PDA

View Full Version : Removing MSH lock from a pistol?

Infidelxx
02-06-2010, 2:24 PM
I am wondering if there is any case law pertaining to this type of incident.

Say you buy a firearm that has a MSH lock. The lock is not required by law but the gun you bought originally had it. Then you decide to remove the lock. At some point a child discharges the weapon or it is stolen and used in a crime or you use it in self defense and Kill someone with the weapon. Is there any worry of being found negligent/liable or worse for modifying the weapon?

yoteassasin
02-06-2010, 3:03 PM
prove it!:cool2:

NiteQwill
02-06-2010, 4:07 PM
No.

dantodd
02-06-2010, 4:13 PM
It shouldn't be a problem. There is no requirement to keep a gun in the configuration in which you purchased it. Converting off-roster handguns to single shot is an example that comes to mind. You can also change barrels and caliber without effect, get a trigger job done. etc. etc.

However; if the gun is involved in an incident and the lawyers find out about the alteration it is likely that any civil suit will include accusations by the plaintiffs that by disconnecting the MSH lock you created a DEADLY handgun likely to jump out of your safe and kill someone at any moment and clearly you made this change because you area vigilante who was just looking for an opportunity to shoot someone. These are of course all false but it may or may not play well for a jury in CA.

This is a VERY marginal issue. Legally I am not aware of any statute that would prevent what you want to do.

bigcalidave
02-06-2010, 4:41 PM
I don't like anything that can interfere with the safe operation of the gun. Locks must go!!

Knauga
02-06-2010, 5:37 PM
I replaced the MSH with locks on my Springers with standard MSH. There is nothing illegal or immoral in doing so. If anything it is undoing the abomination of having the thing installed on the gun in the first place! :D

B Strong
02-06-2010, 6:10 PM
I am wondering if there is any case law pertaining to this type of incident.

Say you buy a firearm that has a MSH lock. The lock is not required by law but the gun you bought originally had it. Then you decide to remove the lock. At some point a child discharges the weapon or it is stolen and used in a crime or you use it in self defense and Kill someone with the weapon. Is there any worry of being found negligent/liable or worse for modifying the weapon?

Massad Ayoob would claim that you would be absolutely liable, and not to do it.

Others would attempt to find a case where this occurred, and would probably come up empty.

I will tell you this: You can be sued for going to church on Sunday if somebody is so inclined, so do what you want to do, but make sure your pistol doesn't get stolen, or is accessible to unauthorized hands, and if you sell the thing include the original parts.