PDA

View Full Version : Chuck DeVore on the Second Amendment and the right to bear arms

spencerhut
02-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Does it get any better than this for us?

I believe the U.S. Constitution confers an individual right to keep and bear arms.

The Bill of Rights’ Second Amendment is clear:

“A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

The founders believed that armed people were citizens while an unarmed public were subjects. They believed the people themselves were the best bulwark against tyranny.

My own record over three terms in the California State legislature shows that I back my beliefs up with votes.

This is easy for me. Not only am I following my oath to support and defend the U.S. Constitution when I vote against bills that infringe on the liberties of law-abiding citizens, but, reams of data show that strict gun control laws do not reduce crime. In fact, numerous case studies show the opposite: that when gun control laws go into effect, law-abiding people are put at the mercy of gun-toting criminals.

doorman
02-09-2010, 12:31 PM
hit the nail on the head.

D-Man
02-09-2010, 12:36 PM
That is great!

8-Ball
02-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Don't know why... but I don't trust him... makes me think of snake oil...

Wrote to him several times about his position on the second amendment... never did get a reply...

But his spam never failed to fill my inbox...

spencerhut
02-09-2010, 1:07 PM
Don't know why... but I don't trust him... makes me think of snake oil...

I have very low tolerance for snake oil types and he does not make my snake oil sense twitch at all.

Wrote to him several times about his position on the second amendment... never did get a reply...

Well now you have his position on it. What do you think?

bld0121
02-09-2010, 3:26 PM
Why is this thread getting little, to no, attention here? Other threads have people voicing support for the other 2 republican candidates and Brown for the democrat side when DeVore is the ONLY candidate that OPENLY supports the 2nd Amendment.

Is there something I'm not getting?

dantodd
02-09-2010, 3:29 PM
This is probably why:
TPM (http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/01/poll-tom-campbell-leads-republican-senate-primary-in-california-gopers-all-trail-boxer.php)
The numbers: Campbell 30%, former Hewlett Packard CEO Carly Fiorina 25%, and DeVore 6%, with 39% undecided. Back in October, Fiorina had 21% and DeVore 20%, before Campbell entered the race.

GrizzlyGuy
02-09-2010, 3:47 PM
It will be interesting to see the data from new polls. He was on Glenn Beck's show yesterday (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3778771#post3778771) and that will help him.

Sinestr
02-09-2010, 3:48 PM
Why is this thread getting little, to no, attention here? Other threads have people voicing support for the other 2 republican candidates and Brown for the democrat side when DeVore is the ONLY candidate that OPENLY supports the 2nd Amendment.

Is there something I'm not getting?

I think another reason is Jerry Brown's support of incorporation. Many are getting on the Brown train because of that. I think his support for incorporation is great but have serious questions about his other politics:confused:

keneva
02-09-2010, 4:01 PM
I just saw this thread and will have to look at the info when I get home.

Hey there Doorman. That BBQ was built by our local High School Ag welding class a couple of years back. It is awesome. It is a replica of a S&W 500. The barrel is a smoker. They had it on display during our county fair.

coolusername2007
02-09-2010, 7:33 PM
With what Devore has said about 2A, I'll vote for him long before I ever vote for Brown. From the little I know so far, Devore seems to be the constitutional conservative candidate, sides with Tea Partiers, has McClintock's endorsement, and Gore's ire. What more could we want? I need to do more research, but so far I like Devore.

1SGMAT
02-09-2010, 7:46 PM
I served with him briefly when he was a young officer and he was always an exemplory leader who displayed a high level of integrity. He will have my vote.

WarEagle
02-09-2010, 9:50 PM
DeVore has my full support and has from day 1. He is the only Candidate for Senate that has come out and fully explained his position on the RTKBA. Fiorina's position (crickets chirping and frogs croaking)???

I caught both Fiorina and DeVore on Glenn Beck the other day and everyone I was with said the same thing. Fiorina sounded like she was reciting the talking points from her web site. DeVore was actually engaging and had opinions on various subjects.

Go DeVore. Go 2A.

8-Ball
02-10-2010, 6:44 AM
I have very low tolerance for snake oil types and he does not make my snake oil sense twitch at all.

Well now you have his position on it. What do you think?

I at least get automated response letters from both Boxer and Feinstien...

Candidates "say" a lot of things and do the opposite or do nothing... I'm finding that I have to rely on my "spidey" sense more than I used to.

I'm kind of tired of not being listened to. If a candidate can't respond during a campaign, it won't get better during their term.

Hell... I got a 2A response letter from Obama... didn't like the content, but he responded...

Doug L
02-10-2010, 6:56 AM
Rasmussen poll results, likely voters, January 14, 2010:

Fiorina 43%
vs.
Boxer 46%

DeVore 40%
vs.
Boxer 46%

Campbell 42%
vs.
Boxer 46%

40%, 42%, and 43%....all within the margin of error.

Boxer under 50% is definitely bad news for her.

Carly Fiorina. Did we really need another weasel-wording, female ex-CEO?????

