PDA

View Full Version : Off-Roster Handguns - Moving out of California then Back

Para45
02-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Alright guys, I've got a theoretical situation that I'm wondering about:

Say you're a California resident, obtain some off-roster handguns through intrafamilial, PPT w/LEO etc etc and register them with CA DOJ. Then you move to another state and gain residency in said state. So what would happen if you decide to move back to California....your registered off-roster handguns should still be good to go, right?? Sorry if this has been covered before but couldn't find it on the search. Thanks in advance for any info on the subject!

GrizzlyGuy
02-07-2010, 12:49 PM
I think you'd be fine, see here (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/The_Safe_Handgun_List#Other_exempt_transactions_an d_conditions):

Handguns moved into the state by new residents are not affected by the Roster.

In your scenario, you'd still be a new resident, even though you had lived here in the past.

lorax3
02-07-2010, 12:59 PM
No issues.
You would need to register any handguns you obtained out of state if you are coming here again as a resident.

This only applies to handguns you received while out of state.

No need to re-register the handguns you had obtained while in CA even if they were previously unregistered.

Normal AW rules still apply. If you got them legally in CA before, they should be legal now unless a new AW regulation were to pass.

Para45
02-07-2010, 1:06 PM
haha wow thanks guys....shoulda had my morning coffee!! Of course the new resident clause would cover it!! Thanks for the quick replies!!

Mssr. Eleganté
02-07-2010, 1:27 PM
...Of course the new resident clause would cover it!!!

Just so you are clear about what lorax3 posted, you do not need to re-register any of the handguns that you had previously already registered in California. You do not need to submit a "new resident" registration form for them when you move back.

bwiese
02-07-2010, 1:48 PM
Just so you are clear about what lorax3 posted, you do not need to re-register any of the handguns that you had previously already registered in California. You do not need to submit a "new resident" registration form for them when you move back.

Correct, you don't need to reregister something that's already registered to you. Moving out of state does not kill the registration status for your eventual return.