PDA

View Full Version : New bay area member

ByTheBay
02-07-2010, 8:53 PM
Hey I am new member here. I don't currently own any firearms because i have always been puzzled by all the laws in CA. I have had experience shooting with family while on vacation outside of the states. I would like to learn more and start going out to the range. I am hoping to build an AK sometime soon and finally start shooting again.

I work as a restoration mechanic on old Italian and other European cars, have access to alot of tools and a machine shop.

Any idea where to get started, and things to worry about (laws, regulations ect...)

Thanks

delisle
02-08-2010, 6:16 AM
A good place to get started is the frequently asked questions section here on this site. Also if you are going to buy a hand gun here in CA you need a Handgun Safety Certificate. You can get this at any gun shop. It costs about twenty bucks and the book they will give you to study is a good place to start.

Also if you want to know more about the AK build look in the Gunsmithing and How To section of this forum.

:sailor:

ByTheBay
02-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks, I am not old enough for a handgun yet so I will have to stick to a rifle.

Steyrlp10
02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Howdy - welcome aboard!

BigDogatPlay
02-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Welcome aboard.

Definitely look at the FAQ and the Calguns Wiki for answers to many questions. As to building an AK, if you are near to the North Bay, member woodey has hosted a couple of build parties at his place. He's a good guy, I know him, and you can always come and hang out to observe and ask questions. He's got a thread open proposing another coming up in March.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=263986

7222 Hawker
02-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Welcome kid. You can learn a whole lot here. Keep your ears open, use the search button and you will learn what it took me years of reading Guns n Ammo to learn. Nice to have you.

dellgsg5
02-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Hello and welcome to calguns! Lots of good info on this site.

Ronco
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Welcome.

Just browse and read all you can. Calgunners are good people.

Gryff
02-08-2010, 1:31 PM
Not sure where you are located, but the Alameda NRA Member's Council is having a Fun Shoot on March 7th in San Leandro. Only costs $10, and you don't need to have your own firearm.

YOU'RE INVITED!

The

NRA MEMBERS' COUNCIL OF ALAMEDA COUNTY

will host its

FIRST 2010 FUN SHOOT

on

Sunday, March 7, at 11:00 a.m.
at the San Leandro Davis Street Range

Everyone is welcome!

We're holding our first 2010 Fun Shoot at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, March 7, at the San Leandro Rifle and Pistol Range (address and directions follow below).

Come and join us for a fun time shooting, and be sure to bring your non-shooting friends!

MC members: bring plenty of guns and ammo!

To our invited guests:

Be assured that we want you to have a safe, informative and fun learning experience hosted by our membership.

The only costs to you are your $10 range fee and lunch if you avail yourself of the barbeque. We provide the guns, ammunition, eye and hearing protection if needed and training. You will experience:

· A $10 range fee (discounted from the usual $13)
· A firearm handling and safety class, conducted by an NRA certified instructor
· One-on-one instruction on the firing line
· The opportunity to shoot a wide variety of firearms
· A wonderful time

MC members:

REMEMBER THAT THE MAIN PURPOSE OF OUR FUN SHOOTS IS TO INTRODUCE NEWCOMERS TO THE SHOOTING SPORTS.

IT'S UP TO YOU TO INVITE THE GUESTS AND MAKE SURE THAT THEY HAVE A GREAT EXPERIENCE!

THEREFORE, PLEASE INVITE ALL OF YOUR NON-SHOOTING FRIENDS AND RELATIVES, AND BRING LOTS OF GUNS AND AMMUNITION TO SHARE!

Everyone:

We will use our new check-in system, so please be sure to check in at our outdoor NRA/MC table.

Also, anyone wishing to join the NRA or renew their membership can do so for $25, a $10 discount off of the normal $35 annual fee.

Barbecue!

San Leandro Rifle and Pistol Range Board Member and Master Chef Bill Sprague will once again provide a barbecue lunch. For merely $5 he will thrill us with his culinary delights. The cost is reasonable, the food is tasty and the proceeds go toward the Junior Rifle Club. Please plan on partaking of his palatable provender.

Questions?

I will be happy to address any questions or concerns. Please email me at BFBOA1@aol.com.

Remember, our Fun Shoots have two basic objectives. One, of course, is to get our MC members together to socialize so we can all get to know each other and work better together as a grassroots team.

The second objective is much more important. It's to introduce newcomers to our sport. We therefore urge you, our members, to:

· Bring your non-shooting friends! Invite your family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, spouses and significant others! Especially spouses and significant others! The biggest gripe we hear from women is that their husbands and boyfriends don't take them shooting!

· Plan to share! THIS IS IMPORTANT! Bring plenty of guns and ammo to share with all the novice shooters that we host!

IMPORTANT RANGE INFORMATION:

Both handguns and rifles are fine. However, it is important to note that the range DOES NOT ALLOW RIFLE FULL METAL JACKET (FMJ), aka "ball," ammunition. Ball IS FINE FOR HANDGUNS. Also, while handgun .357 and .44 magnum loads are fine at the outdoor range, they are not allowed in the indoor range.

Minors under 12 are not allowed to shoot. Minors 12 to 16 can shoot rifles if accompanied by an adult and those 16 to 21 can also shoot handguns if accompanied by a parent, grandparent, legal guardian or, for those over 18, an adult with a parent's permission.

Range fees are each individual's responsibility. Although our Shoot starts at 11:00 a.m., on Sundays the range is open from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. We can shoot as long as we want to up to the closing time.

San Leandro Rifle and Pistol Range
3001 Davis Street
San Leandro, CA 94577
(510) 638-9605

DIRECTIONS: Take 880 to San Leandro. Take the Davis Street exit and turn west (towards the bay) on Davis. Proceed down Davis to the very end (approximately the equivalent of three or four blocks), staying close to the right-hand curb. Following the right curb will direct you right to the range’s gate and parking lot. (Following the street centerline will veer you to the left, into the Waste Management lot.)

Koolpsych
02-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Welcome to calguns! Read up on CA laws by searching the forums and asking some questions.

VIGILANCE
02-09-2010, 4:23 AM
Welcome. There is a wealth of info here....

ByTheBay
02-13-2010, 7:39 AM
Welcome aboard.

Definitely look at the FAQ and the Calguns Wiki for answers to many questions. As to building an AK, if you are near to the North Bay, member woodey has hosted a couple of build parties at his place. He's a good guy, I know him, and you can always come and hang out to observe and ask questions. He's got a thread open proposing another coming up in March.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=263986
hopefully i can make it out there and meet some of you

Not sure where you are located, but the Alameda NRA Member's Council is having a Fun Shoot on March 7th in San Leandro. Only costs $10, and you don't need to have your own firearm.

Sounds like a great place for me to start! Thanks for the info guys

B Strong
02-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Bythebay, you've come to the right place.

Welcome aboard.

Please check out:

www.calgunsfoundation.org

To see how you can help in the fight for firearms rights in California.