Could someone please tell Tom Campbell to just go home.

I'll take Chuck DeVore, hands down.

Corky43
02-10-2010, 7:36 AM
Our club collected 85 signatures at one meeting and shoot to get him on the ballot. We are working on more. If you live in or around the corona area stop by Annie get you guns and sign the petition. We will send it in for you. We have until February 16th (need time to send petition in)

nk-1911
02-10-2010, 7:47 AM
He'll get my vote.

delisle
02-10-2010, 7:52 AM
Our club collected 85 signatures at one meeting and shoot to get him on the ballot. We are working on more. If you live in or around the corona area stop by Annie get you guns and sign the petition. We will send it in for you. We have until February 16th (need time to send petition in)

See you on my way home today ;)

7x57
02-10-2010, 8:02 AM
The biggest question is how much support DeVore gets from the national Tea Party/grassroots people. Since the CA GOP doesn't like him, that's his realistic route to the nomination. I think they tend to wait longer before deciding to weigh in, though. And they're much more likely to weigh in if DeVore shows he can run a good campaign on his own, because then he only needs a margin of victory.

Whether there would be a backlash because CA doesn't like other states interfering in its politics even though it likes to dictate to them, I can't say.

7x57

IGOTDIRT4U
02-10-2010, 8:16 AM
Rasmussen poll results, likely voters, January 14, 2010:

Fiorina 43%
vs.
Boxer 46%

DeVore 40%
vs.
Boxer 46%

Campbell 42%
vs.
Boxer 46%

40%, 42%, and 43%....all within the margin of error.

Boxer under 50% is definitely bad news for her.

Carly Fiorina. Did we really need another weasel-wording, female ex-CEO?????

Could someone please tell Tom Campbell to just go home.

I'll take Chuck DeVore, hands down.

The thing to remember is that Devore, if he wins the Primary, will pick up votes from the other candidates potential voters. That will certainly tighten the race.

As to the Tea Party question, if the CA GOP is not committed to the winning Primary candidate, and he holds himself out as a small government, low taxes conservative, he should look into some sort of recognition by the Tea Party.

7x57
02-10-2010, 8:57 AM
As to the Tea Party question, if the CA GOP is not committed to the winning Primary candidate, and he holds himself out as a small government, low taxes conservative, he should look into some sort of recognition by the Tea Party.

He is, no doubt. The question is whether they'll decide it's a strategic race to go all-out for. They can't do that in every race, so they try to pick and choose for maximum effect.

Convincing them that a Republican can actually win in California would help a lot.

7x57

spencerhut
02-11-2010, 1:01 PM
We all need to get behind this guy. We need about 100 more like him in the Senate and 435 like him in the House for a few years to just start undo the mess we have gotten ourselves into.

Too much debt
Too many laws
Not enough Liberty

Make sure they can read
Give them a pocket copy of the Constitution
Make sure they read and heed the Constitution
Vote them in if they will uphold the oath
Vote them out if they won't

Ironmany2k
03-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I heard Devore at the Tea Party Express tour and he sounds like he is on our side. The Tea Party supports Devore. I don't know about the other two (R) candidates, but Devore is definately pro 2nd.

http://chuckdevore.com/n/news.asp?artid=271&headline=The-Tea-Party-Express-Endorses-Chuck-DeVore

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections2/election_2010/election_2010_senate_elections/california/election_2010_california_senate

KylaGWolf
03-29-2010, 1:15 PM
I will more than likely vote for Devore but will wait to see what else I hear about him by election time and I don't mean the adds on TV because we all know that Boxer will try to slime her way to a win.

As for governor I won't vote for Witman I don't care if she can give each and every legal resident of CA 10 million dollars a year for life tax free I wouldn't do it. Right now it looks like Brown is our best bet for governor and I hate to say that after remember his first run at it.

BigDogatPlay
03-29-2010, 1:36 PM
The Tea Party group over the weekend openly endorsed Chuck DeVore. This is, to my understanding, the first time the group has openly endorsed anyone.

If a California voter is only voting for a Senate candidate on the issue of gun rights, then Chuck DeVore is the candidate they should be voting for. If all you are voting is fiscal issues, then DeVore is still your best first choice. If you are voting social issues, then probably Fiorina or the utterly worthless / feckless Tom Campbell should get your vote.

Of course if DeVore should happen by some chance to win the Republican nomination, I expect the state party to get it's undies tucked smartly up it's crack and refuse to support him in the general.

That is what the state party does to real conservatives, after all.

jnojr
03-29-2010, 2:56 PM
This is probably why:
TPM (http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/01/poll-tom-campbell-leads-republican-senate-primary-in-california-gopers-all-trail-boxer.php)
The numbers: Campbell 30%, former Hewlett Packard CEO Carly Fiorina 25%, and DeVore 6%, with 39% undecided. Back in October, Fiorina had 21% and DeVore 20%, before Campbell entered the race.

Don't care.

We're talking primaries here. If you're voting for who you think is going to win, as opposed for who you think should win, you're doing it wrong.

