PDA

View Full Version : My CLEO just phoned me with regard to my C&R application

Lagduf
02-08-2010, 4:04 PM
I'm in Auburn, CA for those who want to know. Police Chief Valerie Harris.

We're doing a bit of phone tag at the moment, she left me a message, I left her a message to inform of a good time to call me to discuss whatever it is she wants, etc.

My guess on the reason for the call? Probably that they have no idea what a C&R license is/what it's for. Especially since (apparently) the CLEO doesn't have to do anything with the form unless they know that I may be a prohibited person. Why does the BATF have you send the application to the CLEO?

Is there something I'm missing?

Anyone had a similar situation?

D-Man
02-08-2010, 4:05 PM
My CLEO never contacted me. I just left a copy in an envelope for the Chief of Police. As an 03 FFL, you just have to have your bound book. The CLEO has no say over you getting your 03 FFL.

ke6guj
02-08-2010, 4:08 PM
My guess on the reason for the call? Probably that they have no idea what a C&R license is/what it's for. Especially since (apparently) the CLEO doesn't have to do anything with the form unless they know that I may be a prohibited person. Why does the BATF have you send the application to the CLEO?
Is there something I'm missing?

Anyone had a similar situation?

The reason that BATF has you send a copy to the CLEO is that if the CLEO knows a reason that you would be prohibited from receiving an 03FFL, the CLEO may contact BATF directly and let them know.

Lagduf
02-08-2010, 4:09 PM
My CLEO never contacted me. I just left a copy in an envelope for the Chief of Police. As an 03 FFL, you just have to have your bound book. The CLEO has no say over you getting your 03 FFL.

That was my understanding. So why send it to the CLEO? Just incase they know something that might disqualify you that the BATF won't?

I included a note stating what the application was for and that I was required to send the application to the CLEO of my locality and to give me a call if there were any questions.

EDIT: Post above answered it, confirming my thoughts.

ke6guj
02-08-2010, 4:15 PM
That was my understanding. So why send it to the CLEO? Just incase they know something that might disqualify you that the BATF won't?

I included a note stating what the application was for and that I was required to send the application to the CLEO of my locality and to give me a call if there were any questions.
EDIT: Post above answered it, confirming my thoughts.there's your problem right there, you gave them an invitation to call you :D

I think my letter stated something like "I am required to send this to you, but you are not required to respond to it. You are not even required to maintain a copy of this if you don't want to".

Lagduf
02-08-2010, 4:27 PM
there's your problem right there, you gave them an invitation to call you :D

I think my letter stated something like "I am required to send this to you, but you are not required to respond to it. You are not even required to maintain a copy of this if you don't want to".

Yeah, I know. I was just trying to be a nice guy. They already know where I'm at, and have my phone number anyway (it's on the form). So they could have called if they wanted to. I'm more than happy to field any legitimate questions about the license, and only that. Anything else is not of their concern.

I included the note based on reading that some people who just dropped off the form at their CLEOs office had their CLEOs call them anyway to ask what the form was about/what they were supposed to do with it.

I forgot to add I live like within walking distance from City Hall. Ha! Maybe that caught their attention.

loather
02-08-2010, 4:27 PM
I didn't even send a letter alongside mine. I just stuck mine in the mail explicitly addressed to the Escondido PD chief. Around 6 weeks later, my license arrived in the mail and I went about making the requisite copies.

Take note that you shouldn't sign the original license. A lot of places require an original photocopy signed in ink. I scanned mine to PDF and can print out copies on demand :shrug:

Lagduf
02-08-2010, 4:49 PM
Yes sir, I wont be signing that that original! I plan to scan and photocopy dozens of copies and then keep the original with all my other important stuff (Birth Certificate, etc)

When I get my C&R I'm going to purchase an M1 Garand. I know I don't need a C&R to get one through the CMP (though it does meet one of the requirements) but I'm using the time from now until I get my license to save up a little more cash for the rifle and ammo.

PolishMike
02-08-2010, 5:23 PM
I stuck mine in an envelope without anything else, addressed to the COP. Never heard anything.

Same with my 01.

paul0660
02-08-2010, 5:29 PM

You were expecting donuts?

Lagduf
02-08-2010, 5:34 PM
You were expecting donuts?

I'd have loved to have accepted an invite to a donut shop for a chat about a C&R license with my Chief of Police.

bruce381
02-08-2010, 6:24 PM
My local chief SIGNED the copy and sent it back to me

Mssr. Eleganté
02-08-2010, 6:38 PM
Why does the BATF have you send the application to the CLEO?

Back in 1968 when the current FFL system was set up, your local police department would have known a lot more about you than the BATF or the FBI did. It is just a holdover from that time.

Lagduf
02-08-2010, 6:49 PM
My local chief SIGNED the copy and sent it back to me

LOL, haven't heard of a CLEO doing that with a C&R.

SJgunguy24
02-08-2010, 7:29 PM
When I dropped mine off I was told that people like me shouldn't have guns (not LEO) and if it was his choice he'd round them up and throw us in jail.
I was also told I have no idea what I was talking about even after I got a letter from the sheriff's office stating what I tried to tell the cop in the first place.
Then he threw my app away and threatened to lock me up for trespassing. SJPD is NOT gun friendly...or at least officer elitist ***** wasn't.

