PDA

View Full Version : Tom Toler running for Solano County Sheriff

jehall01
02-08-2010, 3:41 PM
I read an article in the online about the recent violence in Vallejo and found out Tom Toler was running for Solano County Sheriff, so I then I found his website http://www.toler4sheriff.com/index.htm And asked him what he would do if he were elected. Sounded good, then I asked him how he felt about 2a and CCW. He said if you meet all the background and training and all other requirements he would see no problem issuing them for self defense or just worried about whats going on in the community, and compared crimes of Arizona and California. Sounded like he would stay true to his word, but call him for yourself find out and maybe spread the word to all calgunners in Solano county

Racefiend
02-08-2010, 5:06 PM
Looked up some info on him, since I live in Solano county, and he seems like a good guy. I like how he's not accepting any pay and his appointees will also not accept pay for the first year. One thing that might hurt him, though:

There is one significant hurdle Toler will have to clear. The candidate currently faces a felony count of unlawful possession of an assault weapon. If convicted, he would not be eligible for the sheriff's post.

Gray Peterson
02-08-2010, 5:09 PM
Looked up some info on him, since I live in Solano county, and he seems like a good guy. I like how he's not accepting any pay and his appointees will also not accept pay for the first year. One thing that might hurt him, though:

Stick a fork in him, he's done.

gotgunz
02-08-2010, 5:16 PM
Stick a fork in him, he's done.

^^^^^

This.

Glock22Fan
02-08-2010, 6:33 PM
Nah, start a dialog. It might not even be a California illegal EBR. We all know what *****holes D.A.'s can be and we should make sure that he knows what is and what isn't legal.

prkprisoner
02-09-2010, 8:35 AM
Toler might seem like our friend, but he is not the type of person we want in charge of anything. He is no stranger to law enforcement.

Tom Toler
02-16-2010, 11:34 PM
I want to say thanks for posting this nice comment about me. I will in deed stay true to my word. I did in fact state, promise or say that CCW should be available to any person that is not otherwise restricted from having one. I come from a family of farmers in southeast Arkansas, grew up with guns.
The fact we are so free in this country is not by accident. Guns played a big role in front of people that loved and had reason to protect their family and country. I'm not sure why any person in elected office, or not ,would think they could keep Americans from owning, having and yes, carrying a loaded gun on their person. I really don't know why they would want that either. Maybe like other politicans they don't want the blame if someone gets' shot. The " I told you so people" will be out over that one. I am a combat veteran as my dad and his dad was. We all love our country, we all love our family, we all believe in god and we all believe we all have the right to bear arms. Yes you do have my word.
As for being a stranger to law enforcement, I am not. That is why I keep my eye on them. It was a law enforcement officer that was arrested by the attorney general for giving false information on my case. The case where guns were reported on my ranch by the man that threatened my kids. He and his son were the only source the sheriff used to get a search warrant. He was a commander with the dept of correction. He is fired now.

I am happy to meet with any of you in person to talk more about what concerns you or what you see needs to change. I will be at the JFK Center in Vallejo Feb 17, 2010 from 6 to 8 PM helping with some training and doing what we can do to help protect these people. I am sure the "G" word will be used.

Respectfully,

Tom Toler
Candidate For Sheriff

WokMaster1
02-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Tom, Solano county does not want you. C'mon down to Contra Costa, will ya?:D

GuyW
02-17-2010, 10:09 AM
...."no stranger to LE"??

Well, I guess! Seeing as how having a POST certificate is a legal requirement to be Sheriff...

BigDogatPlay
02-17-2010, 1:24 PM
Not trying to pour pee out of a boot here but does Mr. Toler meet the requirements of Government Code section 24004.3 concerning eligibility to run for sheriff? Which requirements were upheld in 2003. (http://www.metnews.com/articles/rawl041603.htm)

If not, then isn't the discussion pointless?

Tom Toler
02-17-2010, 9:26 PM
Good question BigDog. Yes I do and yes I have already filed it with the registrar's office along with supporting documents for those who just didn't realize I have been around so long.

Drop me a line if any questions come to mind.

