PDA

View Full Version : Yugo SKS

brainbugnj
01-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Hey folks wanted everyones take on the Yugo SKS rifles, a lot of these going around and I was thinking of adding one to my very small collection of rifles... any tips on where to get them and or legality issues? and third just overall quality of the rifle?

sintax
01-12-2006, 11:42 AM
legality....just make sure you dont have a GL on it and you'll be in good shape. I am a big fan of the Yugo M59, as it did not come with a GL and is bit lighter then its older brother the 59/66

MrTuffPaws
01-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Legality? Well, you can't really mod it due to 922r fed law. Also, you can't have a detachable mag. Other than that, you are good to go.

timmy8151
01-12-2006, 1:29 PM
If you have a C&R FFL, then you can purchase a modified 59/66 from a couple of dealers. I know that Interordnance and Classic Arms both sell 59/66's with the grenadge launcher removed.

IIRC Interordnance has brand new Yugo 59/66's in stock.

Hopi
01-12-2006, 1:56 PM
If you have a C&R FFL, then you can purchase a modified 59/66 from a couple of dealers. I know that Interordnance and Classic Arms both sell 59/66's with the grenadge launcher removed.

IIRC Interordnance has brand new Yugo 59/66's in stock.

This isn't true, the yugo's don't fall under the 50-year rule in california, and thus are not considered C and R eligible in this state.

Major Miner II
01-12-2006, 1:58 PM
I might be off the mark here, but I thought the only sks you couldn't own in CA was one with a removable mag.

This isn't true, the yugo's don't fall under the 50-year rule in california, and thus are not considered C and R eligible in this state.

Hopi
01-12-2006, 2:03 PM
I might be off the mark here, but I thought the only sks you couldn't own in CA was one with a removable mag.

You can own the yugos if they don't have the grenade launcher attachment, but they are not classified as Curio and Relic eligible by the state so all buying must be done through a Ca FFL. Unfortunately, you can't just order one through the mail with your C and R license.

Major Miner II
01-12-2006, 2:04 PM
You can own the yugos if they don't have the grenade launcher attachment, but they are not classified as Curio and Relic eligible by the state so all buying must be done through a Ca FFL. Unfortunately, you can't just order one through the mail with your C and R license.
Okay. You scared me there for a minute. I'm looking to buy an sks.

timmy8151
01-12-2006, 2:43 PM

Not entirely true. IIRC the 50 year rule applies to guns sold within the state and not interstate C&R FFL purchases. I can't find the thread, but the DOJ ruled that it was ok to purchase modified 59/66's.

If you call up Interordnance or Classic Arms, they'll tell you that the DOJ has told them the same thing.

losangeles
01-12-2006, 3:24 PM
Not entirely true. IIRC the 50 year rule applies to guns sold within the state and not interstate C&R FFL purchases. I can't find the thread, but the DOJ ruled that it was ok to purchase modified 59/66's.

If you call up Interordnance or Classic Arms, they'll tell you that the DOJ has told them the same thing.

Sigh, wow this subject sure goes back and forth in different threads. I'm getting my C&R soon and want to get a 59/66 but I want to do this thing right.

Hopi
01-12-2006, 3:53 PM

That is contrary to my understanding and is not consistent with the California C and R rules. What you're saying, correct me if I am misreading here, is that any federally classified curio and relic rifle (non NFA or class III) can be sent to a c and r holder in ca as long as it is from out of state, regardless of the 50 year rule? And the 50 year rule only applies to c and r rifles sold from one ca resident to another?

Do these 50+ year old rifles need to be transferred through an ffl when sold
P2P in California?

timmy8151
01-12-2006, 4:35 PM
It is weird. I didn't believe until I read on another forum of CA C&R FFL's purchasing modified Yugo's from I/O. I actually called I/O to confirm this and they said that it was legal to sell them in CA.

Gunner1
01-12-2006, 4:38 PM
Bought a couple myself, the 50 year thing applies to sale in the state by dealers to the public. Not out of state suppliers selling to C&R FFL holders

Gunner

Hopi
01-12-2006, 4:44 PM
Allrighty then, nice work! So, as long as the gun is on the fed c and r list, regardless of age, I can then import it into Ca with my license?! That is great news, and a much appreciated clarification.

I love being wrong when being wrong feels this right!

Rascal
01-12-2006, 7:19 PM
Hey folks wanted everyones take on the Yugo SKS rifles, a lot of these going around and I was thinking of adding one to my very small collection of rifles... any tips on where to get them and or legality issues? and third just overall quality of the rifle?

Well if you live around the Bay Area, Irvington Arms, in Fremont usually has them in stock.
I have 2 of them and they are a gas to shoot. Cheapest plinker other than a 10/22. I always take one along anytime I go shooting.

slowjonn
01-12-2006, 7:26 PM
I bought a couple 59/66's a few years ago. I am pretty sure I got them from Century International. They would not ship directly to me because they were modified (GL removed and brake put on), even though I had a C&R. Had to have them shipped to my FFL and wait 10 days. Like I said, this was a few years ago. Is this something new that now they can be shipped to a C&R holder now?

As far as quality and such, they are great shooters. Mine looked brand new and run flawlessly. A definite recommendation if a SKS is what you are looking for!