Have no fear, you'll probably still get to vote for a RINO or Boxer in November. But, on June 8th, you have a chance to vote for the right guy, not the lesser of two evils. Why wouldn't you jump at that?

jnojr
03-29-2010, 2:59 PM
As for governor I won't vote for Witman I don't care if she can give each and every legal resident of CA 10 million dollars a year for life tax free I wouldn't do it. Right now it looks like Brown is our best bet for governor and I hate to say that after remember his first run at it.

Sure, if you want AB32 strangling jobs and business and more screeching at the altar of the global warming church.

If Whitman isn't an option for you, instead of voting for Brown, why not vote Libertarian? If nothing else, let the Libertarian Party get more votes and stand a better chance of becoming a real contender. Instead of voting against someone, how about voting for small government, more liberty, etc?

Ironmany2k
03-29-2010, 4:23 PM
...why not vote Libertarian?

Because they are for open borders.

spencerhut
03-29-2010, 7:29 PM
Nice to see this thread did not die. I'ce seen Chuck since I made this post and the guy is a good person. We need good people, but there are too many morons out there to vote for a good commercial instead of a smart, decent guy like Chuck.

Carley or Chuck? No contest, Chuck - 100%

Ironmany2k
03-30-2010, 7:48 AM
Nice to see this thread did not die. I'ce seen Chuck since I made this post and the guy is a good person. We need good people, but there are too many morons out there to vote for a good commercial instead of a smart, decent guy like Chuck.

Carley or Chuck? No contest, Chuck - 100%

I agree! Chuck DeVore 100%

doorman
03-30-2010, 7:56 AM
Ok lets go Chuck!

yellowfin
03-30-2010, 8:02 AM
Whether there would be a backlash because CA doesn't like other states interfering in its politics even though it likes to dictate to them, I can't say.

7x57I've never noticed CA complaining when NY, NJ, MA, and IL influence CA's politics.

guntrust
03-30-2010, 8:46 AM
I will vote for Chuck Devore, having heard him speak several times in small and large groups. He is definitely brilliant, and definitely appears to be a constitutional conservative (mandatory requirement for my vote). I do wish I knew more specifically about his "belief in second amendment" but i think in his case it is friendly to us. I have met too many vets unfortunately that do not support carry, and that is my only concern. He did not seem very eager to talk about it, but maybe it was the venue and maybe his experience has taught him the fine line that must be walked in california. I just wish we had folks running that validated our views openly.

Ironmany2k
03-30-2010, 5:14 PM
Chuck DeVore will be on Hannity on Fox News Network today at 6:00 PM. Sorry for the late notice.

Ironmany2k
03-30-2010, 5:59 PM
Devore's Voting Record on Gun Issues:

Date Bill Title Vote Outcome
08/13/2008 Expanding Loaded Firearm Restrictions
SB 1171 No Bill Passed - House
(45 - 32)

05/29/2008 Regulation Of Ammunition Sales
AB 2062 No Bill Passed - House
(42 - 32)

05/29/2007 Crime Gun Identification Act of 2007
AB 1471 NV Bill Passed - House
(44 - 31)

08/30/2006 Microstamping of Bullets Fired from Semi-Automatic Guns
AB 352 No Concurrence Vote Failed - House
(40 - 37)

Ironmany2k
03-30-2010, 6:23 PM
DeVore's stance on Gun Issues
Related: Key Votes Ratings
Indicate which principles you support (if any) regarding guns.
No a) Should background checks be required on gun sales between private citizens at gun shows?
Yes b) Should citizens be allowed to carry concealed guns?
No c) Should a license be required for gun possession?
Yes d) Do you support current levels of enforcement of existing state restrictions on the purchase and possession of guns?
No e) Do you support current state restrictions on the purchase and possession of guns?

franklinarmory
03-30-2010, 6:40 PM
California needs DeVore and more men and women like him!

mbuna
03-30-2010, 7:00 PM
Sorry guys. Just watched Devore v Fiorina on Hannity and Chuck blew it. There's a time to throw blows and this was not it. Leaves the average voter with the impression that he's a bitterman. At 6% he needs as much positive pub as possible. Bad form.

franklinarmory
03-31-2010, 7:47 AM
Yeah but Fiorina's body movements and facial expressions showed what a B____ she is. You're right though. Chuck needs a smoother presentation.

Skullster
03-31-2010, 8:01 AM
Sofar out of my choices to either request a D ballot or an R ballot for the primary as I am a registered Independent I think I will go R and vote for Chuck. Was going to request a D so I could vote against Boxer but honestly don't know if any D's will challenge her in the Primary?

Ironmany2k
03-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Sofar out of my choices to either request a D ballot or an R ballot for the primary as I am a registered Independent I think I will go R and vote for Chuck. Was going to request a D so I could vote against Boxer but honestly don't know if any D's will challenge her in the Primary?

Get an R ballot. Boxer has the D primary rapped up. We need help in getting a conservative with a Pro Gun record in there and that is Chuck DeVore.