View Full Version : more on the Terry Stop

02-06-2010, 12:13 PM
if already posted, please delete

02-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Judge Michael A. Ponsor
“I guess my question is what is a middle aged guy with a suit carrying a briefcase doing packing a handgun and walking around downtown Springfield? Is this becoming Dodge City here where everybody’s going to be carrying firearms?”

“Every time anybody’s at a chicken place and somebody pulls out a handgun we’ll have bullets flying in 16 different directions and its mutual destruction and we’re really two seconds away from gun firing breaking out. I’m really, really, really bothered by that.”

“I’m really appalled to hear that that many people are carrying guns.”

“You have the right to do a lot of things. It doesn’t mean you have the right to be free from an inquiry about what you’re doing.”

“I find on the undisputed facts of this case that the police officer had the right under the Terry decision to stop and make inquiry of the plaintiff once he recognized that he was walking in public and carrying a firearm that was visible to him from where he was seated in his squad car.”

The judge seems to have some pretty whacky, anti-gun views, but I don't necessarily disagree with his ruling that a Terry stop was justified in this situation. I could do without his silly fears that gunfights will break out if people are armed.

02-06-2010, 12:56 PM
The judges first question should have been how many criminals were walking around downtown Springfield packing handguns.

The answer to that might well be the answer to what he actually asked.

02-06-2010, 1:01 PM
"Every time anybody’s at a chicken place..."

LOL - is this a veiled reference to fried chicken and racial stereotypes??

And sorry, I think that accepting a government document at face value, absent other extenuating circumstances, should be mandatory for government agents....

....or is this Mass bozo going to allow cops to impound driver's licenses and vehicles at whim??

02-06-2010, 1:38 PM
Armed != Dangerous.

02-06-2010, 3:04 PM
I'm scared of chicken places now.

02-06-2010, 5:33 PM
Don't worry, you'll just get "winged".

02-06-2010, 5:56 PM
“You have the right to do a lot of things. It doesn’t mean you have the right to be free from an inquiry about what you’re doing.”

Actually, that's precisely what the 4th Amendment means. You do have the right to be free from an inquiry if you're not doing anything illegal. Where do we find these brainiacs? Do we specifically look for them to fill in the judge positions?