BigDogatPlay
02-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Excellent... a quick perusal of your CV on your website didn't appear to satisfy the requirements. So, I'll thank you kindly for your reply and wish you good luck in the campaign.

jehall01
02-17-2010, 11:37 PM
I attended the Town meeting at JFK and met with Tom Toler. A lot of concerned citizens, they broke up in 5 groups. One was government and legislation, and sitting there was Brady Bunch lady, the vice mayor led that one, they had an easel and they wrote Problems, the first problem was gun violence, and other problem plaguing the city ( oh and God not guns!), then the wrote what solutions can be make to fix the problem, one of them was stopping the gun show held at the county fairgrounds. And when I saw that I'm laughing in my head because because some of the problems written up there is jobs and unemployment and the city trying to find ways to bring in income. I was in another area of the meeting when I saw those. And a I said the some guy next to me, " If the city is looking for more ways to attract businesses to the city to raise money, why are they trying to get rid of ones that are already bringing in money?"(pointing at the proposal of trying to ban the gun show) I believe the Brady lady heard me. It was definitely informative, I will attend more when they have them, and have notes to bring in ideas. Just wanted to listen in.
God and not guns! We can't even teach about Gods laws in public schools, "Right" and "wrong" are seldom used as guides for behavior. Put God back in schools and you got yourself a down payment on future law abiding citizens!

CalNRA
02-18-2010, 6:13 AM
I'm not sure why any person in elected office, or not ,would think they could keep Americans from owning, having and yes, carrying a loaded gun on their person. I really don't know why they would want that either. Maybe like other politicans they don't want the blame if someone gets' shot. The " I told you so people" will be out over that one.

Mr. Toler:

Another poster has stated that he felt you were "cool" to the idea of CCWs. Is it possible for you to elaborate on this issue?

Thank you.

Someone else mentioned Tom Toler, who is running for Solano County Sheriff. I don't know the man, but he was cool to the idea of issuing CCWs. He suggested tasers, and altering the tone of one's voice. Not sure he gets it yet, because all of the examples he gave were from the perspective of a sworn officer of the law, uniformed, and going to arrest someone or defuse a potentially dangerous situation. His presentation was short, however it didn't explain how my tone of voice will affect the man assaulting me or my family at the gas station or walking down the street.

jehall01
02-18-2010, 8:19 AM
When I spoke to him on the phone he said personal protection is a good reason to issuing them as long as you meet the backgroung and training requirements

Tom Toler
02-19-2010, 8:36 PM
I get it Dietrich, arming people who like the idea of having a gun but have never used one is concerning to me when talking to group. I use tazer and my voice tone when arresting 10 or more per month as a bail agent. I also have to pay for my attorney fees when I have to explain a situation.

As far as the right to bear arms we should be a "shall" state. It makes no more since to me to question an American as to why they want to carry a loaded gun on their person than it does to ask why they want to vote, have free speech or anyother right we have given to us by other Americans who fought that fight long ago.

Let me be clear, unless otherwise restricted by a legal law, any American would be issued a CCW should they so desire. Who would I or any other person elected or not think we are to question which right an American will be allowed today?

I have been shot at and I have returned fire. I have seen the end result when it was a clear 100% self defense, it was either me or him situation. No problem at all slept fine.

I have seen it go the other way as well. Because of that I would expect anyone wanting to carry would complete some reasonable training. I think there is a course for 2 days for those who know nothing. The folks who have training would be expected to shoot for a range master one time per year. If I was sheriff I would open the range one day per month and provide the range master(s) to observe and sign you off.

I am concerned about open carry only because of the remarks of a loud mouth amping things up when they saw a weapon. I have told my kids' all their lives that it starts with somebody's mouth and they gets out of control.

CalNRA
02-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Let me be clear, unless otherwise restricted by a legal law, any American would be issued a CCW should they so desire. Who would I or any other person elected or not think we are to question which right an American will be allowed today?

I have seen it go the other way as well. Because of that I would expect anyone wanting to carry would complete some reasonable training. I think there is a course for 2 days for those who know nothing. The folks who have training would be expected to shoot for a range master one time per year. If I was sheriff I would open the range one day per month and provide the range master(s) to observe and sign you off.

