PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a gunsmith in SoCal/ OC area

Okami
01-13-2006, 3:17 AM
Hi all, I'm looking for a gunsmith in the Riverside, OC, Palm Springs area to cut and crown the barrel on my SKS. I know that i could do it myself but i'd rather have a pro do it. The Yugo 59/66 SKS that i have is not a rare collectable and i would like to make it a bit handier by getting rid of everything 1/2 inch past the front sight including the brake and gl leftovers.

Thanks,

~Okami

losangeles
01-13-2006, 9:19 AM
I myself am interested in a gunsmith who works with SKS. The ones I know don't do SKS, but from these forums, the following was recommended:

Gunrunners
2160 Huntington Dr, Duarte, 91010 - (626) 358-7711

I haven't used them yet but did talk on the phone about their services.

Whatever you find, please feel free to share on these boards.

NRAhighpowershooter
01-13-2006, 9:50 AM
if the barrel is chromed lined, you'll have a hard time find a 'smith to do the work.

delloro
01-13-2006, 10:03 AM
if the barrel is chromed lined, you'll have a hard time find a 'smith to do the work.

Yugo barrels are not chrome lined. it's an interesting story, they had no chrome resources. all other SKSs were chrome lined.

Ironballs
01-13-2006, 10:24 AM
I could use an m14 m1a guy in socal-

JWC6
01-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Evans at www.egsw.com works on M1A. He's in Orange. Although I'm not sure if he is on vacation now...

mr2.0
01-14-2006, 2:22 AM
^^^ He would not work on any Communist Block guns. I live like 5 mins and I tried.

trbon8r
01-14-2006, 9:16 AM
^^^ He would not work on any Communist Block guns. I live like 5 mins and I tried.

Trust me, you didn't miss anything. Been there and done that.

Okami
01-14-2006, 11:26 AM
I'll probably just do it myself.

~Okami

delloro
01-14-2006, 1:00 PM
I'll probably just do it myself.

~Okami

you can rent the muzzle crowning tools from 4D rentals. excellent deal, nice folks, great service.

Okami
01-14-2006, 4:52 PM
That would be cool!
Do you have any contact info for them?
Thanks much!

~Okami

delloro
01-14-2006, 5:17 PM
http://www.4-dproducts.com/

Okami
01-14-2006, 5:43 PM
Thanks Delloro!

~Okami

delloro
01-15-2006, 9:34 AM
anytime. I rented 2 different cutters at the sime time, not a big additional charge.

Juniper Kid
01-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Evans at www.egsw.com works on M1A. He's in Orange. Although I'm not sure if he is on vacation now...

DO NOT GIVE EVAN'S GUNSMITHING ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS, he is against all of these new AR lowers coming in the state.

With that said, I called Evan's to inquire about an AR lower because this is where my older brother had his Registered AW worked on, right after the Fed. aw expired, he was having a "special" on replacing an AR 15 compensator etc.....

When I called his shop and spoke to the owner himself, I was very surprise of his reply and that he despises the "new loophole", he even said, he spoke to someone at DOJ (Mr. Ignatius Chinn) and Mr Chinn told him, "know way know how" and he said, it in a very angry tone.

AVOID, EVAN'S GUNSMITHING FROM ORANGE AT ALL COST.

:mad:

Juniper Kid
01-15-2006, 11:10 AM
edited to add,

"no way, no how", was said.

Okami
01-15-2006, 2:05 PM
Well, since he doesn't like to work on "Commie" rifles I'm sure he won't see any of my business and thanks for the heads up!

~Okami

Black Majik
01-15-2006, 2:26 PM
DO NOT GIVE EVAN'S GUNSMITHING ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS, he is against all of these new AR lowers coming in the state.

With that said, I called Evan's to inquire about an AR lower because this is where my older brother had his Registered AW worked on, right after the Fed. aw expired, he was having a "special" on replacing an AR 15 compensator etc.....

When I called his shop and spoke to the owner himself, I was very surprise of his reply and that he despises the "new loophole", he even said, he spoke to someone at DOJ (Mr. Ignatius Chinn) and Mr Chinn told him, "know way know how" and he said, it in a very angry tone.

AVOID, EVAN'S GUNSMITHING FROM ORANGE AT ALL COST.

Even before this I've been saying to stay away from Evan for a long time. :D

kantstudien
01-15-2006, 6:58 PM
This doesn't surprise me at all, he always liked having ARs on the gun rack so he could tell noobs "That there is an assault weapon, and you can't touch it." :confused:

I think he likes being the only game in town for anyone with a registered assault weapon who wants any gunsmithing done.

saki302
01-15-2006, 8:56 PM
Funny thing is, you don't even need an FFL to work on an AR- all the hard work is in the upper, which is not a controlled part.

-Dave

JWC6
01-16-2006, 10:28 AM
I think Ironballs asked about anyone working on an M1a. Evans is the only one in OC that does so that I know.

Don't ask him about ANYTHING concerning so called AW. He had an M1a in a Sage or Troy stock "for display purposes only". He doesn't work on any communist bloc guns but I didn't ask about Norinco/poly "M1a" receivers.

