PDA

View Full Version : AWESOME New Ideas for Open Carry Support?

Adog5
02-08-2010, 12:17 AM
The news about the 100 guys at Walnut Creek caught my attention. I'm starting a thread to see if there is a better way versus just arguing if it's stupid or not.

The banana in the holster idea - I think it kinda silly and will probably be laughed at.

So moving to the purpose of this thread, would open carry of your pistol WITHOUT your barrel constitute as a pistol and be better for these gatherings? (and WITHOUT magazine clips w/ ammo to begin with)?

I know it may sound silly (so did the bullet button idea when it was first proposed), but in this way you do not have a working firearm, but the perception of one.

Why is this better? Well, please let me list all of the good points:

1. There are laws that don't allow open carry (ie - near a school..etc.), now if you were to get caught (by accident), in court, I'd assume it they would have a weak case as clearly you didn't have a working firearm and only PARTS of a pistol? (I don't think there is constructive possession of a pistol in this case)
2. If you enter a anti-gun store (Pete's, CPK...cough cough)... you can say it's not a working gun and can't be fired. If the manager doesn't allow you there, wouldn't they have to put a sign like (no shirt, no shoes = no service)?
Yes, I guess they have the right to refuse service to anyone, but can they force you to leave as you are not technically open carrying a pistol, but PARTS to a pistol? (So if my son comes in with a airsoft pistol, it's ok even if it can shoot someones eye out, but I can't bring parts of a pistol which can do absolutely no harm to anyone?)
3. If the news can report on this (100 people gathers every Saturday displaying non-working firearms) then people will get use to this much easier. It will seem it's a peaceful demonstration instead if it's clear that all the pistols are non-working! (Then 6 months down the road, you can put the barrel back and no one will know the difference!) Right now, it's shocking to the average house-wife with a baby stroller... the purpose is to get ENOUGH attention, but not to generate OPPOSITION right? From a PR standpoint - 'If word spreads that all these guys were actually carrying non-working firearms, then it would seem better in some way... the next I see them I might not be so afraid of them'...etc.
4. If an officer stops you and says 'Hey, I need to check that your firearms is unloaded, why are you carrying in a place like this?' Your response is, 'Hi officer, I'm just demonstrating for open carry, I don't even have a working firearm on me, just parts of one for demonstrating only... you can check it and see that there's no barrel in it to even allow it to be fired.'

I can think of other benefits, but these 4 should give you a good idea of where I'm going with this. Basically, don't try to be extreme either way, but slowly push and lead the general public while keeping them in their comfort zone... no better way than to make THEM look silly.... "Hey, did you know that those pistols you see are all just for protest and non of them actually work!...hhahahah" (which I would suggest first to do this WITHOUT ammo clipped to your belt, but slowly add it once the press stops writing about Open Carry)

The bad thing about this idea: If you actually need your gun, well... run to the nearest housewife and ask her to dial 911! hahahah

Anyway, I'd like to hear how silly this idea is or if it's valid, to bring this idea to future meets of the Open Carry movement.

- Adog5

hoffmang
02-08-2010, 12:39 AM
Buy a color coded training handgun and carry that.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/botach_2090_378745636

Available here: http://www.botachtactical.com/blgusigsap22.html

-Gene

pitchbaby
02-08-2010, 1:41 AM
As far as I understand, it is the lower portion of the firearm that is considered to be the "gun". So, for example.... if you showed up to the school play at the grade school down the street with the entire upper portion of your Glock in your pocket and got caught, the law technically say's your not carrying a gun at all. If you pulled this same stunt with ONLY the lower portion of the same gun, and got caught... your BUSTED!

wildhawker
02-08-2010, 1:47 AM
Single point sling and

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/botach_2090_371578354

cbn620
02-08-2010, 3:55 AM
As far as I understand, it is the lower portion of the firearm that is considered to be the "gun". So, for example.... if you showed up to the school play at the grade school down the street with the entire upper portion of your Glock in your pocket and got caught, the law technically say's your not carrying a gun at all. If you pulled this same stunt with ONLY the lower portion of the same gun, and got caught... your BUSTED!

It's the receiver, but yeah. In the incidence of the AR, which could be said to have two receivers, only the lower is the firearm part. In the incidence of a handgun, it's the frame.

Meplat
02-08-2010, 12:45 PM
Sounds similar to break-away seat belts and rubber crutches to me! Worst of both worlds.
:nuts:

I know it may sound silly (so did the bullet button idea when it was first proposed), but in this way you do not have a working firearm, but the perception of one.

bsim
02-08-2010, 12:47 PM
a Sig P250 without the trigger group = no serial #.

Barbarossa
02-08-2010, 2:22 PM
My Mom asked me about open carry today. RE: California Pizza Kitchen in Walnut Creek.

She's no longer patronizing Starbucks.

Ezekiel2000
02-08-2010, 2:33 PM
My Mom asked me about open carry today. RE: California Pizza Kitchen in Walnut Creek.

Your mom thinks Starbucks should have went along with the Brady Campaigns request?

Peets coffee went along with the brady campaign and put a policy in place that firearms were not allowed in any of it's stores. Starbucks on the other hand told the brady campaign it would follow local laws on the matter...which I find very honorable of them! Go Starbucks! I don't even like coffee, but I'll make sure to stop in and buy a hot chocolate or some donuts :D

Barbarossa
02-08-2010, 2:46 PM
I'll have to clarify that point with her tonight. :D

I think she confused the two.

grammaton76
02-08-2010, 2:53 PM
pullnshoot25 and I were talking about (while playing around with casting lead, naturally) figuring out how to cast resin.

Then, making a crapload of blue guns specifically to be sold at cost for use at these sorts of events. You know, for when folks object to paying $36 for a blue gun... :)

snobord99
02-08-2010, 3:31 PM
pullnshoot25 and I were talking about (while playing around with casting lead, naturally) figuring out how to cast resin.

Then, making a crapload of blue guns specifically to be sold at cost for use at these sorts of events. You know, for when folks object to paying $36 for a blue gun... :)

Wouldn't a holster with a water gun be cheaper and have the same effect?

grammaton76
02-08-2010, 3:38 PM
Wouldn't a holster with a water gun be cheaper and have the same effect?

I don't believe that a water gun would enjoy the same protections as a solid-cast gun, but I could be wrong.

You could also get folks accused of filling it with urine, etc a la code pink... or some idiots might actually DO that.

asymmetricalwarfar3
02-08-2010, 3:41 PM
...or how 'bout an empty holster......

adamsreeftank
02-08-2010, 3:43 PM
I wonder if you could find a holster for it?

http://nerfguns.org/images/nerf_lock_n_load.jpg

Yellowneck86
02-08-2010, 3:45 PM
Why does it feel like history is repeating itself? I.e. Rosa parks, Martin Luther king jr, Jim crow, etc

RobG
02-08-2010, 3:47 PM

Remind her the second constitutional amendment is just as important as the ninteenth, if not more so.