PDA

View Full Version : OC Riflemen ?

Stargazer
01-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Hi there,

Since I am not participating in the lower craze, I am trying to decide which rifle I should plan on buying. I would like something that has stood the test of time, tolerant to occasional rough handling, but can be shot accurately with scope in the 200 - 500 meter range. I plan to shoot it only at the range. And my purchase timeframe is the next 12 months.

I don't have experience with rifles, but I was wondering if some of you in southern OC might be willing to let me tag along when you go to the range to give a workout to your rifles.

Of course, any advice you might have for a noob would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Zsolt

Black Majik
01-14-2006, 12:17 PM
What caliber were you looking at? .223 or .308? I'm assuming you mean in semi-auto format.

For .223 I cant really think of much except the SU-16 and the Mini-14, but those are pretty subpar in accuracy.

Now, in .308 I'd definitely recommend the M1A, but those are pricey. They're great rifles though and can handle some hard shooting should you choose to give it a workout.

I usually meet with some members in Socal, check www.thehighroad.org at the rally point forum. We usually have a few shoots there. I'll keep you posted for some shoots in the future. We usually shoot at the Angeles Range or San Gabriel Valley Gunclub

Good luck

Stargazer
01-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Richard,

Thanks for your reply. It could be semi-auto, but I am also open to bolt action. I think the longer the range of the rifle, the more open I am to the bolt-action. And perhaps the .308 round would be better for long range too.

However, with the anti-gun sentiments in CA, I might prioritize on semi-auto first. Yes, I've been checking out the Springfield and Fulton websites for years now for the M1A/M14 rifles. But I was not able to buy before, because I was in school, and I was poor, plus weapons were not allowed in the dorms.

I think it would be good if I could shoot a few different rifles before deciding which one I wanted, so I will monitor the site you mentioned.

Thanks,
Zsolt

triaged
01-15-2006, 12:08 AM
If you want to look at bolt guns take a look at Savage. They are known to be VERY accurate right out of the box and are priced well. The other cool thing about them is that they are very easy to change the barrles out on. I have a 243 barrel for mine but I haven't put it on yet.

I have an 11FCNS in 308win. That is their sporter weight. If you are just going to do range work with it you could look at the 10 or 12 series both of which will have heavy barrles. There is a bunch of good info at www.savageshooters.net

JWC6
01-15-2006, 8:05 AM
What is your budget? I always forget to calculate costs such as ammo, additional storage capacity and such.

For me, I started out with Ruger 10/22, mainly because it was inexpensive ammo and ok with indoor ranges. The recoil was non existent but the platform allowed me add to my knowledge base.

I've since swapped out the barrel (.92 Green mountain 18inch), changed the buffer, mag release, and bolt release (Voltquarsten SIC) and switched out the stock (RB precision).

it looks like this now...

http://www.rbprecision.com/id72.htm

Mine is the last one on the bottom. The one with the pink background.

The SU-16 is actually quite fun, very light, and pretty hard to destroy (I have two left thumbs). The caveat is the polymer rail is not 1913 spec and I've had a few mount issues with my EOtech (cants to the right), my Larue mount (crossbars are too thick on the SU), interestingly my ARMS Aimpoint mount works well. Since I have the thin barrel A model, I had to swap the plastic sites to the B model. I believe the CA model with the threaded muzzle is the way to go, since a screwed in muzzle break can alleviate any perceived recoil off target. Also, the original plastic magazines are not reliable. I have been using the bushmaster 10 rounders with good success. The bolt is also compatible with AR's and it is a gas piston design (sort of the in thing now around AR crowds HK 416, Lietner-Wise, POF etc)

Concerning bolt actions. The Remington 700 PSS in .308 is nice (and heavy) The HS precision stock is great and I think it was the best money I've spent (it was on sale at Turners for something like $600 a few years ago). Again, if you noticed the trend, the 700 has a whole host of modifications, such as trigger mods, bolt handle mods (Hateca, HD rifles), stocks, etc. Since it is so heavy, I think it is well suited for the bench, since recoil is quite low.

Concerning the M1A and variants. I think this is a classic firearm. It is easy to disassemble, GREAT iron sights, CA compliant with the muzzle break, and quite a keeper. I can definitely see me handing this one off to my grandchildren. One can argue the merits of investment cast receivers (Springfield) v. Forged (LRB, Norinco) and the number of authentic GI parts in it. Honestly, the decision I made was what I could fondle in a local gun store. I ended up with a scout M1A 18inch barrel.

