PDA

View Full Version : technical barreling question

ohsmily
01-13-2006, 11:16 PM
This question is for gunsmiths and others in the know...(not for idle opinion or what someone thinks they heard).

Does anyone know if there is a problem with barreling a blued steel action with a stainless barrel? (I am building a couple of Remington 700's for myself)
Usually, stainless barrels go on stainless actions and chrome moly barrels go on standard carbon steel actions. BUT, I don't know if this is for aesthetics and unformity or if there is a good empirical reason for keeping stainless with stainless and regular steel together.

I appreciate informed responses. Thank you.

Josh
01-13-2006, 11:24 PM
the only problem I can think of is contamination of the SS from the carbon steel.

Small pieces of regular steel embed into the SS and rust acting like a seed for rust to propagate from.

This is only a problem if you dont keep it oiled and take normal rust preventative measures.

delloro
01-14-2006, 11:12 AM
This question is for gunsmiths and others in the know...(not for idle opinion or what someone thinks they heard).

well, I heard that winchester and other major manufacturers have done it for years without ill effect.

of course, that's just what I have heard, as I have never personally performed a double-blind trial of stainless/carbon v. carbon/carbon rifles.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/images/535967l.jpg

Pulsar
01-14-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm pretty sure it's just an asthetic thing, thing only problem I can really think of is that the steels could have too much or not enough difference in hardness, either causing excessive wear or some nasty binding.

triaged
01-14-2006, 11:53 PM
I have no first hand knowlage about receivers and barrles...but I do know about stainless steel threads into steel. It tends to gall. With a good anti-seize it isn't normally a problem.

-hanko
01-15-2006, 6:06 AM
Most likely to gall is stainless-to-stainless; never-seez fixes that. Get a good barrel vise & receiver wrench & it's easy.

-hanko

Bob Hostetter
01-15-2006, 11:41 AM
There is no problem using a S/S barrel on a Carbon steel reciever...........