Mr Toler:

That is a reasonable policy seeing how we are in California. Please understand that we have been promised CCW reform before(see Sheriff McGuiness of Sacramento for example) and the progress is slow. I can only hope that when you are elected you will stand by your words. Solano County needs that kind of "change" now more than ever.

spddrcr
02-19-2010, 11:42 PM
I attended the Town meeting at JFK and met with Tom Toler. A lot of concerned citizens, they broke up in 5 groups. One was government and legislation, and sitting there was Brady Bunch lady, the vice mayor led that one, they had an easel and they wrote Problems, the first problem was gun violence, and other problem plaguing the city ( oh and God not guns!), then the wrote what solutions can be make to fix the problem, one of them was stopping the gun show held at the county fairgrounds. And when I saw that I'm laughing in my head because because some of the problems written up there is jobs and unemployment and the city trying to find ways to bring in income. I was in another area of the meeting when I saw those. And a I said the some guy next to me, " If the city is looking for more ways to attract businesses to the city to raise money, why are they trying to get rid of ones that are already bringing in money?"(pointing at the proposal of trying to ban the gun show) I believe the Brady lady heard me. It was definitely informative, I will attend more when they have them, and have notes to bring in ideas. Just wanted to listen in.
God and not guns! We can't even teach about Gods laws in public schools, "Right" and "wrong" are seldom used as guides for behavior. Put God back in schools and you got yourself a down payment on future law abiding citizens!

while i understand what your trying to say and imply with the god comment but I can seem to recall numerous serial killers and over all bad people that all claim god told them to do what they did or that god was speaking to them so no IMHO gods laws being taught in school really is not the answer. not to mention which version of god would you suggest be taught in school? A lot of gods laws dont quite go along with current day laws or customs.

thebronze
02-20-2010, 1:54 PM
This guy can't be any worse than that law-breaker Gary Stanton...

sfpcservice
02-20-2010, 2:10 PM
This guy can't be any worse than that law-breaker Gary Stanton...

As with any election, I want to look at all the candidates fairly before I make a decision. I'd like to know, in your opinion, what law(s) is Sheriff Stanton guilty of breaking?

Also, for Mr. Toler: If you are going to make a serious run at this office, you need to utilize proper grammar. I am not attacking, I'm interested in your point of view, but a couple of quotes in the newspaper which are grammatically incorrect, and you're done. Please take this as constructive criticism and continue the campaign!

thebronze
02-20-2010, 2:39 PM
As with any election, I want to look at all the candidates fairly before I make a decision. I'd like to know, in your opinion, what law(s) is Sheriff Stanton guilty of breaking?

Also, for Mr. Toler: If you are going to make a serious run at this office, you need to utilize proper grammar. I am not attacking, I'm interested in your point of view, but a couple of quotes in the newspaper which are grammatically incorrect, and you're done. Please take this as constructive criticism and continue the campaign!

Specifically, Stanton took job actions against Jeff Lastusky (Chief Deputy) as retribution for Lastusky serving in the Air Force Reserve. Stanton was told what he was doing was illegal under both State and Federal law, but he did it anyway. He ended up losing that battle.

Stanton has been the Sheriff for so long that he thinks he's above the law. (FTR, I've worked for four different LE agencies in Solano County.)

He needs to go.

BTW, here (http://legacy.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040907/news_1m7reserves.html)'s the only think on-line I could find about the incident I'm referring to.

Tom Toler
02-20-2010, 6:39 PM
I can tell the reporters my answers and or comments. They don't always get it right. I do welcome your comments and I do agree with you about the S.O.

The Captain was disrepected by Stanton and the other's that enjoy their protection here in this country at the expense of people like Captain Jeff Lastusky, they need to move along. I would like to see Lastusky put into an appointed position with in the sheriff's dept and let him continue with his excellent record and management style.

For anybody to take aim on a person serving their county and cause them harm in any fashion should not stand. The fact that anybody had to even tell Stanton about these laws such as the soldier, sailor relief act 1942 just tells me that they never served their country. I hope I can offer the Captain some relief as some point. Please keep an eye on me and my effort here and feel free to weigh in. My email is tomtoler@earthlink.net

Thanks for the comments

Tom

maddoggie13
03-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Tom,
Welcome to Calguns. You have my vote as long as you hold true that "American would be issued a CCW should they so desire." I just sign-up to voluntee to help you at your website. Looking forward to have the right American as Solano County sheriff.
Good luck,
Maddoggie13. :rockon:

FBJR
04-06-2010, 8:43 AM
Looks like the courts made the final decision anyway.

Gray Peterson
04-06-2010, 9:21 AM
Looks like the courts made the final decision anyway.

Link please?

prkprisoner
04-06-2010, 9:42 AM
http://www.thereporter.com/news/ci_14828156