View Full Version : Follower getting stuck down on 10 round Black Dog Mags

02-06-2010, 10:35 PM
I got a bunch of Black Dog Machine mags I am using. These are the 10 rounders (AR style) that have the same profile as a standard 20 round AR mag. A few of them are having issues with the follower getting stuck all the way down. If I load them with 10 rounds, the follower will get stuck in the mag and not put any pressure on the cartridges. After I shoot the first round, the follower will not push up on the ammunition. When I take the mags out of the rifle, the rounds will come out when I tilt the mag upside down (because I already shot the 1st round there is free space). I have tried hitting the side of the mag with my hand to free up the follower, and this works occasionally. Other times I have had to use a wire coat hanger to prod the follower through the top of the mag to free it up.

These mags are all basically new. Is there some break in time needed? Anyone have any idea whats going on here?

02-06-2010, 10:43 PM
something may be catching the follower? i would take it apart and maybe file down the space a bit to see if that helps?

02-06-2010, 10:59 PM
I can tell its stuck on that circular plastic piece right over the "BL" lettering in the second picture. All of the magazines have the circular plastic piece...

There is a little piece of plastic that is getting stuck behind it, which you can see pretty well in picture 2.

02-06-2010, 11:09 PM
The followers need to have the flashing removed from the molding process. Just take a razor blade to them once you've removed them from the magazine. You'll need an allen key to open up the mag body and remove the follower.

02-06-2010, 11:10 PM
I figured it was something like that because on ly a few of them do it, while others I have never had a problem.

Thanks for the info bdsmchs

02-06-2010, 11:34 PM
that happened to both of my bdm mags too...

02-07-2010, 2:40 AM
Although it didn't happen on mine, I saw the potential for it when I had the mags apart to shave them down to make them fit the mag well better.

What I did was use an exacto knife to scrape any sharp corners off of the follower where it can touch the mag body, and dust the area where it and the spring ride with powdered graphite.

Jim McCoin
02-07-2010, 9:33 AM
I bought three BDM mags for my M261 kit, they all have that spud cast in the interior of them. None of the followers get hung up on the spud, I know for a fact if you remove that spud you will no longer have a 10 Round Only Mag.

Maybe some one can email BDM and see if there is a later version of the follower.

Just a thought.

02-07-2010, 10:24 AM
I was just thinking of shaving a little plastic off the male end of the follower that is getting stuck behind the "spud," not taking the spud off itself. That way the mag is still a 10 rounder but the follwer wont get pinched behind it. I will probably also use the exacto knife to shave down the edges slightly on the follower for smoother operation as suggested above. I got 8 of them to practice on!

02-07-2010, 1:51 PM
QC must not be high on the things to do list at BDM's.

02-07-2010, 6:36 PM
maybe theyve been too busy copying S&W's magazine :rofl2:

02-07-2010, 10:01 PM
maybe theyve been too busy copying S&W's magazine :rofl2:

Really? S&W was the first company EVER to include a way to manually bring down the follower with your thumb to ease loading of a magazine?

Guess all my MKI/MKII mags are just S&W copies then. Wonder who else copied S&W.

02-08-2010, 1:13 PM
Apparently walther did too cause my p22 has thumb assists on its mags too. :)

02-08-2010, 1:32 PM
There was a thread last year on this, had diagrams on how to fix it. Can't find that thread. On the follower there's a small nick near the bottom middle that needs to sanded down flush. It seems during the creation of the follower, there's some left over plastic from the injection molding. Happened to me when I first got the 10/10 BDM's. You need to open up the magazine up to get to the follower and file this really tiny nick.

02-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Open mag and cut the tab where my green box is. Problem solved. I did this on my old 10/26 BDM mags when I replaced the followers. This was BDM's solution too although it was late and I have done it already :o

02-09-2010, 8:08 PM
I would let BDM know of the issue. We can't let poor quality into their line.

02-12-2010, 1:52 PM
Will do tecstar, and thanks for the clarification Zman, will cut them off before my next range trip.

02-14-2010, 7:23 PM
Thanks for that tidbit Jim.

02-20-2010, 11:46 PM
i bought a 10rd BDM mag recently (actually marked Sig Sauer SIG522, but it has the BDM logo) and it does not have that "tail" at the bottom of the follower. must be a newer version.

02-21-2010, 12:40 AM
As zman showed that IS the way to fix it just cut the tab off... Takes just a minute per mag and then no issues... I posted something about cutting that tab off about 3 months ago... But I am bad at earching on our favorite site here. OP also cutting the pin out will do the same thing but your illegal then because now your 10/15 would be a 15 rd mag or 10/26 a 26 rd mag. Just lop the tab and call it good. BDM old mags (with no BHO feature) do not have that tab anyway... Just the new bolt hold open followers seem to.

02-22-2010, 6:40 PM
So after cutting my followers the mags all worked perfectly. The funny think is I noticed 4/8 BDM mags I had already had the followers cut, either at the factory or by the vendor! I could see that they had originally been there and someone had snipped them off.

All the mags function perfectly now.

Happy shooting!