Concerning the recent .223 lower gold rush. This platform is REALLY flexible and anyone who can use a punch and hammer can assemble an accurate and reliable firearm. Like women's shoes, there are an infinite variety of option and price ranges. Want a 600m paper puncher? go NM 20 inch or a 24 inch SS Varminter. Want a CQB spec op butt kicker? Go 16 inch M4 contour flattop with an eotech or aimpoint. Want the latest craze? GO with a MSTN built Noveske countoured AFGHAN or a LW piston driven upper... The recoil is low, the standard A2, even A1 sights are very good. Everyone who has every played with one wants one because the ergonomics are very good.

Sorry about the lengthy reply...

DISCLAIMER: these are just my two cents worth.

:)

Stargazer
01-15-2006, 11:37 AM
What is your budget? I always forget to calculate costs such as ammo, additional storage capacity and such.

My budget for this year is one handgun and one long gun. And perhaps a gunsafe big enough for a few long guns. I don't think I will collect too many guns in my lifetime though.

Concerning the M1A and variants. I think this is a classic firearm. It is easy to disassemble, GREAT iron sights, CA compliant with the muzzle break, and quite a keeper. I can definitely see me handing this one off to my grandchildren. One can argue the merits of investment cast receivers (Springfield) v. Forged (LRB, Norinco) and the number of authentic GI parts in it. Honestly, the decision I made was what I could fondle in a local gun store. I ended up with a scout M1A 18inch barrel.

I am heavily leaning towards the M1A/M14. From your comments it sounds like this rifle is a good long-term keeper.

Concerning the recent .223 lower gold rush. This platform is REALLY flexible and anyone who can use a punch and hammer can assemble an accurate and reliable firearm. Like women's shoes, there are an infinite variety of option and price ranges. Want a 600m paper puncher? go NM 20 inch or a 24 inch SS Varminter. Want a CQB spec op butt kicker? Go 16 inch M4 contour flattop with an eotech or aimpoint. Want the latest craze? GO with a MSTN built Noveske countoured AFGHAN or a LW piston driven upper... The recoil is low, the standard A2, even A1 sights are very good. Everyone who has every played with one wants one because the ergonomics are very good.

I know. My heart is aching, but as I posted on the .223 lower forum, my wife got really alarmed about the look of the AR. But for some reason, the M1A does not scare her. So no AR lower for me at this time.

Sorry about the lengthy reply...

No problem ! I am new at guns, although I've been checking out some web-boards on and off for years. I just could not get into it, because I was at school. So lengthy replies are exactly what I need. Or if someone from southern Orange County could take me shooting...I'd really like to shoot an M1A before I buy one.

Thanks,
Zsolt

triaged
01-15-2006, 11:52 AM
I know. My heart is aching, but as I posted on the .223 lower forum, my wife got really alarmed about the look of the AR. But for some reason, the M1A does not scare her. So no AR lower for me at this time.
Well then I think you need to go with one of these
http://www.the-ozone.com/album/Pictures/Brittanys_pink_AR15i.jpg

If you want to see what one looks like go to Flag Guns in La Habra. There are a couple on the wall (not for sale) and a set of stocks in the display case. ;)

Stargazer
01-15-2006, 4:22 PM
Well then I think you need to go with one of these
http://www.the-ozone.com/album/Pictures/Brittanys_pink_AR15i.jpg

If you want to see what one looks like go to Flag Guns in La Habra. There are a couple on the wall (not for sale) and a set of stocks in the display case. ;)
Maybe next year. I'm sure as my love becomes more familiar with guns, she will be ok with it. But I will go check out Flag Guns.

Zsolt

Keith
01-15-2006, 9:09 PM
You should look at an M1 as well. Check out CMP for what they have at this time. You can get a nice M1 Garand for under $500 and they are a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.

JWC6
01-16-2006, 8:06 AM
Um, my wife asked me last night whether or not I liked this purse or another to go with a specific pair of shoes.

After about 20sec of me blankly staring off to space, I replied, "Honey, its like me asking you, is a glock better than an beretta."

I think she got the point. My wife will NEVER be as enthusiastic as me concerning firearms. I will NEVER understand her fascination with shoes or purses.

I know your wife may frown on your purchases, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T let that dissuade you...

IE, another friend of my spent a MONTH on a couch with no dinner, no clean clothes and no companionship from his wife because he bought a Lamborghini. HE SAID IT WAS WORTH EVERY MOMENT....