PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing guns in Oregon/Bringing them into CA

Heartbreaker
02-09-2010, 2:49 PM
I'm going to be living in Oregon for a while, and I have a few questions:

1. What kind of residency do I need to establish in Oregon to buy a rifle or handgun? Would I need to transfer my driver's license etc. there or just have a proof of address? Do I need to live there for a certain amount of time?
2. If/when I come back to CA, would I need to re-register the handguns? I know I can't bring any >10 round handgun mags or an AR, etc. without a bullet button/10 rounders, but is that the only restriction? What is the law concerning an off-list handgun or lower?

Thanks in advance for any related info

ke6guj
02-09-2010, 2:57 PM

1. What kind of residency do I need to establish in Oregon to buy a rifle or handgun? Would I need to transfer my driver's license etc. there or just have a proof of address? Do I need to live there for a certain amount of time?

you would need to comply with whatever Oregon requirements there are to establish residency and to buy firearms.

2. If/when I come back to CA, would I need to re-register the handguns? I know I can't bring any >10 round handgun mags or an AR, etc. without a bullet button/10 rounders, but is that the only restriction? What is the law concerning an off-list handgun or lower?

Thanks in advance for any related infoIf you then move back to CA, you are now a new resident and would need to register any handguns you import into the state. Correct in that you can't bring in any newly acquired 11+round mags (any large-caps that you had before you moved to OR you can bring back to CA) and you can't bring in any AWs or NFA stuff (except for AOWs). Anything else you can legally possess in CA you can bring back into CA.

dantodd
02-09-2010, 3:23 PM
you would need to comply with whatever Oregon requirements there are to establish residency and to buy firearms.

If you then move back to CA, you are now a new resident and would need to register any handguns you import into the state. Correct in that you can't bring in any newly acquired 11+round mags (any large-caps that you had before you moved to OR you can bring back to CA) and you can't bring in any AWs or NFA stuff (except for AOWs). Anything else you can legally possess in CA you can bring back into CA.

Don't throw away those 11+ round mags though. Make them into "parts kits" for when the walls of gun control come tumbling down.

pat038536
02-09-2010, 3:37 PM

Thanks in advance for any related info

Residency may be established by a number of actions, described in the list below and in ORS 803.200 and ORS 807.062. Once you have become a resident of Oregon, you are required by Oregon law to obtain Oregon vehicle title and registration and to obtain an Oregon Driver License or Instruction Permit. Failure to register a vehicle once residency has been established is a Class D traffic violation. Failure to obtain an Oregon Driver License or Instruction Permit once residency has been established is a Class B traffic violation.

If you are uncertain whether you qualify for an Oregon Driver License, ID Card, or Oregon Vehicle Registration, ask yourself the following questions:

* Do I remain in Oregon for a consecutive period of six months or more each year?
* Have I enrolled my children in an Oregon public school without payment of nonresident tuition fees?
* Do I pay Oregon resident tuition fees at an educational institution maintained by public funds?
* Have I made a declaration to be a resident of Oregon for the purpose of obtaining, at resident rates, a state license (other than an Oregon Driver License)?
* Is Oregon listed as my home of record in my military records?
* Do I pay resident income taxes to the state of Oregon?

If you answered "yes" to any of the above, you may be eligible to register your vehicle in Oregon and/or obtain an Oregon driving privilege or Identification Card.

dfletcher
02-09-2010, 3:54 PM
Residency may be established by a number of actions, described in the list below and in ORS 803.200 and ORS 807.062. Once you have become a resident of Oregon, you are required by Oregon law to obtain Oregon vehicle title and registration and to obtain an Oregon Driver License or Instruction Permit. Failure to register a vehicle once residency has been established is a Class D traffic violation. Failure to obtain an Oregon Driver License or Instruction Permit once residency has been established is a Class B traffic violation.

Driving around southern OR with CA plates is considered very poor form by the residents and looked on with suspicion by alot of the good gun guys up there. If you drive into a shooting range or a smallish store they tend to notice. I just visit so always have CA plates on the car, but when I'm up there my friends who live there won't let me drive at all. "Nah - we'll drive, you have CA plates" is what they tell me every time.

I was told that a telephone or utility bill is all that's needed for you to qualify for an OR DL, in addition to whatever testing you have to take.

Heartbreaker
02-09-2010, 4:20 PM
Thanks for the info so far. Anyone have any preferred shops up there? I'll be in Portland but I'm driving up on I-5 tomorrow, I'd like to check some out, especially some larger ones.

pat038536
02-09-2010, 5:51 PM
Guncrafters,
Outdoor Sportsman (Sportsman's Warehouse)
Code 3 Police Supply
All in Salem

dfletcher
02-09-2010, 7:02 PM
Thanks for the info so far. Anyone have any preferred shops up there? I'll be in Portland but I'm driving up on I-5 tomorrow, I'd like to check some out, especially some larger ones.

Sportsmans Warehouse is just off Crater Lake Highway in Medford, if you've suffered through the store in CA this is nothing like it. Rows of ARs and lots of reloading stuff. About 1/2 mile on the left hand side of the road. Big R is about 2 miles down the same road, same side. Both are very large.

Fox Firearms in Grants Pass is a small one owner shop off 4th & H St - take the 2nd Grants Pass exit down 6th & hang a left on H, it's on the left hand side. On the other side of the parking lot on G is another gun store, same small one owner set up. Lots of odd stuff.

I think any gun store in OR is worth visiting - although finding what other folks can buy and just what a closed market does to gun prices in CA is a bit upsetting.

And if you're hungry, hit the Windham truck stop on the Crater Lake exit. Lots of food - I think if you order a diet plate it comes with biscuits and gravy. :D