seriously though, if someone is going to have a party on that day in Southern California (that is, south of the grapevine) I'll definitely make an effort to show up to that. I can maybe get away with a day off :)

wash
02-11-2010, 5:23 PM
I'm going, who's making the plans for after the hearing?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a deal on a parka?

7x57
02-11-2010, 5:50 PM
I'm always in favor of supporting oral. :43:

Lemme just rephrase that....

7x57