PDA

View Full Version : MODS please delete! Problem resolved

delisle
02-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Hello everyone. Got a little issue with my laptop, I tried to install .net framework and now my computer wont boot up with out a vista disc and my product key. :eek::mad::eek:

I have my product key but no disc. Got lost in most recent move. Can anyone help? :D

delisle
02-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Or maybe a link to were i can download it?

delisle
02-08-2010, 4:57 PM
Please help!

joefrank64k
02-08-2010, 5:05 PM
What version of Vista do you need?

tngay510
02-08-2010, 5:46 PM
for laptops, they should be build in. go search on google.

Phireglass
02-08-2010, 7:01 PM
do you know how to torrent?

Knight
02-08-2010, 7:05 PM
Contact the manufacturer of your laptop maybe?

delisle
02-08-2010, 9:01 PM
Contact the manufacturer of your laptop maybe?

Thanks, i really didnt even think to do that. That is a really great idea :thumbsup:

tngay510
02-08-2010, 9:37 PM
google your model number with the term "reformat" into it. should show you steps on how to do it. if you were to get a copy of vista on a disc from the manufacturer, they will charge you for it. post up which company made the laptop and the model number of the laptop you have

Turo
02-08-2010, 9:39 PM
do you know how to torrent?

I agree. It's free, no hassle, and with luck you'll get your copy within 10 hours.

Btw, any vista cd is the same as any other. The only difference is the product key code.

delisle
02-09-2010, 7:30 AM
google your model number with the term "reformat" into it. should show you steps on how to do it. if you were to get a copy of vista on a disc from the manufacturer, they will charge you for it. post up which company made the laptop and the model number of the laptop you have

My laptop is a HP Pavilion dx6650us

BTW, thanks for all the help. Left up to me (notorious redneck) I would probably take it to the range and shoot .45 shaped holes through it

delisle
02-09-2010, 7:35 AM
Also I checked on the HP site last night and they want 23 bucks shipped for the recovery CDs to fix my laptop. I will spend the money if I have to but in this age of free information i would think that I could get it for free.

tngay510
02-09-2010, 9:25 AM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071222083008AAIOapP

tngay510
02-09-2010, 9:27 AM
so just tap f11 when the laptop is still booting up

delisle
02-09-2010, 9:29 AM
Great link, the problem is most of the suggestions are requiring me to wipe my hard drive :( I have some stuff on there I dont want to lose.http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071222083008AAIOapP

delisle
02-09-2010, 9:30 AM
so just tap f11 when the laptop is still booting up

ok then what? I mean what does f11 do? Seriously I am a real dunce when it comes to the more technical trouble shooting on computers

tngay510
02-09-2010, 10:29 AM
so are you trying to restore the laptop back to factory settings?

tngay510
02-09-2010, 10:29 AM
f11 will bring the laptop during boot up to restore factory settings

DocSkinner
02-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Also I checked on the HP site last night and they want 23 bucks shipped for the recovery CDs to fix my laptop. I will spend the money if I have to but in this age of free information i would think that I could get it for free.

You may want to just bight (bite?) the bullet on this one. Depends on how much you value your time. The straight Vista disc won't have all your HP drivers and such touchpads, memory readers, etc. etc., and you will have to spend a ton of time finding what is working, what isn't working (like having your DVD playback license...) downloading them as well, and installing them, etc.

$23 for the full good to go reformat recovery is pretty reasonable and will save you a ton of headaches.

delisle
02-09-2010, 12:03 PM
You may want to just bight (bite?) the bullet on this one. Depends on how much you value your time. The straight Vista disc won't have all your HP drivers and such touchpads, memory readers, etc. etc., and you will have to spend a ton of time finding what is working, what isn't working (like having your DVD playback license...) downloading them as well, and installing them, etc.

$23 for the full good to go reformat recovery is pretty reasonable and will save you a ton of headaches.

Very true, I am going to bite the bullet on this one. Dont like it, not one bit but I gotta get it done and get it sold. I want more .45 pistols!

delisle
02-09-2010, 12:38 PM
f11 will bring the laptop during boot up to restore factory settings

the question is will i lose all of my documents/pictures?

smird
02-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Will it boot into safe mode? F8 during bootup then choose safe mode.

Brad

delisle
02-09-2010, 2:41 PM
Will it boot into safe mode? F8 during bootup then choose safe mode.

Brad

Every time I try to do that it goes to the screen telling me to insert a recovery disc. Thanks for the tip

jb7706
02-09-2010, 4:03 PM
Do you have access to another PC? If so take a trip to Fry's or similar store and look for a USB external HDD adapter. I picked one up a year + ago for $20, has connections for laptop drives, SATA and IDE drives etc. Pull your hard drive out of your laptop (if you can change a light bulb you can do this) and plug it into the USB device. Copy your data off the drive (it will show as e, f, g etc. drive) to the C of the PC you are on. Rebuild your laptop then copy your data back.

I

Rem1492
02-09-2010, 4:48 PM
what JB said, remove the HD, take files off of it, or copy the WHOLE thing just to be sure you dont miss some other drivers or hidden backups.

Then replace the drive in the computer, insert VISTA torrented disc, or the reinstallation discs and start fresh.

I do this about once or twice a year with my laptop.

EDIT, also just did this for a client, buy a NEW hard drive, install that sucker, then use the discs. That way should you still be missing some file, your original drive is still there with all files intact, forever.

One thing I have learned is that a 2TB external is worth every penny. Data is tough to get back and easy to cry over.

delisle
02-09-2010, 7:54 PM
some really good ideas. I will get over to frys and get an adaptor

Leon DeGamme
02-09-2010, 8:56 PM
Just buy the backup disc. It's a good thing to have in case your hard drive takes a dive and you need to reinstall the system or for problems like this. Keep it in your laptop bag, like I do.

delisle
02-10-2010, 7:17 AM
I actually had a HD adaptor from an old external HD, I opened up my laptop, hooked up the adaptor, and then plugged it into another computer and copied it to my external hard drive. Still have the same issue once hooked the HD back to the laptop but I have ordered the recovery discs from HP. Just standing by to get this resolved to get this laptop sold and outta my hair.

delisle
02-16-2010, 8:47 AM
Time for an update!

I recieved a Vista disc from a fellow calgunner and reloaded my laptop before finding out that the wife had already ordered the recovery discs from HP:censored:

So in a few days I will load those discs and put the laptop up for sale! or trade, which ever tickles my fancy

delisle
02-16-2010, 8:48 AM
BTW, thanks again to all those who took the time to give me great ideas and tips to fix my problem. Never met a bad calgunner!

JDay
02-18-2010, 11:37 PM
You'll need to buy a new one from your computers manufacture since there is an OEM key certificate the checks your OEM vista key against your bios to make sure you're using it on OEM equipment. Shouldn't cost you more than $15.

delisle
02-19-2010, 7:20 AM
You'll need to buy a new one from your computers manufacture since there is an OEM key certificate the checks your OEM vista key against your bios to make sure you're using it on OEM equipment. Shouldn't cost you more than $15.

Did that and all is fixed, thank you for the advice.

:sailor:

shanecrosby
02-19-2010, 2:16 PM
I agree. It's free, no hassle, and with luck you'll get your copy within 10 hours.

Btw, any vista cd is the same as any other. The only difference is the product key code.

Vista Home Edition

Vista Professional

Vista Ultimate

Vista * 64 bit....

Several versions...