Lagduf
02-08-2010, 7:34 PM
When I dropped mine off I was told that people like me shouldn't have guns (not LEO) and if it was his choice he'd round them up and throw us in jail.
I was also told I have no idea what I was talking about even after I got a letter from the sheriff's office stating what I tried to tell the cop in the first place.
Then he threw my app away and threatened to lock me up for trespassing. SJPD is NOT gun friendly...or at least officer elitist ***** wasn't.

What..You got a letter from the Sheriff's office stating what? I'm not sure what you are trying to say in your second sentence.

I'm curious to hear what/if anything my CLEO has to say (hope she calls back) but again my thought is that they just might not know what a C&R is up at City Hall.

SJgunguy24
02-08-2010, 7:45 PM
What..You got a letter from the Sheriff's office stating what? I'm not sure what you are trying to say in your second sentence.

I'm curious to hear what/if anything my CLEO has to say (hope she calls back) but again my thought is that they just might not know what a C&R is up at City Hall.

The desk guy at SJPD told me my app had to go to the SO, I told him it doesn't work that way. If there is 200,000 people in the county then the app goes to the agency who shows up when I dial 911. That is SJPD for me. I tried to tell this guy that and was told I have no idea what i'm talking about.
So I went to the SO and the desk lady cut me a letter and had a Sergent sign it and I took that letter back to SJPD and dude went off on me.

ke6guj
02-08-2010, 7:51 PM
In that situation, I would have just dropped it in the mail, noted who it was sent to on the ATF copy and called it done. I've heard of LEA's sending it back for various reasons and wanting follow up. All you are required to do is send it to the CLEO, if they don't want it to take it or don't know wht to do with it, it isn't your problem. You follow the ATF instructions, and if the LEA doesn't like it, they can take it up with ATF.

Lagduf
02-08-2010, 8:08 PM
The desk guy at SJPD told me my app had to go to the SO, I told him it doesn't work that way. If there is 200,000 people in the county then the app goes to the agency who shows up when I dial 911. That is SJPD for me. I tried to tell this guy that and was told I have no idea what i'm talking about.
So I went to the SO and the desk lady cut me a letter and had a Sergent sign it and I took that letter back to SJPD and dude went off on me.

Hahaha. Wow.

I'm glad I at least decided to mail it versus just dropping it off at the Police Department.

With regard to renewing your C&R do you have to go through a similar process again or do you just send a form + payment to the BATF?

ke6guj
02-08-2010, 8:13 PM
IIRC, you do have to send a copy of the renewal to the CLEO as well.

383green
02-08-2010, 8:29 PM
I mailed mine to the CLEO, along with a cover letter explaining that no action is required on their part, and I highlighted the "no action..." part with a yellow highlighter. My hope was that the clerk's hand wouldn't lose any momentum between opening the envelope and dropping the contents in the round file. ;)

SJgunguy24
02-08-2010, 8:30 PM

And i'll walk in there and drop that off in person too. The bully needs to go down.

WokMaster1
02-08-2010, 8:37 PM
OP, more than likely the Chief has a group buy on Mosin & was shy of 1 guy to meet the pricing. So she trying to see if you're interested.;)

hoffmang
02-08-2010, 9:00 PM

Are you sure about that?

-Gene

ke6guj
02-08-2010, 9:05 PM
Are you sure about that?

-GeneI'm going off memory, but I seem to recall that my renewal had a copy that went to the CLEO. It was a year or so ago, so I don't recall exactly.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-08-2010, 9:06 PM
Are you sure about that?

-Gene

You do have to send a copy of your renewal application to your CLEO, just like with the original application.

ke6guj
02-08-2010, 9:09 PM
and this writeup from 2007 says that as well, http://www.surplusrifle.com/articles2008/crrenewal/pdf/crrenewal.pdf

hoffmang
02-08-2010, 9:24 PM
and this writeup from 2007 says that as well, http://www.surplusrifle.com/articles2008/crrenewal/pdf/crrenewal.pdf

:whistling:

-Gene

Mssr. Eleganté
02-08-2010, 10:39 PM

-Gene

I distinctly remember seeing you hand the envelope containing the CLEO copy of your renewal application to the Mail Man. But then he had engine trouble...

http://media.morristechnology.com/mediafilesvr/upload/forsythnews/article/mail_truck_6_jd.jpg

Rumpled
02-08-2010, 11:09 PM
I'm looking at my renewal right now and question 4 is
"Has a completed COPY of this renewal application form (front and back) been sent or delivered to the Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) of the locality in which the premises are located?"
asks for date sent and CLEO and title.

Guess I have to look mine up again; we got a new Lt not long ago (OCSD LT is our CLEO)

Kinda funny that I have to say in #4 that I have done this when I have not yet completed the application - it's impossible to answer that you have done it since you haven't completed it yet.

Lagduf
02-09-2010, 2:26 PM
OP, more than likely the Chief has a group buy on Mosin & was shy of 1 guy to meet the pricing. So she trying to see if you're interested.;)

:D

One can only hope. Told her to give me a call after 4pm when I'd for sure be home, we'll see If I get a callback.

Rhys898
02-09-2010, 4:59 PM

-Gene

been there, done that :D

doesn't really matter now, I let it lapse last year. Day after it was expired I transferred all the info into a word doc and tossed the bound book in the fireplace.