Evans does the modifications for "California Bushmaster", aka the welded floor plates for bushies and colts....hence the hostile attitude to off list lowers. Lost business for him I presume.

Personally, I believe his tone is short sited. If the lowers aren't listed, there are potentially thousands of people needing some occasional work on an ar upper. If they are listed, then there potentialls thousands of people with registered AW that will need some occasional work. Win-win proposition...

Caveat emptor. For my money, I'd send the M1A to warbird, Ted Brown, or Smith Ent. For ar's, Mr Lee at CL tactical or Steve at Adco....

TrailerparkTrash
01-17-2006, 5:01 AM
What about "Bolsa Gunsmithing" in Westminster (Orange County). They've been around for a long time. Or how about "Kings Gun Works" in Glendale (Los Angeles County). Anybody recommend those guys or not?

Number 6
01-17-2006, 5:38 PM
I am not sure if they are in business still, but I was told World of Warriors in Orange will work on SKSs. Here is their phone number, (714) 637-0637.

Okami
01-17-2006, 6:04 PM
Thanks Number 6!

~Okami

grammaton76
01-17-2006, 6:07 PM
Tried checking up with Ray, at Iron Sights in Oceanside? He just fixed my Desert Eagle at a really reasonable rate. I expected to spend an arm and a leg, considering that broken metal bits were involved. :)

http://www.iron-sights.com/

Calif. Hunter
01-18-2006, 3:06 PM
Bolsa does not work on assault weapons. Fred does not to hassle with them.

deez
01-18-2006, 4:35 PM
You really don't want to go to Bolsa anyhow, they're not very good (at custom work anyhow) and their prices are HIGH.

losangeles
01-21-2006, 8:31 PM
What about "Bolsa Gunsmithing" in Westminster (Orange County). They've been around for a long time.

I called Bolsa and they don't do any work with SKS.

I bought my shotgun from Bolsa before, so I've been there.

losangeles
01-21-2006, 8:32 PM
I've still got my eye on Gunrunners that I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread. I'd like to drop off an SKS and a bunch of other milsurps to get my guns cosmoline-free and shootable.

mike452
01-21-2006, 9:22 PM
How about Bain & Davis in San Gabriel? The shop is located in Valley Bl between Del Mar and San Gabriel.
A little expensive, but seems nice.

Supernam
01-21-2006, 9:52 PM
Damn, all these places NOT to go to. I thought the thread was about places TO go.

malaya248
01-21-2006, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=Okami]Hi all, I'm looking for a gunsmith in the Riverside, OC, Palm Springs area to cut and crown the barrel on my SKS.

try calling entreprise in irwindale, i heard they use to assemble sks back in the old days and they build/assemble fal and m1.

Okami
01-23-2006, 12:55 AM
Thanks Bro!

~Okami

losangeles
01-23-2006, 8:09 AM
What we need is a resource with a cross-reference of local gunsmiths by make. For example, maybe Gunrunners would be on it for milsurps. Then, I'd be interested on who would do Glocks, then 10/22's, etc.

Here's a resource for finding gunsmiths within a certain miles of radius from your zip code. I'm not sure how comprehensive it is, and I think some of the data might be outdated. And it doesn't include each gunsmith's specialty.

Here's that search resource:
http://www.auctionarms.com/help/FFLNetwork.cfm

losangeles
01-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Here's another thread that someone has started:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=27579

The consensus seems to be to keep away from Gunrunners. I'm glad I'm finding this out now because I was seriously considering dropping a few guns there.

losangeles
01-31-2006, 12:45 PM
OK, today I've tried to call around and find some info on gunsmiths. Bain & Davis in San Gabriel might be okay. Anybody else have input on them?

Here's their info:
Bain & Davis
Phone: 626-573-4241
307 e valley blvd
san gabriel, ca

The guy who picked up the phone says they're an authorized repair center for a number of brands. I checked independently with a Net search and it's true for Bersa, Browning, Rossi and Winchester. Probably others. So that's a good sign.

He was talking about a 1-2 week turnaround on some work I need. And even faster for some things. That's reasonable.

Gunner1
01-31-2006, 12:55 PM
I can't help you on the sks but I cannot say enough about Smith enterprise they have done a bolt and barrel upgrade on one polytech M14s for me and they currently have a couple Polytechs there that are being made into their M14se Crazy horse rifles. Very nice work at reasonable rates. The turnaround on a complete rebuild is under a month if parts are in hand. My Builds are waiting for a new batch of barrels to arrive but should be home soon.

Gunner

eje
01-31-2006, 12:59 PM
I had a good experience with Bain and Davis recently. I bought a pre-64 Winchester 94 on an internet auction, and brought it to them for a detail strip, inspection and cleaning. I asked them to check if the magazine tube spring needed replacement (because the rifle is about 50 years old). They had a quick 2-day turn around and told me I didn't need a new magazine tube spring, which I appreciated. Can't speak for their gunsmithing, but my experience there was positive and I'd probably go back to them if I needed other work done. Walking into their shop is like stepping back in time, they've got fliers from the 80's on the walls! People there seemed nice too.